NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher
06-12-2017, 06:36 AM
RE: NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher
(06-12-2017 06:16 AM)x58haze Wrote:  It works thanks so much, i follow your steps, and it only took 154 mhz, but, it sems that if go higher than 77 a message will pop up in the front of monitor like:

1680x1050 NO OPTIMAL MODE, but the thing is the image looks so perfect without any errror, it is possible to bypass that message? no optimal mode?
No, Samsung monitors usually don't allow more than 77 Hz. It's blocked by the monitor's firmware.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2017, 12:34 PM (Last edited: 07-02-2017, 12:37 PM by tgrk!?)
Hello friends.

I've been trying to use ingame/desktop 1440x1080@120hz VT 1500(Via both CRU and nvidia CP.) for a while now in order to use lightboost/benq's MBR, for CS:GO and other FPS games. Found the pixel clock patcher, tried it since i read on other threads that it's necessary in order to achieve custom VTs. My screen gets brighter and the screen doesnt go out of range, but. The OSD settings make a fool out of me and tell me that the setup is running at 60Hz(Works on VT 1125.).
Apart from that, the games do feel like 60 hz. I've tried the alien invasion test and the results look pretty good though - just on browser. So here comes the confusion and the many-months research and frustration. At some random points or playing, the player models will look AMAZING, FANTASTIC, and slow motion-like, and after a short time of period they go back to laggy - motion blured - fast poping infront of you. I honestly don't think that's just in my imagination or a placebo effect. I trully believe that I've setup everything correctly (apart from the pixel clock patcher that doesn't seem to work..?), but yet, the results aren't here.

SPECS
   |
   |
 \   /
   v

Monitor: XL2411z v4, connected to GPU via DVI-D(Dual link).
GPU: GTX 970.
CPU: i7 6700k @4.0GHz.
RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1900MHz.

Things I've tried:
1)Alternate LightBoost HOWTO #4: Advanced EDID Override Method.
2)MBR/1440x1080@120hz/High AMA(Falkentyne's trick)/Contrast 40.
3)Optimized Persistence and Crosstalk w/ BBSU.
4)Updated all my drivers of course.
5)Optimized my internet connection in many, many ways, to exclude the fact that what I see isn't a monitor/setup thing.

Possibly this is the wrong place for my post.. I thank any of you in advanced for any response on my matter..

My nvidia CP 3D settings look like this: http://imgur.com/a/WGqS1

-tgrk!?
07-04-2017, 10:53 AM
bumpin...
Anyone?
07-04-2017, 03:27 PM
I can state 2 problems for sure at this point:
1)1440x1080@120hz 1500VT doesn't return 120hz according to OSD, but screen gets brightened as one of its' effects. - Thats a pixel clock patcher problem as far as i've understood. Having patched it, doesn't seem to have worked.
2)Ingame looks like a dark (MBR) 60ish(?)hz gameplay - models aren't so blurry i guess, but their "speed" in as how fast then peek me from a corner, is really similar to 60hz.

I tend to believe that the 2 problems that i am stating above, are actually the "problem" and its' cause. As far as i know VT 1500 removes a lot of ghosting. So in my case while on 1440x1080@120 VT1500(nvcp), the actual resolution doesn't agree with the one on my OSD (same res but 60hz), so i am playing on 60hz with VT1500 which is like, a better 60hz version(?), OR when i am playing 1440x1080@120 VT1125, all the resolutions meet, but im losing the VT1500 +brightness and -ghosting, which is like a MBR 120hz that looks like 60hz to me?

I really think that the problem is patching the nvidia pixel clock. If that worked correctly, when using VT1500 the OSD would't show me 60hz. I really don't know.

Opinions?

-tgrk!?
07-04-2017, 06:05 PM
(07-04-2017 03:27 PM)tgrk!? Wrote:  I can state 2 problems for sure at this point:
1)1440x1080@120hz 1500VT doesn't return 120hz according to OSD, but screen gets brightened as one of its' effects. - Thats a pixel clock patcher problem as far as i've understood. Having patched it, doesn't seem to have worked.
2)Ingame looks like a dark (MBR) 60ish(?)hz gameplay - models aren't so blurry i guess, but their "speed" in as how fast then peek me from a corner, is really similar to 60hz.
If you can choose 1440x1080 @ 120 Hz, then the problems have nothing to do with the patch. The point of the patch is to make resolutions available that would normally be rejected by the driver. You shouldn't need the patch with dual-link DVI if you're not exceeding 330 MHz pixel clock.

