Intel pixel clock patcher?
03-25-2017, 10:42 PM (Last edited: 03-25-2017, 10:47 PM by cLick1338)
Intel pixel clock patcher?
In light of the very very long-awaited Intel driver update that enables EDID overrides, I have managed to overclock my laptop's internal display to 100Hz @ 1366x768. Unfortunately, any resolution going over a 120MHz pixel clock refuses to show up, which, as some other people mentioned, might signify some sort of hard limit (some with 1080P panels claim to be limited to 240MHz).

As far as I know my laptop's display uses eDP - I've tried doing some research on its limitations but didn't really find much. 240MHz seems like a reasonable hardware limit but could some inferior (only 120MHz) hardware have been used since I only have a 768P screen? (Probably a silly question but I'm new to this stuff.)

Does anyone know what's really going on here? Is it an impassable hardware limitation or some sort of software/driver one that can be patched away as it's been done for AMD/Nvidia chips?

Edit: Adding some other info that might be relevant -
Laptop is an Asus X550JX, Haswell CPU - Intel HD 4600, a GTX 950M as dedicated GPU. Successfully used CRU to overclock, tried the Nvidia pixel clock patcher and surprisingly and apparently it found all of the limits and patched them - doubt it did anything as I've yet to restart and check.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-25-2017, 10:57 PM
RE: Intel pixel clock patcher?
I don't have any Intel systems to develop a patcher, and I can't get around DisplayPort limits anyway even with AMD and NVIDIA. DisplayPort runs at fixed clock speeds with 1, 2, or 4 lanes. It's possible your laptop's display doesn't have enough lanes to go beyond 120 MHz.
03-25-2017, 11:13 PM
This could be it - the worst case scenario being 1 eDP lane at (according to some DP/eDP spec sheets I've found) the lowest rate of 1.62 Gbps with a claimed effective payload of 1.296 Gbps.

In my case of 1366x768 @ 8bpp @ 120MHz pixel clock it would top out at about 1.2Gbps which pretty much fits the limit. I really hope that this is the case as it'd be pretty unfair if I actually had double the headroom and be unable to use it.
06-21-2018, 07:10 PM
Exclamation RE: Intel pixel clock patcher?
Hello, I do own a monster notebook that produced by Clevo and they are claiming 120hz refresh rate at their website but my notebook came at 60 fps. It have i7-7700HQ with a HD 630 and 1060 Nvidia dedicated. Now I can go to 100 hz thanks to your software but can't go further than that because the options I add at CRU won't show up in Intel's or win 10's settings. Is there anything I or you can do? I did the Nvidia patch..

[Image: Mn2oOl_3QaGzScveg47vxw.png]
06-22-2018, 10:45 PM
The patches are meant for external displays. They won't get around internal hardware limitations.