PG27AQN custom resolution
04-27-2023, 12:48 AM
PG27AQN custom resolution
Hello all,

maybe you can save me... I have really tried everything.
The only thing I want is a resolution of 1720x1440 @360Hz. The monitor should do it easily, 1920x1440 runs without problems.
Unfortunately when I use CRU the resolution is not displayed. In the Nvidia driver it is not possible to create a custom resolution.
Do you have a solution or maybe a short time to start a team session? With an old driver it should have worked (unfortunately my graphics card is too new for the driver...) You would really make many people happy.

1000 thanks in advance

Simsel

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/commen...solutions/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2023, 05:55 AM (Last edited: 04-27-2023, 05:56 AM by m4ste3)
RE: PG27AQN custom resolution
I have the same issue. It seems like Nvidia has to fix it in the driver. It's kind of odd for a +$1000 monitor to only have four resolutions and not be able to create custom ones. Also, I cannot even change the Hz. Perhaps submitting a formal request on Nvidia's forums could be helpful, but I am not familiar with the technical details to explain why it is not possible. Undecided My hope is rather low that Nvidia will address this problem because this monitor is on bleeding edge at the moment.

(04-27-2023 12:48 AM)SimselOr Wrote:  Hello all,

maybe you can save me... I have really tried everything.
The only thing I want is a resolution of 1720x1440 @360Hz. The monitor should do it easily, 1920x1440 runs without problems.
Unfortunately when I use CRU the resolution is not displayed. In the Nvidia driver it is not possible to create a custom resolution.
Do you have a solution or maybe a short time to start a team session? With an old driver it should have worked (unfortunately my graphics card is too new for the driver...) You would really make many people happy.

1000 thanks in advance

Simsel

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/commen...solutions/
04-29-2023, 05:34 AM
The problem is NVIDIA currently does not support custom resolutions or GPU scaling with Display Stream Compression (DSC), so the refresh rate gets lowered to one that doesn't require DSC. It should be possible to create custom resolutions with CRU (did you read the part about extension blocks?), but another issue is monitors with the G-SYNC processor only support a limited set of resolutions, so it probably won't display 1720x1440 @ 360 Hz, which means you have to use GPU scaling, but you can't use GPU scaling at 360 Hz because of the DSC limitation.
04-30-2023, 03:53 PM
(04-29-2023 05:34 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  The problem is NVIDIA currently does not support custom resolutions or GPU scaling with Display Stream Compression (DSC), so the refresh rate gets lowered to one that doesn't require DSC. It should be possible to create custom resolutions with CRU (did you read the part about extension blocks?), but another issue is monitors with the G-SYNC processor only support a limited set of resolutions, so it probably won't display 1720x1440 @ 360 Hz, which means you have to use GPU scaling, but you can't use GPU scaling at 360 Hz because of the DSC limitation.

Thank you for your detailed explanation!
I found a "solution" (by random). Not quite satisfactory but it works in window mode:

Temporary solution:
If you have a second monitor with the same resolution and create a custom resolution there. You can then set the resolution in Windows to for example 1720x1440. However, the second monitor must be connected, otherwise there is no selection option in the Windows display settings. It is important to set the resolution to 2560 x 1440 @360Hz beforehand and then change it in the Windows display settings. Then you also have the 360Hz...
Please Asus and Nvidia gives us the possibility to create a custom resolution for the monitor.... It definitely can...