Please Help Win11
10-26-2023, 01:43 PM
Please Help Win11
I cannot change the resolution of my monitor with the CRU in Windows 11.

When I try to change it it says "restart required". When I restart it, it doesn't help. (I also tried it in safe mode.) It only becomes active again when I reset all.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2023, 11:04 PM
RE: Please Help Win11
What is the actual problem you're trying to solve? What resolution are you changing and why? What is shown in CRU by default? What monitor? What GPU? What type of connection: DVI? HDMI?
11-02-2023, 02:32 PM (Last edited: 11-02-2023, 02:34 PM by ankv666)
(10-26-2023 11:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  What is the actual problem you're trying to solve? What resolution are you changing and why? What is shown in CRU by default? What monitor? What GPU? What type of connection: DVI? HDMI?

I'm trying to set my HP Elite Display E233 monitor to 1920x1080p 60hz.

I am connecting via VGA. In Windows 10 the CRU worked just fine. But I had to switch to Windows 11 to make my work easier. In Windows 11, CRU 1.5.2, 1.5.1, 4.0.2 etc. I tried many versions.

I watched all the guides on YouTube. But it didn't do any good.

When I run reset-all.exe, my E233 monitor becomes active. However, when I run restart64.exe after adjusting the resolution, no change occurs and I get a restart required warning.

I couldn't get past this warning.

In addition, this monitor already has a resolution of 1920x1080p. If I just run it via HDMI it works fine. Since I use it as a 2nd monitor, I have to run it with VGA. My maximum resolution in VGA appears to be 1024x1280.
11-02-2023, 02:39 PM
You didn't answer half the questions. The monitor already supports 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz. Why do you need to set it with CRU? What does CRU show by default? What GPU?
11-02-2023, 03:24 PM
(11-02-2023 02:39 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  You didn't answer half the questions. The monitor already supports 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz. Why do you need to set it with CRU? What does CRU show by default? What GPU?

CRU Does not show any settings by default. All boxes are empty. I am using AMD Ryzen 5600g processor. APU system.
11-02-2023, 03:58 PM (Last edited: 11-02-2023, 04:00 PM by ToastyX)
The issue is either the EDID is corrupted on the monitor for the VGA port, or the cable is missing the DDC pins, so the GPU is not receiving a valid EDID from the monitor, which is why CRU does not show any resolutions by default. Windows 11 does not support EDID overrides for monitors without a valid EDID, which is why CRU has no effect with Windows 11.

The easiest option would be to use another port on the monitor, but you said that's not an option. What ports do you have available on the computer? If you have both DVI and HDMI, DVI can be easily converted to HDMI with a simple adapter/cable.

Since you have an AMD system, it might be possible to fix the EDID on the monitor using this program: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...yID-Writer

Does EDWriter detect the monitor? If so, what happens when you click the "Read EDID" button? If it reports the EDID header is corrupted or the checksum is invalid, click the "Yes" button to fix it. Then click the "Write EDID" button to try to write the fixed EDID to the monitor. If it succeeds, the monitor should work correctly after rebooting. If it reports the display is write protected, there might be some way to disable write protection through the service menu on the monitor. Accessing the service menu usually involves holding one or two buttons while powering on the monitor, and if there is a burn in mode option, enabling that often disables write protection.

The third option is to use an EDID emulator like this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YN42M1V/?tag=mtests-20#ad