Incorrect cable - XL2411P
12-17-2020, 09:50 AM
Incorrect cable - XL2411P
Hi guys,

I've got an ASUS G14 laptop and an XL2411P monitor. My only connecting solution was a Type-C to DVI-D dual-link cable to use it properly. It's running fine and smooth on 144 Hz, but the annoying "Incorrect cable. Please use the DVI dual-link cable that came with your monitor" message isn't likely to disappear. I've spent a lot of time searching for solution, but I haven't found any. I've seen that there is something I have to modify in the pixel clock patcher, but there was no proper information. I know there has to be a modification, a manipulation, maybe a firmware edit to make this error message disappear. I would be so thankful if you could help me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-17-2020, 01:22 PM
RE: Incorrect cable - XL2411P
That message only appears if the monitor is receiving a single-link DVI signal. What kind of adapter are you using? Passive adapters are single-link. You need an active dual-link DVI adapter.
12-17-2020, 01:31 PM (Last edited: 12-17-2020, 01:42 PM by bertamate2001)
(12-17-2020 01:22 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  That message only appears if the monitor is receiving a single-link DVI signal. What kind of adapter are you using? Passive adapters are single-link. You need an active dual-link DVI adapter.

I got this cable: https://www.secomp-international.com/en_...04.5830-10
It says it's dual-link, and it has 24+1 pins. Then do I get scammed? Sad It also says: Supports maximum resolutions up to 3840x2160 @60Hz, so 1920x1080 @144Hz shouldn't be a problem. And I can see that it gives me 144 Hz perfectly. Hope this 30$ cable is not a waste of money Big Grin
12-17-2020, 02:23 PM
Yeah, that's a passive cable. Passive cables are always single-link because USB-C/DisplayPort doesn't have enough pins to pass through dual-link DVI.

You need an active adapter like this: https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2471/u...e_adapter/

The monitor can handle a single-link signal, which is why you get a picture, but the monitor expects a dual-link signal beyond 165 MHz pixel clock, which is why it gives you that message.
12-17-2020, 02:37 PM
(12-17-2020 02:23 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Yeah, that's a passive cable. Passive cables are always single-link because USB-C/DisplayPort doesn't have enough pins to pass through dual-link DVI.

You need an active adapter like this: https://www.club-3d.com/en/detail/2471/u...e_adapter/

The monitor can handle a single-link signal, which is why you get a picture, but the monitor expects a dual-link signal beyond 165 MHz pixel clock, which is why it gives you that message.

Ohh okay I got it. It just makes me upset that if they write dual-link, then why is it single-link instead. If I knew that I would have gone for a Type-C to DP and save 30$. Then the only option is to buy a type-c to dvi-d active cable or can a simple type-c to dp cable do its work? There isn't any tweaks I could do, right?
12-17-2020, 02:51 PM
Yes, a USB-C to DP cable should work and is a better choice because no signal conversion would be needed.

The ASUS VG248Q lets you dismiss the incorrect cable message by pressing the menu button, but I don't know if the XL2411P has a way to do that.
12-17-2020, 02:54 PM
(12-17-2020 02:51 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Yes, a USB-C to DP cable should work and is a better choice because no signal conversion would be needed.

The ASUS VG248Q lets you dismiss the incorrect cable message by pressing the menu button, but I don't know if the XL2411P has a way to do that.

As I know there is no option to hide this message, I've checked factory menu and service menu but no luck. Okay, I'm trying to get my money back.
Thank you for your fast and informative support!