ReForce - not working with Window 8.1, replacement?
05-02-2014, 11:53 AM
ReForce - not working with Window 8.1, replacement?
Hello,

ReForce - a brilliant way to force 120/100/85Hz for any game. The way how it works is simple: this application delete all available modes except those from the list and if for eg: Child of Light want to set his 1024x768@60Hz mode, it's forced to set 1024x768@100Hz mode instead.

I was using it since forever but now it doesn't work with Windows 8.1 x64 :} I'm looking for any replacement.

I already try CRU + successfully created custom windows driver: everything seems fine except that old modes @60Hz,@75@ exist and are available to set via "Screen resolution > "Advanced settings" > "Monitor".

Anyone know similar application?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2014, 08:07 AM
RE: ReForce - not working with Window 8.1, replacement?
(05-02-2014 11:53 AM)AL|EN Wrote:  I already try CRU + successfully created custom windows driver: everything seems fine except that old modes @60Hz,@75@ exist and are available to set via "Screen resolution > "Advanced settings" > "Monitor".
What monitor and video card do you have? If the extension block is enabled, try disabling it. With no extension block, the only refresh rates that should be available are the ones defined with CRU. Make sure GPU scaling is disabled in the Catalyst Control Center.

AMD's driver also has a bug with Windows 8.1 where EDID overrides might not take effect after rebooting. See if restarting the driver makes any difference: https://www.monitortests.com/restart.zip
05-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Hi, sorry for late reply. I do some testing and experimenting. I have Windows 8.1 U1 x64 + GeForce GTX 770 (335.23). I was able to set only modes that I want. Thank you for this application.

Yet...

My main goal was to force 85Hz/100Hz/120Hz for ANY resolution that support those high display refresh values, like ReForce application do. Note that it doesn't mean "force every game to run with my maximum supported resolution and refresh rate".

So now, after CRU tweaks (and use driver restarter) Child of Light is forced to use my "maximum supported resolution and refresh rate that is bound to it". When you take look at the "Options" in this game, you cannot change resolution - i guess that is the results of EDID override.

Even if this is not exactly what I want, It's better than nothing and actually good alternative. So thank you for you great tool!

P.S. Can you tell me one thing? It is possible to write "ReForce2" from scratch to add Windows 8.x support?
05-12-2014, 02:59 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. CRU doesn't force the maximum supported resolution. It only defines what resolutions are supported by the monitor. You should be able to use any resolution that's available in Windows.

If GPU scaling is disabled, you should be able to define what refresh rate you want for each resolution separately. The only issue is the driver might try to add refresh rates from higher resolutions to lower resolutions, which I don't have control over.

If GPU scaling is enabled, the refresh rates you define for the native resolution should be available at any lower resolution.

(05-10-2014 07:24 PM)AL|EN Wrote:  P.S. Can you tell me one thing? It is possible to write "ReForce2" from scratch to add Windows 8.x support?
I don't know if there's a way to do what ReForce does in Windows 7/8. I thought about making a forced resolution utility where only one resolution is active at a time, but it would be a lot of work.
05-12-2014, 03:06 PM (Last edited: 05-12-2014, 03:42 PM by AL|EN)
I see. So it's a game fault that it doesn't detect any resolution when EDID override (because CoL can detect at least 3 resolution when there is no CRU modifications applied).

P.S."ReForce" application works without any problems on Windows 7 SP1 x64 but it must be run as administrator.
05-12-2014, 04:02 PM
(05-12-2014 03:06 PM)AL|EN Wrote:  P.S."ReForce" application works without any problems on Windows 7 SP1 x64 but it must be run as administrator.
I wasn't aware of any method that works with Vista/7/8. If it works with Windows 7, then it should work with Windows 8/8.1. I wonder something, see if it works if you boot with driver signature enforcement disabled: http://www.howtogeek.com/167723/how-to-d...d-drivers/
05-12-2014, 05:58 PM
Well, when I try to run ReForce, I get this: [Image: http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/screenshooter-legacy/xj-gcetjxbveteppehpnhxk.jpg]

and i try almost everything (compatibility mode etc), driver signature enforcement disabled didn't help as ReForce don't need to install any driver.