Custom refresh rates (underclock) on 144hz monitor
04-28-2018, 08:09 PM (Last edited: 04-28-2018, 08:14 PM by daevy3k)
Custom refresh rates (underclock) on 144hz monitor
Hello. I'd like an hand to understand how I could get my custom set of refresh rates.

I have a 144hz monitor, but since I can't always get 144fps, I'd like to have a different set of refresh rates.

My idea was to have a choice between
144hz
132hz
120hz
108hz
96hz
84hz
72hz
60hz

My monitor only comes with standard 144hz, 120hz and 60hz.

If i try to set those custom refresh rates via CRU or Nvidia cp, it appears to work but when I try UFO test or just play a game it's obvious something's wrong. VSync just doesn't work and I have constant stutter.

I guess it's about to get the timings right other than the refresh rate and resolution : could you point me in the right direction to get these right? How do i calculate the right values based on the already existent values on the monitor?

I attached the already existent resolutions on the post. Hope it could be useful.

The monitor model is Yashi Pioneer YZ2717 but there's zero info about this on the internet (not even a single review, i blindly bought it because it was at an awesome price for the specs : 2560x1440/144hz and I'm very satisfied with the colours for a TN panel)

I like to play with v-sync but I don't always get 144fps or 120fps, even if I have a GTX 1080Ti. 108hz would already be smooth enough for me, at the moment.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2018, 10:48 PM
RE: Custom refresh rates (underclock) on 144hz monitor
The timing parameters shouldn't matter. If the monitor can't display other refresh rates smoothly, then that's a monitor limitation. It might be duplicating/skipping frames at other refresh rates. The timing parameters it's using for 144 Hz and 120 Hz are non-standard. You can try using those timing parameters, but if that doesn't help, then the monitor doesn't support other refresh rates.
05-02-2018, 11:18 AM
RE: Custom refresh rates (underclock) on 144hz monitor
(04-29-2018 10:48 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  The timing parameters shouldn't matter. If the monitor can't display other refresh rates smoothly, then that's a monitor limitation. It might be duplicating/skipping frames at other refresh rates. The timing parameters it's using for 144 Hz and 120 Hz are non-standard. You can try using those timing parameters, but if that doesn't help, then the monitor doesn't support other refresh rates.

Hello and thank you for your answer. As you may have noticed I have no knowledge of how timings work.

As stupid as it may sound, I didn't bother to try other refresh rates (when I saw it had problems @108hz I didn't think about trying other rates) and it simply turns out that my monitor just doesn't like 108hz refresh rate.

If I set 105hz for example, it works flawlessly. No stuttering or frame skipping.

Curious.