Force resolution on a mobile GF610M ?
08-27-2016, 06:00 PM
Question Force resolution on a mobile GF610M ?
Hi all.

I've been for a few years the owner of an Acer Aspire 7739G, which comes equipped with an i5 with onboard Intel HD gfx, plus a (meager, plus still it's something) GeForce 610M mobile GPU with 1Gb onboard RAM.
But from day 1, I've never been able to make the latter work : it's equipped with the Optimus technology which is supposed to switch to the GF GPU when doing intensive graphics works and then switch back to the Intel gfx to save battery when everything gets back to desktop applications.
Now, I've never used my laptop for gaming so this has never been an issue, but it still nags at my mind of having paid for something that doesn't work (and never did, even right out of the box -though it took me a load of time to notice it) : there are two gfx cards appearing in the device manager, one "Intel integrated gfx controller" or so, and the GF is recognized as a "standard VGA adapter". When I try to install the provided drivers for the GF and PhysX, PhysX installs but the GF driver spits out a "no compatible hardware found". :/
After some digging up lately on the legacy nvidia driver site, I managed to find a driver that will install, but on reboot gives me a BSOD "IRRECOVERABLE HARDWARE ERROR", until I reboot in safe mode and manually disable the Intel gfx controller. Then it reboots correctly, but on an ugly-ass 1024X768 resolution, which can't seem to be pushed up in the settings (while with the Intel controller the screen supports 1600x900/32bit/60Hz)... Sad

So my question is : do any of you gurus know of a way I could hack the settings of the GF controller (either via .inf file editing, registry or whatever) so's to lock the screen onto the nvidia GPU with a resolution of 1600/900 permanently (nevermind battery usage : this laptop stays plugged in all the time) ?

That would be a big help Smile Thx to anyone willing to dig into this (and apologies if it's been covered elsewhere, but i've been crawling the net for a week looking for a solution now and came up with nothing :'( ).

Cheers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2016, 03:49 AM
RE: Force resolution on a mobile GF610M ?
You shouldn't have to force a resolution, and you won't be able to anyway without the proper drivers. I don't know why the GeForce driver won't install. You shouldn't need to use a legacy driver. The 610M should be supported by the latest driver. Maybe you need to install the correct Intel driver first, or maybe there's an issue with the hardware. You shouldn't have to disable the Intel GPU for this to work.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply