QNIX qx2710 Overclocking issues
10-02-2013, 11:51 AM
QNIX qx2710 Overclocking issues
I recently Purchased a Qnix QX2710 based on its positive reputation as being quite overclock-able, I however have found it to not be overclockable at all. It seems no matter what I do I cannot get past the post screen when I enter a custom refresh rate into the CRU

Perhaps I should start from the beginning

1- First I plug a duel dvi cable into the primary card of my cross-fired (with 2 crossfire-cables) Gigabyte 7970Ghz

2- I then run the patcher (Cata-13.10 beta V2) which now lists all drivers as "all ready patched"

3- I then open CRU and using the default 60hz profile as a base I create a new profile at refresh rates 61, 62, 96 (does not seem to matter what I enter), I then move this new profile to the top of the list

4- I reboot my PCI and when I get the splash screen (Windows welcome) the monitor blacks out and the power button switches from blue to red after displaying the message "DVI-power saving". I should note the sound continues to play in the background, its not as like the computer has become unresponsive

5- The only way I can actually enter my desktop is to enter safe mode and run "reset-all". I should note that even if I remove the created profile (Without running reset all) the problem persists. I have to run reset-all in safemode to get my computer working normally.

I have tried a few things already such as changing DVI cables, running in and out of test mode, activating EDID under CCC, deactivating crossfire and running with and without include extension block

I am really at my wits end and I don't know what else to try. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2013, 12:36 PM
RE: QNIX qx2710 Overclocking issues
It sounds like something is interfering with EDID overrides. Check the device manager under display adapters. Are there any mirror drivers or anything other than your video cards?
10-02-2013, 01:03 PM
There are 2 copies of AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
10-02-2013, 03:58 PM
This is an unusual problem. It doesn't sound like a monitor issue. Something is preventing the EDID override from working properly. I don't know what it could be.

Try uninstalling the Catalyst driver. Then use the free version of Driver Fusion to make sure all settings are gone: http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion

Then reinstall the video driver and run the patcher again. If the problem still happens after that, there might be something else on your system preventing it from working properly.
10-03-2013, 01:43 AM (Last edited: 10-03-2013, 01:45 AM by niccroetger)
I am going to smash this walnut with a sledge hammer and do a clean install of windows, I will be back with results shortly.

Thanks for all the help so far by the way.
10-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Ok even from a clean install of windows, the only driver I installed is catalyst 13.9 (downgraded from 13.10 Beta too see if that was the problem). The same problem persists with no variation from before.

Is it possible that there is some kind of setting I am missing?

What will happen if I modify the default 60hz entry for my monitor or is this an absolute contraindication.

I also noticed that inside catalyst I can set my monitor to a refresh rate of 75hz (but the only default profiles in CRU for me are 60hz at 2560x1400 and 1920x1080)
10-03-2013, 09:37 AM
(10-03-2013 09:03 AM)niccroetger Wrote:  Ok even from a clean install of windows, the only driver I installed is catalyst 13.9 (downgraded from 13.10 Beta too see if that was the problem). The same problem persists with no variation from before.

Is it possible that there is some kind of setting I am missing?
No, you already covered the basics. This should be as simple as patching the driver and adding the refresh rate with CRU. Something weird is going on here.

(10-03-2013 09:03 AM)niccroetger Wrote:  What will happen if I modify the default 60hz entry for my monitor or is this an absolute contraindication.
You can edit the 60 Hz entry, but you'll need to keep something under 330 MHz pixel clock for driver updates so the unpatched driver has a resolution to use.

(10-03-2013 09:03 AM)niccroetger Wrote:  I also noticed that inside catalyst I can set my monitor to a refresh rate of 75hz (but the only default profiles in CRU for me are 60hz at 2560x1400 and 1920x1080)
You shouldn't be able to set 75 Hz if it's not listed in CRU.

1920x1080 shouldn't be listed in CRU either. Did you add it or was it already there? The QNIX can't handle anything other than 2560x1440.
10-03-2013, 09:40 AM (Last edited: 10-03-2013, 10:00 AM by niccroetger)
(10-03-2013 09:37 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  1920x1080 shouldn't be listed in CRU either. Did you add it or was it already there? The QNIX can't handle anything other than 2560x1440.

It was always there right from the beginning

Here is a picture of what CRU shows me with no edits

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Wow, that's definitely not right. You seem to have a different monitor. The overclockable QX2710 only has dual-link DVI. If yours has DisplayPort and HDMI, then you have the wrong model.

If yours only has dual-link DVI, then it has the wrong information. The only resolutions that should be there are 2560x1440 @ 59.950 Hz and anything else you add. Get rid of all the other resolutions, and leave the extension block disabled. If that doesn't work, then your monitor has different hardware and is not overclockable.
10-03-2013, 11:16 AM
I definitely have the QNIX q2710 but in my ignorance I ordered a model with support for all port types (HDMI, D-port, Duel link DVI ect)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matte-27-QNIX-QX...232e152f6d

I was unaware there was a model with only a DVI port.

If I was to run the monitor though the D-port cable would I have any luck overclocking or is it simply incompatible?