Framerate locks to 30fps with vsync enabled in eyefinity
02-06-2019, 11:29 PM
Wink Framerate locks to 30fps with vsync enabled in eyefinity
Dell 24" U2412M
HP Omen 32" Freesync (main display)
Dell 24" U2412M

My framerates are locked to 30fps when vsync is enabled, vsync off and its well over 100fps.

before it was working fine on my r9 290x... DVI - Displayport - DVI
I upgraded to a vega and having no DVI I used 3 Displayports.

Heres the thing if I change the main display to one of the Dells it seems to work fine, a solid 60fps, smooth gameplay etc.. but there is 1 single tear line across the Omen which I cant get rid off.

Would the Omen be sending a rate/timing and the Dells cant keep up and it slighty drops under 60fps causing the fps to cap to 30?

Ive tried different driver versions. changed lots of settings in AMD settings,
reinstalled windows 7 etc..

I played around with CRU but getting nowhere. heres a pic of my default settings in CRU
https://i.postimg.cc/L6KWhGQN/omen-dell.jpg

This user had the same problem but I cant get the horizontal/vertical totals and the refresh rate exactly the same as when I change a value it auto changes the other

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...iple-ports

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-07-2019, 03:03 AM
RE: Framerate locks to 30fps with vsync enabled in eyefinity
(02-06-2019 11:29 PM)triplesync Wrote:  Would the Omen be sending a rate/timing and the Dells cant keep up and it slighty drops under 60fps causing the fps to cap to 30?
No, this is not a monitor issue as vsync is handled by the GPU, so it's not synchronizing with the monitor correctly. Windows has always had issues with synchronizing multiple monitors with different resolutions or refresh rates. Are you using FreeSync?

(02-06-2019 11:29 PM)triplesync Wrote:  I played around with CRU but getting nowhere. heres a pic of my default settings in CRU

This user had the same problem but I cant get the horizontal/vertical totals and the refresh rate exactly the same as when I change a value it auto changes the other
I don't see why not. Changing the totals would only affect the refresh rate if the radio button is on the horizontal scan rate or pixel clock. Changing the refresh rate should not affect the totals. You should be able to type in 2720 and 1481 for the totals and 59.95 for the refresh rate and have the frequencies match perfectly on all monitors. The only problem is I don't know if the Dell will accept such a large blanking. The other option is to try setting the HP to 2720 and 1475 and the Dell to 2080 and 1225 to get exactly 60 Hz on all monitors, but there's no guarantee the video card will synchronize them.
02-07-2019, 08:33 PM (Last edited: 02-07-2019, 09:17 PM by triplesync)
(02-07-2019 03:03 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(02-06-2019 11:29 PM)triplesync Wrote:  No, this is not a monitor issue as vsync is handled by the GPU, so it's not synchronizing with the monitor correctly. Windows has always had issues with synchronizing multiple monitors with different resolutions or refresh rates. Are you using FreeSync?

I don't see why not. Changing the totals would only affect the refresh rate if the radio button is on the horizontal scan rate or pixel clock. Changing the refresh rate should not affect the totals. You should be able to type in 2720 and 1481 for the totals and 59.95 for the refresh rate and have the frequencies match perfectly on all monitors. The only problem is I don't know if the Dell will accept such a large blanking. The other option is to try setting the HP to 2720 and 1475 and the Dell to 2080 and 1225 to get exactly 60 Hz on all monitors, but there's no guarantee the video card will synchronize them.

Thanks for the reply Toasty. yes im using freesync, with it off it still happens.

I typed in 2720 and 1481 for the totals and 59.95 for the refresh rate and you were right the Dells threw a wobbler!

Also tried the HP 2720 and 1475 and the Dell to 2080 and 1225 the same capped 30fps.

Not sure where to go from here, my other card worked perfect with DVI, do you reckon it would work using 2 passive DP to DVI adaptors for the Dells?

I also tried HDMI on the HP with the same results and HDMI to 1 Dell with DVI adaptor.

Looking at the properties pic again why is the DELL 'V rate 50 - 61 Hz', I thought it should be 60Hz and the HP 'H rate is at 115 - 115 KHz'

Thanks for your time

Quick update...
Just to test I resized the eyefinity group to expand the HP to its native vertical 1440 (see pic below) and it works perfect! smooth as silk at 60fps vsync on (btw im using G-SYNC Pendulum Demo)
Does that give any more clues to the problem? that expanded eyefinity group is no use to me :-(

https://i.postimg.cc/6Q8xTsWj/expanded.jpg
02-08-2019, 09:26 PM
This really seems like a driver bug or hardware limitation. It should be possible to synchronize with a particular monitor, but clearly this isn't happening. Passive DP to DVI adapters will act like single-link DVI ports, so that might help work around the problem, but then HDMI should have worked as well.

The range limits don't matter on the Dells. That's mainly information about what the monitor will accept, and it might not even be accurate. On the HP, the V rate controls the FreeSync range, and the min/max H rate always matches when FreeSync is enabled.
02-09-2019, 08:13 PM
(02-08-2019 09:26 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  This really seems like a driver bug or hardware limitation. It should be possible to synchronize with a particular monitor, but clearly this isn't happening. Passive DP to DVI adapters will act like single-link DVI ports, so that might help work around the problem, but then HDMI should have worked as well.
Im thinking that too. Ive ordered 2 cheap DP DVI adaptors to test

(02-08-2019 09:26 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  The range limits don't matter on the Dells. That's mainly information about what the monitor will accept, and it might not even be accurate. On the HP, the V rate controls the FreeSync range, and the min/max H rate always matches when FreeSync is enabled.

thats good info for furture ref, thanks for your help Toasty
02-13-2019, 09:21 PM
(02-09-2019 08:13 PM)triplesync Wrote:  
(02-08-2019 09:26 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  This really seems like a driver bug or hardware limitation. It should be possible to synchronize with a particular monitor, but clearly this isn't happening. Passive DP to DVI adapters will act like single-link DVI ports, so that might help work around the problem, but then HDMI should have worked as well.
Im thinking that too. Ive ordered 2 cheap DP DVI adaptors to test

(02-08-2019 09:26 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  The range limits don't matter on the Dells. That's mainly information about what the monitor will accept, and it might not even be accurate. On the HP, the V rate controls the FreeSync range, and the min/max H rate always matches when FreeSync is enabled.

thats good info for furture ref, thanks for your help Toasty

Tried the DP > DVI adaptors - nothing changed :-(
02-16-2019, 12:25 AM
You might have better results with Windows 10 as a lot of internal changes have been made since Windows 7.
02-16-2019, 10:26 AM
(02-16-2019 12:25 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  You might have better results with Windows 10 as a lot of internal changes have been made since Windows 7.

I have tried windows 10, same problem, I done more tests and the problem happens on a single monitor aswell, anytime the display is scaled down from full screen it locks 30fps. doesnt matter what resolution its at or what single monitor its on, single hdmi and displayport, dp > dvi... same problem.

Ive trawled the forums and ppl have been having problems with scaling in games but not locking to 30fps with vsync on

also it works ok in window mode.

I tried a bunch of different drivers going back to the release of vega, using DDU to clean the drivers.

ive exhausted all my ideas, Im beginning to think its a faulty card now :-(