Samsung U28E590D Freesync range
04-08-2017, 06:49 PM
Question Samsung U28E590D Freesync range
I have been having a hard time trying to figure out the real Freesync range of this monitor, for like a month now. I'm on Windows 10 64bit, AMD 16.12.2 driver, with RX 480, and monitor driver installed. I also tested it under Windows 7 with old and new drivers, same results.

All of the reviews I have read before purchasing state that the range is 40-60 or at least 45-60.
AMD lists it having 40-60 range: AMD Official Freesync Monitors
A few others are reporting the same problem by the way.

What actually happens is, if I turn OFF Freesync in the monitor's OSD, I got the default maximum refresh rate of 60hz. With Freesync ON, maximum refresh rate becomes 64! And the FS range is actually 54-64! (Reported under Radeon Settings, and tested to be the case).

I tried many times to modify the range of Freesync using CRU, and everytime I do so and test it with games or AMD/Nvidia apps, the monitor will eventually turns white or green after a random amount of time (sometimes 10min, others up to 1 or 2 hours), What's interesting is that Freesync actually works in the range I specify (tried up to the 40-64 range).

Here's all the details that might be useful in diagnosis:

- Part of the manual that lists all of the panel specs (Keep in mind that FS is only working with Displayport):
U28E590D Manual

- Default timings and frequencies detected by CRU:
[Image: Ze9cSMr.jpg]
[Image: MgHEDIb.jpg]
[Image: B36G3zO.jpg]

Is the Freesync range of this monitor really is 54-64?! Or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2017, 06:26 PM
RE: Samsung U28E590D Freesync range
Well, it's reporting 54-64 Hz, so that's probably the actual range. Supposedly it can handle down to 50 Hz, but honestly I would just return the monitor and get a different monitor that will actually work at the range you want instead of trying to fix something that should work out of the box.
04-25-2017, 05:21 PM
(04-09-2017 06:26 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Well, it's reporting 54-64 Hz, so that's probably the actual range. Supposedly it can handle down to 50 Hz, but honestly I would just return the monitor and get a different monitor that will actually work at the range you want instead of trying to fix something that should work out of the box.

Thank you very much for your reply, much appreciated.

Actually I can't return the monitor as it's actually beyond the return period + Samsung removed any information about it's Freesync range off their website.

In addition to that, there're a few people who have their Freesync range properly detected as 40-60hz out of the box, while others have the same issue as mine.

Something interesting I noticed while experimenting with the FS range, is that the monitor's behavior is different if I set the low end of the FS range too low (35-64hz for ie.),
in this case, the monitor shows artifacts and weird patterns. And doesn't necessarily turns white and stuck as before.

So, based on my observations, would it be a problem with Freesync not having enough bandwidth or something? Anything I can do to prove/disprove this?

Again, thank you for your time.
04-25-2017, 11:41 PM
FreeSync runs at a fixed pixel clock speed, so the bandwidth doesn't change with the refresh rate. It basically extends the blanking period until the next frame is ready. This seems like a monitor limitation. Maybe if you bug Samsung support enough about the problem, they will exchange it for a different monitor.