Are these settings safe to use with my monitor?
08-09-2020, 10:44 AM
Are these settings safe to use with my monitor?
Starting a new thread since I don't want to hijack the original thread, but this is in continuation to my old question in this thread here.

Recap: I have 2 LG 2560x1080 monitors and they won't work with my AMD Rx 550 card. The HDMI works fine but the DVI / Displayport fails to go above 1920 resolution. So long story short super helpful ToastyX gave me the following settings for Linux which amazingly fixed everything and both monitors started working at 2560:

Modeline "2560x1080_50" 151.10 2560 2608 2640 2720 1080 1083 1093 1111 +HSync -VSync

I've been using this to run both my monitors at 2560 in Linux without hassle for a week now. The problem is today morning the monitor connected to displayport on which I am using this special setting failed to start. It won't even show a checking signal. Just a complete blank screen. I tried connecting it to a laptop and still nothing.

So I switched it off for a few minutes and now it's working again.

So I just want to check if using custom settings could be the reason or it was some general hardware failure coincidental?

Sorry, I'm a total noob. I don't understand pixel clock and other things. I'm just grateful that somebody gave me settings for my card that has made it work. So would appreciate any comments if I can continue using these settings safely for daily use. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2020, 05:01 PM
RE: Are these settings safe to use with my monitor?
It should be perfectly safe to send a lower refresh rate. The pixel clock is just the number of pixels per second. The timing parameters mainly control how much time to wait between each line and frame, so anything that works should be fine. If powering off the monitor fixes it, then it sounds like a firmware bug. If it happens again, you could try checking if the other monitor has the same issue with DisplayPort.
08-09-2020, 05:17 PM
RE: Are these settings safe to use with my monitor?
ok thanks so much ToastyX for the reply and the original answer. really appreciate your help! Smile