Nvidia Control Panel and Resolution
04-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Nvidia Control Panel and Resolution
I built my first PC last week, and everything seemed to be going well, until I got to the monitor. Basically, anything other than using the VGA cable, looks terrible. DVI-HDMI look terrible. DP to DP looks terrible. When I go into the Nvidia Control Panel under Change Resolution, it looks like it is recognizing my monitor as a TV. "HD/SD". When I manually change it under "PC" to 1920x1080, it looks amazing. And like it should.

Problem is, it always reverts back to 1920x1080p under "HD/SD". And looks awful. I need help. This is driving me insane. I'm ready to shoot my monitor.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2013, 12:35 PM
RE: Nvidia Control Panel and Resolution
Use Custom Resolution Utility to disable the extension block for the monitor and reboot. That should make it get treated as a regular monitor.
04-12-2013, 12:43 AM
(04-11-2013 12:35 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Use Custom Resolution Utility to disable the extension block for the monitor and reboot. That should make it get treated as a regular monitor.
Thank you so much. Me being new to building PC's, I have to know. Why is my monitor not being treated as a monitor by NCP? It is a monitor, not a TV. And what does this Custom Resolution Utility do exactly? Is it safe to use?
04-12-2013, 04:52 PM (Last edited: 04-12-2013, 04:54 PM by Mangix)
Your monitor has EDID data in it which is information about the monitor. Basically, this is who I am, this is what I support, this is who made me, etc...

Your monitor tells the nvidia driver that it is an HDTV and the nvidia driver responds accordingly. Custom Resolution Utility basically spoofs that EDID and tells the nvidia driver that the monitor is actually a monitor and not a TV. This turns out to be less buggy that having the monitor report that it is an HDTV.

For example, it's the only way I can do 75Hz at 1080p(LCD Reduced Option in CRU).

edit: Actually to fix the color issue even with a stock EDID, try this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1020...weaker.zip