NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher
10-04-2013, 01:31 AM
RE: NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher
(10-04-2013 12:45 AM)apav Wrote:  Is the patch not needed anymore if you use only Nvidia control panel for your custom resolutions?
It depends on the video card and whether you have SLI.

Single card:

700-series: patch not required
600-series: patch not required
500-series: full patch required for some cards, not required for others
400-series: full patch required

SLI:

700-series: unknown
600-series: full patch required
500-series: full patch required
400-series: full patch required
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2013, 01:10 PM (Last edited: 10-04-2013, 01:39 PM by GoldenTiger)
Heya ToastyX Smile. First off, I've been using your patcher for several months now flawlessly and really appreciate the work you've done with it. I just wanted to report a potential bug on the NVidia driver end with 331.40. Using 670 4GB SLI, if I apply the 1.2.2 patch and try anything for refresh rate above the normal control panel limits in bandwidth (as though I hadn't applied the patch) I get a TDR + black screen with a recovery a minute later, within around 30-180 seconds every time.

If I don't use the patch, it just black screens when I try. If I don't use the patch but set 96hz (within normal limits) it works properly. I'm not sure if this is on your patcher's end or NVidia's, but I figured I'd report it and hopefully if anyone else is having the same issue it lets them get up and running for now. My monitor is an X-Star DP2710 that normally runs 110-120hz.

On the plus side for you, having the problem reminded me to register here finally, and I'll give you a small donation now that I've arrived Wink. Thanks again. EDIT: Done!
10-04-2013, 04:39 PM
I'm getting some weirdness too but I'm pretty sure that's just the beta driver. Never had any issues before.
10-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Hi ToastyX, just wanted to give you a little info on what I'm experiencing.

I'm using the new beta 331.40 drivers, 2 GTX 770 4gb in sli, and a X-Star DP2710 monitor. Before any patching I raised to 96hz via evga precision x software. The issue happens regardless of software but thought I'd mention it. Anyway, 96hz is at 388MHz pixel clock so it's under the 400MHz sli limit and everything's fine. I patched with 1.2.2(which "found" everything), upped to 105hz and I get the problem with the screen freezing for a few seconds, sometimes recovering, etc. etc. I lowered back down to 96hz and it'd continue to do it. Only another clean install of the nvidia drivers stopped it at which point I could put it back at 96hz and it'd work fine like before the patch. I don't have nvidia experience installed, and with a single card it was fine(~110hz was about the monitor's limit). Any suggestions?

I just read GoldenTiger's post and it looks like the same issue as me, but the problem has been happening before the new 331.40 drivers for me, just haven't had the time to post about it until now.
10-07-2013, 03:07 PM
I thought the SLI limit was fixed. I'm getting conflicting reports. Some said the 700-series cards don't need the SLI patch. Some said the latest patcher fixes the problem. Now some are saying it's still broken. Did the latest patcher even fix anything? Is there more than one limit? I don't have an SLI setup, so this inconsistent feedback is confusing.

(10-04-2013 01:10 PM)GoldenTiger Wrote:  Using 670 4GB SLI, if I apply the 1.2.2 patch and try anything for refresh rate above the normal control panel limits in bandwidth (as though I hadn't applied the patch) I get a TDR + black screen with a recovery a minute later, within around 30-180 seconds every time.

If I don't use the patch, it just black screens when I try.
So without the patch, you just get a black screen when trying a custom resolution, but with the patch, it appears to work for a minute, then crashes? That sounds like the patch worked, but something else is causing a separate problem.

It might be this known issue in the beta driver:

"1379957 - TDR in SLI mode with UEFI enabled upon reboot/driver install (will be fixed in next beta release. Disable UEFI as temporary workaround)"

Enabling CSM in the BIOS would work around that.

(10-05-2013 09:17 PM)Dagasm Wrote:  I just read GoldenTiger's post and it looks like the same issue as me, but the problem has been happening before the new 331.40 drivers for me, just haven't had the time to post about it until now.
Is there any driver version where it worked for you?
10-07-2013, 09:12 PM (Last edited: 10-07-2013, 09:25 PM by Dagasm)
(10-07-2013 03:07 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I thought the SLI limit was fixed. I'm getting conflicting reports. Some said the 700-series cards don't need the SLI patch. Some said the latest patcher fixes the problem. Now some are saying it's still broken. Did the latest patcher even fix anything? Is there more than one limit? I don't have an SLI setup, so this inconsistent feedback is confusing.

Is there any driver version where it worked for you?
I want to say there's never been a driver that it worked for me past 400MHz pixel clock using the patch(in sli). I just tried upping past 96hz in sli without the patch and I got the same freezing as if I applied the patch. What I mean by freezing is once I click apply to the hz setting, the screen will go black for maybe 15 seconds, comes back and ask do I want to keep the settings, I press ok and it goes black again for another 15-20 seconds and then comes back. Once it's back it's random but frequent that the screen will just freeze i.e. the mouse is frozen along with the rest of it(does not go black). Each freeze lasts for maybe 7 seconds.
10-07-2013, 11:33 PM
That's what happens if the SLI limit isn't patched. Is this with the full patch? I haven't heard of this being a problem with older drivers. I wonder if your setup is affected by a different limit for some reason. I'll have to look around to see if I can find anything...
10-08-2013, 12:12 AM
(10-07-2013 11:33 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  That's what happens if the SLI limit isn't patched. Is this with the full patch? I haven't heard of this being a problem with older drivers. I wonder if your setup is affected by a different limit for some reason. I'll have to look around to see if I can find anything...
Yes, I'm using nvlddmkm-patcher-full.exe. And if it's of any help, like I've mentioned when I run the patch it says "found" for all the values.
10-08-2013, 02:22 AM
I've been able to do a full patch on dual 670s up until this most recent beta driver with success, though it's the first beta driver I've ever used.
10-08-2013, 08:34 AM (Last edited: 10-08-2013, 08:36 AM by GoldenTiger)
My motherboard is using legacy mode (aka CSM) already rather than any uefi boot, so it's not related to the UEFI TDR note. Basically if I set anything over the 400mhz pixel clock limit, it's crashing, with/without the patch at this point. This is on 331.40 with 670 4GB SLI, and I'm using the full patch exe. All previous drivers seem to work fine with it, just not these newest ones. Just wanted to clarify. Without the patch it's an instant crash, with the patch it either crashes instantly or lasts a few seconds to a minute, then crashes as though I hadn't applied the patch. Also just to note, I'm on Windows 8 64.