Help with working around Nvidia DSR's refresh rate bug
08-14-2016, 12:02 PM (Last edited: 08-14-2016, 12:26 PM by zfrm)
Question Help with working around Nvidia DSR's refresh rate bug
Hello everyone!

Long story short: In some games, enabling a 4.00x native resolution using DSR on a 1920x1080 monitor, the refresh rate drops to 60Hz, which is annoying on this 144Hz monitor. This issue (apparently a bug) has existed for a while.

I've kind of worked around the issue with ToastyX's excellent Strobelight program, which essentially allows me to remove/hide the 60Hz versions of the monitor resolutions. However, on this monitor, the Lightboost mode doesn't do any favours for the colors, so the solution is not optimal, and the strobed refresh rates only go up to 120 Hz.

So, I've been trying to find out how to prevent the 60Hz version of my monitor's native resolution 1920x1080 from "existing". I've been dabbling with CRU but haven't really figured out how to achieve the goal with it. (I ~know it should be possible, since Strobelight essentially does just that.)

Another way seems to be creating a custom .inf file, but to be honest, that route seems to be too complicated for me.

Am I approaching the issue in a sensible way? What would you, the experts on this forum, suggest?

Thank you!

System: Windows 7 Pro x64, Nvidia 980Ti (368.81 WHQL driver), Asus VG248QE monitor

EDIT:

Using Strobelight to allow only 120Hz strobed and 144Hz non-strobed, and then using CRU to remove the 120Hz resolution seems to have done the trick.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-30-2017, 08:28 PM
RE: Help with working around Nvidia DSR's refresh rate bug
I'm going to necro this simply because there is a much simpler solution to fix this issue than creating custom inf/monitor profiles.

The issue happens if you use DSR in certain games *without* first setting the desktop resolution to the DSR resolution before starting the program/game. Just go into your Nvidia control panel and set your desktop resolution to the new DSR resolution @ your preferred refresh rate *before* starting up the game, and it will allow you to use high refresh rates. Kind of a pain in the butt, but luckily not necessary for most games. This has been a long-standing issue with DSR in some game engines (unreal engine 3 I believe is the main one) that I don't know if Nvidia will ever fix at this point.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply