Looking for ideas regarding black screen
06-22-2019, 06:55 PM (Last edited: 06-22-2019, 06:59 PM by Bronzeruga)
Looking for ideas regarding black screen
Hi guys new user here.
My system: Windows 10 pro 64bit, EVGA 1050 ti, Intel i5-4590, 8gb ram, 450Watt Rosewill PSU, Asus H81M-C motherboard, Dell SE2717H. This is a single display setup. Monitor supports HDMI 1.4 , tried different cables (2.0, 1.4 etc). Monitor has HDMI + VGA input.

Monitor gets display output from:
1) iGPU via VGA and also HDMI output with an active (Sewell hammerhead) adapter.
2) TV output when connected HDMI to HDMI to cable box.

Graphics card gets display output from:
1) HDMI to HDMI, DP to HDMI, and DVI-D to HDMI to my Spectre 32inch TV.
2) DVI to HDMI (Kabeldirect from Amazon) although resolution is off so I can't see some stuff on the rightside and bottom of screen. When Windows loads with Microsoft basic adapter resolution fits screen correctly although it's a fixed resolution so I can't bump it to 1080.

I've tried multiple drivers, DDU to uninstall drivers and reinstall, disabling Realtek audio during install, safemode driver install, setting PCI as primary, disabling Intel driver in Windows, among others. By the way tried connecting monitor to my brother's computer which is brand new and same issue, same with another laptop. So I suspect there is something going on with the EDID.

The main thing that stumps me is monitor works fine with a cablebox. HDMI to HDMI (multiple cables), DP to HDMI, give NO OUTPUT in BIOS and Windows. The only way I can see BIOS or Windows (Microsoft adapter) is with DVI to HDMI.

Trying to work with what I have so what I was thinking of trying is get to the black screen after install (DVI to HDMI) then connect through Remote assistance from another PC and see if I can configure control panel
Or does anyone know if it's possible to remove pins from DVI connector end to remove the audio? I've done VGA to HDMI(iGPU) and HDMI to VGA (Nvidia) so I know the signal of VIDEO only goes thru HDMI port. So it might be something relating to the audio coming in (monitor has no speakers).

Thanks for your time and sorry for the wall of text.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2019, 02:10 AM
RE: Looking for ideas regarding black screen
Cable boxes don't usually use the EDID because you can configure the resolutions and audio directly, so you might be right about it being an EDID issue. What is the monitor listed as in Device Manager? If it's listed as Generic Non-PnP Monitor, that would indicate an EDID issue. The problem is EDID issues are not easy to fix because many monitors have the EEPROM locked so you can't write to it. I don't know if you tried this yet, but try unplugging the monitor's power for a minute. Sometimes that will reset a monitor after a firmware glitch. If that doesn't help and it's still under warranty, get it replaced. If it's not under warranty and it's listed as a Non-PnP Monitor, you might be able to override it with CRU, but that won't help with the BIOS. HDMI audio is part of the video stream, so it's not a separate pin, and it shouldn't be sending audio anyway if the EDID is rejected.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply