Invisible Horizontal Line on Screen
03-08-2022, 04:30 AM
Invisible Horizontal Line on Screen
So to me this is a rather odd phenomenon:

I have to use CRU with my Samsung RU8000 55" 120 Hz HDTV in order to get my games to run at 1440p rather than at 4K.

I also have the comprehensive user manual for my television and it shows what Pixel Clock, Refresh Rate, and Polarity to use for each respective resolution. But when I use the values the manual insists I must use, I end up with an invisible, horizontal line near the top of the screen. It's only noticeable when I move the mouse arrow over top of the line or I drag a window around the vicinity of the line as well. It's very similar to wheat screen tearing looks like when gaming.

The manual states that if I'm "connecting a computer" to the television for 3840 X 2160 resolution, I need to have my Pixel Clock at 594.000, Refresh Rate at 60.000, and Polarity should be MINUS-MINUS. When I use those values, I get the invisible horizontal line.

The other section of timing tables in the manual are labelled as being for "Video Signals" Within these, they say for 3840 X 2160, Pixel Clock must be 594.000 (same), Refresh Rate 60.000 (again same), but this time the Polarity must be PLUS-PLUS. When I utilize these settings with the two positive polarities, I get no weird line running across the top of my screen.

I have no issues whatsoever with using the 2569 X 1440 resolution no matter what values I insert into CRU with the exception of Refresh Rate. The panel refuses to budge above 120 Hz no matter what wacky timings I try.

So anyways I'm rather curious, why do I get this strange horizontal invisible line running across the top of my screen when I use the timing values the manufacturer insists are correct for my setup?

Any other advice or enlightening knowledge is appreciated. I love your forum and CRU. Thank you so much for your time and dedication.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2022, 01:59 AM
RE: Invisible Horizontal Line on Screen
Clearly the TV can't handle -/- polarity correctly regardless of what the manual says. The polarity isn't important and shouldn't cause tearing like that, so I would say it's a firmware bug in the TV. The manual might be wrong as well because CTA-861 is normally +/+ for 3840x2160. If -/- polarity was intentional, then it should already be in the EDID like that.
03-09-2022, 02:54 AM
RE: Invisible Horizontal Line on Screen
(03-09-2022 01:59 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Clearly the TV can't handle -/- polarity correctly regardless of what the manual says. The polarity isn't important and shouldn't cause tearing like that, so I would say it's a firmware bug in the TV. The manual might be wrong as well because CTA-861 is normally +/+ for 3840x2160. If -/- polarity was intentional, then it should already be in the EDID like that.

You hit the nail on the head 100%. The "Video Resolution" table within the manual is also labelled as being CTA-861.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my post and fulling my inquisitive curiosity regarding why the television is responding in that manner.

I truly appreciate it, and in addition, you, for making a magnificent piece of software. Without it, I would not be able to run my games in 1440p @ 120 Hz. For that, I thank you kindly. Take Care.