Some games will not recognize custom resolutions created with the NVIDIA control panel, so you might have to use CRU. Other than that, the issues you're talking about are specific to a monitor that I don't have, so I can't help you with that. If I remember correctly, falkentyne mentioned that the BenQ monitors misreport the resolution in the OSD in some cases, but I don't know if that applies to your situation. You can test if 120 Hz is working on the desktop with this test: http://testufo.com/#test=frameskipping
07-04-2017, 06:39 PM
(07-04-2017 06:05 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 03:27 PM)tgrk!? Wrote:  I can state 2 problems for sure at this point:
If you can choose 1440x1080 @ 120 Hz, then the problems have nothing to do with the patch. The point of the patch is to make resolutions available that would normally be rejected by the driver. You shouldn't need the patch with dual-link DVI if you're not exceeding 330 MHz pixel clock.

Some games will not recognize custom resolutions created with the NVIDIA control panel, so you might have to use CRU. Other than that, the issues you're talking about are specific to a monitor that I don't have, so I can't help you with that. If I remember correctly, falkentyne mentioned that the BenQ monitors misreport the resolution in the OSD in some cases, but I don't know if that applies to your situation. You can test if 120 Hz is working on the desktop with this test: http://testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

I was not aware of that. Pixel clock does run at 374,4 MHz. I am sorry to have "blamed" the patch, i was wrong!

Tried the frameskipping test and it is running at 120Hz with no frameskipping errors as well, while the OSD still reports 60Hz. I guess that falkentyne's mention applies to my case too.

I have also tried CRU in the past (As a matter of fact i tried it some hours ago as well.), having all resolutions (Standard and detailed - extension blocks.) deleted first, set the new res and restarted via the 64 exe. The results were the same...

Is there anything else that maybe be causing the visual problem to insist? Or maybe, could i be illusional from the aspect that, if all the above are set correctly, then the results should be unique to all systems/screens?

Thank you very very much for your response!

-tgrk!?
07-07-2017, 05:03 AM
(07-04-2017 06:39 PM)tgrk!? Wrote:  Is there anything else that maybe be causing the visual problem to insist? Or maybe, could i be illusional from the aspect that, if all the above are set correctly, then the results should be unique to all systems/screens?
With backlight strobing, the frame rate must be perfectly synchronized with the refresh rate to have the best motion quality, which means using vsync with a GPU powerful enough for the frame rate to match. If the frame rate is half the refresh rate, you'll get a double image effect from strobing the same image twice. If you don't want to use vsync because of lag, then you must make sure the frame rate is as high as possible to get the smoothest motion. Do not set a frame rate cap to match the refresh rate because that will cause ugly tearing without vsync and intermittent stuttering with vsync. Some games might have frame rate caps by default that could cause these effects. Beyond that, I don't know if there are any other issues specific to that monitor.
07-09-2017, 04:40 PM (Last edited: 07-09-2017, 06:55 PM by tgrk!?)
(07-07-2017 05:03 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-04-2017 06:39 PM)tgrk!? Wrote:  Is there anything else that maybe be causing the visual problem to insist? Or maybe, could i be illusional from the aspect that, if all the above are set correctly, then the results should be unique to all systems/screens?
With backlight strobing, the frame rate must be perfectly synchronized with the refresh rate to have the best motion quality, which means using vsync with a GPU powerful enough for the frame rate to match. If the frame rate is half the refresh rate, you'll get a double image effect from strobing the same image twice. If you don't want to use vsync because of lag, then you must make sure the frame rate is as high as possible to get the smoothest motion. Do not set a frame rate cap to match the refresh rate because that will cause ugly tearing without vsync and intermittent stuttering with vsync. Some games might have frame rate caps by default that could cause these effects. Beyond that, I don't know if there are any other issues specific to that monitor.

My average FPS are 300+. I prefer to have VSync off so that i avoid the lag, apart from that i have experienced great results with this monitor that have just disappeared after a day or 2 (Maybe from some minor change to a configuration i guess...), results that were achieved with VSync off. The only "frame cap" i have is +fps_max 999 in the game startup commands so that maps load up faster..

I really thank you for all the valuable information Toasty, i hope that i find the solution in the future. Have a good one.

Any other possible info would be highly appreciated friends.
Thanks, again.

-tgrk!?
07-12-2017, 10:24 PM
Looks like it needs an update for the latest driver. Sad
07-12-2017, 11:39 PM
(07-12-2017 10:24 PM)gofspar Wrote:  Looks like it needs an update for the latest driver. Sad
What part needs updating? Are you using a 32-bit version of Windows?