Forcing 1920x1080 on 4k capable monitors in Surround impossible?
08-30-2016, 10:31 AM (Last edited: 08-30-2016, 12:28 PM by Ola Brahmmar)
Forcing 1920x1080 on 4k capable monitors in Surround impossible?
I have a PC that simply refuses to run the monitors at their native (recommended) 1920x1080 resolution when in Nvidia Surround mode.

System: 6900k, 64Gb ram, Asus Rampage V Ed 10. Win 10 64bit, Aniversay upd.

GTX 1080 in 2-way SLI (single flexible sli bridge)

Nvidia 372.54 driver.

monitors:
Nec X555UNS (55") in portrait orientation connected through HDMI cables with DisplayPort adapters at the PC end.

The monitors accept 4k input but then scales it down to their native HD res.

In "Disable SLI" and "Activate all displays" mode there is no problem choosing correct resolution, but whenever i run "Configure surround" in Nvidia control panel, it comes up with a 10800 x ~3000 @ 24Hz resolution. You can imagine how slugish 5x4k gets even on dual GTX1080.

If i then try to manually pick 5400x1920 as resolution for the full Surround, screens goes black for a few seconds but ends up back on 4k per monitor.

A few rather obscure non-4k resolutions work - like 3840x1377 (1377x768 per monitor) and 5250x1400 (1400x1050 per monitor) (Portrait mode on monitors).

The Nvidia Control Panel is a very poor and buggy application in this 5 monitor setup!

I have tried using CRU 1.2.6 - in "Activate all displays" mode i have removed ALL resolution except 1920x1080 for all 5 monitors, 'no extension block', then sign out and in again, then "configure surround", but with the same result.

I also tried using Monitor Asset Tool, extracted an .inf fil from the monitor.
Looking through the file, i find only mentions of 1920x1080 and lower resolutions so i did not make any changes to the .inf file.
Then booting in "allow unsigned drivers mode", i update the driver for each monitor with the created .inf file to get an edid override.
Then when i get to the "Configure Surround, i still get the same 4k per monitor resolution (10800 x 3840 in total, 3840x2160 per monitor)

I have tried connecting all monitors to only DisplayPort, or mixed - some DisplayPort and some HDMI, and even DP+HDMI+DVI - though the cables from the monitors are all HDMI, but then with various adapters.

I have 3 of these computers, each with 5 of the large NEC monitors.
Same problem on all three systems. One of the systems have DisplayPort cable without any adapters directly from monitors to graphics card. Same problem on that system.

(I have also tried with two slightly older driver versions, same result).

I happily arrange with a finders reward for anyone who can find a solution to this

Best regards, Ola

(What we run on this system? Bad-ass 3D graphics, multiple users. The screens have a giant touch-sensor around them so up to 3 ppl can interact with the application simultaneously)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2016, 01:52 AM
RE: Forcing 1920x1080 on 4k capable monitors in Surround impossible?
(08-30-2016 10:31 AM)Ola Brahmmar Wrote:  I have tried using CRU 1.2.6 - in "Activate all displays" mode i have removed ALL resolution except 1920x1080 for all 5 monitors, 'no extension block', then sign out and in again, then "configure surround", but with the same result.
Use the "Custom extension block" option (you don't need anything in it), and make sure to reboot, not just sign out and back in. Make sure 3840x2160 doesn't exist on any of the monitors before configuring Surround.

If that doesn't help, edit the custom extension block and add an HDMI support data block on all the monitors. If that still doesn't work, then you'll have to bug NVIDIA about this because this is a driver issue.
08-31-2016, 08:22 AM
RE: Forcing 1920x1080 on 4k capable monitors in Surround impossible?
Thank you! You were 100% right all along, had i only read "the fine print" in your instructions for CRU.
In my first round i missed the Custom extension block detail. And i see it is even in *bold* letters Big Grin

So got it working now! And gosh are Nvidias control panel + driver combo buggy! I feel the nvidia control panel needs a real overhaul.