Frameskipping at 60hz...
01-16-2017, 02:11 PM (Last edited: 01-25-2017, 02:40 PM by razner312)
Frameskipping at 60hz...
Hi there, I am trying to overclock my 1440p hannspree monitor to 80+hz, but am having some issues doing so.

I have tried installing different versions of AMD Crimson Drivers, but they all run into the same issue when I patch them using Toastys Pixel Patcher it doesnt seem to work and I am using a R9 Fury btw.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2017, 08:18 PM
RE: Pixel Clock Patch wont work Is there another way??
The limit is hard-coded in the driver. I'm looking into it.
01-20-2017, 03:30 PM
Try this: https://www.monitortests.com/atikmdag-patcher-297.zip
01-21-2017, 12:54 PM
That did it! all working now, managed to get the monitor to it to 80hz and its running smoothly and not skipping any frames. Wont let me go any higher though, so I will test out that activate displayport 1.2 to hdmi 2.0 adapter which ive ordered and hopefully that will let me take this higher. Thanks for patch though, really appreciate it.
01-21-2017, 03:35 PM
@toastyx Well my adapter just arrived, so it was time to do some tests. I first tried 85hz using CRU and then tested it with UFO frameskipping test and it showed it was valid. I also tried 120hz and 144hz and they both passed the test! Just wondering how accurate is that UFO frameskipping tool, as when I overclocked my old hp monitor it showed it was not valid when I went from 75hz to 80hz, but this panel is managing with 144hz?? Seems a bit too good to be true so I wonder if it actually is, even with 85hz I'm more than happy, but if I can get free performance why not take it Big Grin.
01-21-2017, 04:05 PM
Are the squares visible with no gaps? Show me the pictures you took.
01-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Looks like there must be a problem with my monitor then completely, I took the pictures at 1/5 shutter speed and even at 60hz there showed that there was frameskipping. I also took the picture using same camera settings on my 75hz 1080p monitor and not a single empty square. I will try to get the monitor RMA'ed as it should 100% not skip frames at 60hz, as thats going under their specifications. Really strange I havent noticed that in the games I've played so far apart from GTA 5 which suffers extremely from framekipping.
01-22-2017, 03:32 PM
I don't get it. You said you tested it already and it passed. You shouldn't even need the test to see frame skipping. It should be noticeable just by moving the mouse cursor. If the monitor can do 120/144 Hz without skipping frames, the difference should be obvious. How much frame skipping does the test show at 60 Hz? It would be unusual for the monitor to skip frames at 60 Hz unless it was running at 30 Hz, which would also be noticeable. Make sure only one monitor is connected when doing the test.
01-25-2017, 01:42 AM (Last edited: 01-25-2017, 02:04 AM by razner312)
Sorry I never took the photos to see if the monitor was stable, but got my camera out now and took some photos. You will see that the monitor is skipping frames even on 60hz!! I think that this monitor may be faulty as that is just too low of a hz for the monitor to skip frames at and it only didnt skip frames at 50hz, which is way too low for me and its under the monitors specifications. I also took a picture of my old 1080p monitor and that was running perfect at 76hz and didnt skip a single frame. Here are the pictures.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-27-2017, 04:02 PM
RE: Frameskipping at 60hz...
Just got my Dual Link DVI cable and another adapter (DVI to Displayport active) and went to test that out to see if it made a difference, but the damn thing is still skipping frames at 60hz just like it was on HDMI. Have I done something wrong, or do I need different timings in CRU to make this refresh rate work, because it is starting to annoy me a bit now especially with the amount I'm spending on this stuff.