HELP: Incompatible Resolutions Appeard, Cant Remove, AMD 780m
01-12-2024, 11:06 PM
HELP: Incompatible Resolutions Appeard, Cant Remove, AMD 780m
Hello,
I have Legion Go handheld.
One day a bunch of 16:9 resolutions appeared, by default this device has 3 resolutions, all 3 are 16:10

They not on CRU, CRU shows single resolution.
I tried using SRE, deleted everything, rebooted ZERO change
I did drive uninstaller, did clean driver installer, no change

And the option "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" is grayed out

Any suggestions? Can it be windows resolutions, how they can be deleted from registry?

Windows 11

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-14-2024, 02:24 AM
RE: HELP: Incompatible Resolutions Appeard, Cant Remove, AMD 780m
What resolutions appeared, and what resolutions were there by default?
01-14-2024, 12:28 PM (Last edited: 01-14-2024, 12:47 PM by Hexenhammer)
(01-14-2024 02:24 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  What resolutions appeared, and what resolutions were there by default?

Hi,
The default it had 3 16:10 resolutions, also it has its own pop-up application with quick settings and just these 3 there
1600p, 1200p, 800p,

And these 16:9 appeared
1440p, 1080p, 1000p, 900p, 720p

I cant choose "hide unsupported resolutions" since it uses windows default driver and that option is grayed out

CRU shows just 1600P
SRE had a bunch of resolutions i deleted all of them, zero effect

So i have no idea where these 16:9 resolutions from

This is the only image i managed to find, but it shows two extra 16:10 resolutions added with registry file, 1680x1050 and 1440x900 [you can ignore them]
By default Legion GO has just 3 options, because device has Integer Scaling and RSR they all interconnected.
Of course 16:9 shouldn't be there, its a small screen device 8.8inch, they just confuse the games, add to this the fact that screen is portrait and some games confused anyway and appear distorted, i just want to get rid of them without re-installing windows.

[Image: How-To-Create-A-1050p-900p-Resolution-On...n-Go-2.png]
01-14-2024, 10:27 PM
What driver did you install? Normally the graphics driver adds some common resolutions as scaled resolutions even if the aspect ratio doesn't match. It's not normal to only have three resolutions.
01-14-2024, 10:45 PM
(01-14-2024 10:27 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  What driver did you install? Normally the graphics driver adds some common resolutions as scaled resolutions even if the aspect ratio doesn't match. It's not normal to only have three resolutions.

This device comes with just 3 resolutions, its a handheld, it doesn't even support multi refresh rates, only 60 and 144.

I used newest Official Lenovo Driver, the AMD Adrenalin is not compatible, it wont even install [if you force it by unpacking and manually installing the inf, it will play games but will have serious issues with overlays and other functions that will be running at native Portrait resolution, even thou the screen is locked in windows settings.]
Only Lenovo official driver fix this orientation bug.

So each time a new driver comes out we need to wait for Lenovo to customize it and post on their web site

Do you know of any ways to find resolutions in windows registry to delete them? is there any tools for that or to do it manually? what are my options?

Thanks
01-15-2024, 12:53 AM
(01-14-2024 10:45 PM)Hexenhammer Wrote:  Do you know of any ways to find resolutions in windows registry to delete them? is there any tools for that or to do it manually? what are my options?
Windows itself doesn't have resolutions in the registry. The resolutions are provided by the graphics driver based on the display's EDID, and the driver can have its own registry values for scaled resolutions. CRU and SRE should already cover both methods.

I downloaded the AMD graphics driver for the Lenovo Go and extracted it to see if I can figure out what it's doing. I see a registry entry to add the 5 resolutions that you listed as scaled resolutions but in portrait orientation, so they are supposed to be there by default. Maybe an older driver didn't have them and they were added for better compatibility with some games that expect 16:9 resolutions.

SRE is supposed to be able to edit these resolutions, but AMD's driver splits the resolution list into blocks, and Lenovo's driver started on #5 instead of #1, so SRE assumed they weren't there and didn't list or delete them.

