Looking for a Pixel Format Utility - or a way to force 4:2:0 mode.
04-15-2020, 06:05 PM (Last edited: 04-16-2020, 09:06 PM by dagelf)
Looking for a Pixel Format Utility - or a way to force 4:2:0 mode.
Does anyone know of a registry tweak or standalone utility to change the pixel format on Windows 10? I am trying to get the latest AMD drivers to run at 4K60 on my display (last working version was 19.2.2 see https://community.amd.com/thread/236306)

I'm hoping its related to a pixel clock limit that was added, as my OS seems locked to 4:4:4 - but just unlocking the pixel clock, being able to force the card to display a 20Gbps mode on a port that can only do 18Gbps I don't think will work, and I have to set it to 4:2:0. I'm not using the full version of the driver, or the old driver, and am trying to avoid having to install it, as my system is nice and lean without any bells or whistles (or unnecessary background processes.)

Does anyone have any idea if an how I can do this? I've been struggling with this so long now I'm starting to wonder if I wasn't using another card when I last had 4k60 working. (This is on a R9 390X which only supports HDMI 1.4a, but I also have a RX 480, which supports HDMI 2.0. I am fairly certain it was working on this card though, and remember seeing 4:2:0 color format. I've now tried some older versions of the driver, but have so far come up empty.)

Any help much appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2020, 09:29 PM
RE: Looking for a Pixel Format Utility - or a way to force 4:2:0 mode.
If the TV defines 4K @ 60 Hz as a 4:2:0 resolution, then it should automatically be available without needing to change the pixel format.
05-06-2020, 07:01 AM
RE: Looking for a Pixel Format Utility - or a way to force 4:2:0 mode.
This is not entirely true. For example, on 650TI this is true and 4k set to 4.2.2
And on GTX 580 you can’t select the color space 4.2.2 - im surprise that the problem
That why T.S. asked about manual set this resolution.