Override EDID colors
12-08-2022, 11:48 PM (Last edited: 12-09-2022, 01:41 PM by markanini)
Override EDID colors
It seems most EDID overrides deal with refresh rates and resolutions. But is it possible to override the color values? This would be useful for color calibration or emulating retro tech colorimetry. At least for AMD cards that read the EDID values and apply color transformations accordingly from the driver settings.
[Image: QWloxAX.png]

Here is a demonstration of AMD drivers reading the EDID data: https://imgsli.com/MTM4ODM3 transforming a P3 like gamut of my monitor into sRGB. I have confirmed with my colorimeter. Unfortunately, with AW EDID editor and CRU I've been unsuccessful so far in modifying the color transform.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2022, 01:34 AM
RE: Override EDID colors
Did you import into CRU with "Include complete EDID" enabled?

AMD does use color coordinates from the EDID when the color temperature control is disabled (not very intuitive), but I haven't checked if it honors EDID overrides. I was planning to add editing the color coordinates in CRU 2.0 if it works.
12-10-2022, 02:23 AM
(12-10-2022 01:34 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Did you import into CRU with "Include complete EDID" enabled?
Yes.

(12-10-2022 01:34 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Did you import into CRU with "Include complete EDID" enabled?

AMD does use color coordinates from the EDID when the color temperature control is disabled (not very intuitive), but I haven't checked if it honors EDID overrides. I was planning to add editing the color coordinates in CRU 2.0 if it works.
I did check "Include complete EDID" for my testing. Are there over types of EDID override I could test?
12-10-2022, 02:48 AM
In AW EDID Editor in Feature Support, make sure sRGB is set to off.
12-10-2022, 07:44 PM (Last edited: 12-10-2022, 07:47 PM by markanini)
(12-10-2022 02:48 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  In AW EDID Editor in Feature Support, make sure sRGB is set to off.

It is. Any more things to test?
12-16-2022, 03:08 AM
I don't have any other ideas. If it's not using the color information in the EDID override, then I don't know any other way to control it without using a hardware EDID emulator.