See if this fix works: https://www.monitortests.com/SRE-test.zip

If you used the previous SRE, the "Default" button won't restore the resolution list correctly, but if you care about that, you can reinstall the graphics driver to get the default resolution list again.
01-15-2024, 03:31 PM (Last edited: 01-15-2024, 03:55 PM by Hexenhammer)
(01-15-2024 12:53 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-14-2024 10:45 PM)Hexenhammer Wrote:  Do you know of any ways to find resolutions in windows registry to delete them? is there any tools for that or to do it manually? what are my options?
Windows itself doesn't have resolutions in the registry. The resolutions are provided by the graphics driver based on the display's EDID, and the driver can have its own registry values for scaled resolutions. CRU and SRE should already cover both methods.

I downloaded the AMD graphics driver for the Lenovo Go and extracted it to see if I can figure out what it's doing. I see a registry entry to add the 5 resolutions that you listed as scaled resolutions but in portrait orientation, so they are supposed to be there by default. Maybe an older driver didn't have them and they were added for better compatibility with some games that expect 16:9 resolutions.

SRE is supposed to be able to edit these resolutions, but AMD's driver splits the resolution list into blocks, and Lenovo's driver started on #5 instead of #1, so SRE assumed they weren't there and didn't list or delete them.

See if this fix works: https://www.monitortests.com/SRE-test.zip

If you used the previous SRE, the "Default" button won't restore the resolution list correctly, but if you care about that, you can reinstall the graphics driver to get the default resolution list again.

You are the god of resolutions!
Your SRE worked, now i have just the resolutions i need.
I hope with next driver update it keeps working, because they can just as easy change the inf name and it wont be right if i keep pestering you for SRE updates.
In case they chnage the inf file next time, maybe you could teach me to delete them myself directlly from the inf?

Ill see how it goes, in a month, there is new adrenaline on January 24 and then they need time to customize it for Legion Go.

BTW, on the list i have some reversed resolutions, can they be deleted or they needed for portrait mode?
01-15-2024, 05:24 PM
(01-15-2024 03:31 PM)Hexenhammer Wrote:  I hope with next driver update it keeps working, because they can just as easy change the inf name and it wont be right if i keep pestering you for SRE updates.
In case they chnage the inf file next time, maybe you could teach me to delete them myself directlly from the inf?
SRE only checks the ProviderName to determine if it's AMD or NVIDIA. The ProviderName hasn't changed in years (the last time was when they changed from ATI to AMD). The AMD-specific registry values that SRE uses are DALNonStandardModesBCD (adds scaled resolutions) and DALRestrictedModesBCD (removes default scaled resolutions).

(01-15-2024 03:31 PM)Hexenhammer Wrote:  BTW, on the list i have some reversed resolutions, can they be deleted or they needed for portrait mode?
The Legion Go's screen actually operates in portrait orientation, which is why the resolutions are reversed in CRU and SRE. The resolutions are always defined based on the screen's native orientation. The non-reversed resolutions are the default resolutions that are normally defined by the driver.
01-15-2024, 06:53 PM
(01-15-2024 05:24 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-15-2024 03:31 PM)Hexenhammer Wrote:  I hope with next driver update it keeps working, because they can just as easy change the inf name and it wont be right if i keep pestering you for SRE updates.
SRE only checks the ProviderName to determine if it's AMD or NVIDIA. The ProviderName hasn't changed in years (the last time was when they changed from ATI to AMD). The AMD-specific registry values that SRE uses are DALNonStandardModesBCD (adds scaled resolutions) and DALRestrictedModesBCD (removes default scaled resolutions).

(01-15-2024 03:31 PM)Hexenhammer Wrote:  BTW, on the list i have some reversed resolutions, can they be deleted or they needed for portrait mode?
The Legion Go's screen actually operates in portrait orientation, which is why the resolutions are reversed in CRU and SRE. The resolutions are always defined based on the screen's native orientation. The non-reversed resolutions are the default resolutions that are normally defined by the driver.

Will the official SRU get legion go support or i should keep the beta and never upgrade?
01-15-2024, 09:02 PM
(01-15-2024 06:53 PM)Hexenhammer Wrote:  Will the official SRU get legion go support or i should keep the beta and never upgrade?
I've released an update: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...Editor-SRE