Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
10-16-2016, 06:44 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(10-15-2016 05:39 PM)99spider Wrote:  I have been having issues with lightboost on my VG248QE ever since I got an RX 480. It used to work just fine on my 2 6870s, so I'm not sure if it something weird with the new card or the new drivers. Was using windows 10 in both cases. Current Radeon Software version is 16.10.1, but I have had issues with 16.9.1, 16.9.2, and probably a few other drivers (pretty much any driver released after the RX 480).

The monitor is connected using a dual link DVI.

strobelight.exe errors saying no compatible displays found. I included the debug.txt, hopefully it is useful.
I just got an RX 480 about a week ago, and I'm seeing the same problem. It's getting garbled responses from the monitor. I can't do anything about it. This is either a driver bug or a hardware limitation with the card. The problem only affects DVI. It still works with DisplayPort. I recommend getting a DisplayPort cable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-26-2016, 12:24 AM
I tried installing this for my Benq XL2411 but I'm having problems. I followed the instructions but after running Strobelight.exe I've been waiting for about an hour for it to complete the setup (currently over 20,000 passes). I'll assume at this stage that it's gone wrong?

What worries me more is, the first time I tried, I cancelled after about 10,000 passes, tried to uninstall everything but when I turned my PC back on, I can't get all of the monitor modes/refresh rates back. I tried uninstalling it through it's own panel but it still seems to be lingering.

So I guess what I'd like to know is, should the first test take anywhere near this long? Am I right in assuming that this is broken?

And secondly, how do I fully uninstall this and get my monitor back to it's previous modes/refresh rates?
10-26-2016, 01:53 AM
(10-26-2016 12:24 AM)Farflame Wrote:  I tried installing this for my Benq XL2411 but I'm having problems. I followed the instructions but after running Strobelight.exe I've been waiting for about an hour for it to complete the setup (currently over 20,000 passes). I'll assume at this stage that it's gone wrong?
You must have the XL2411Z and not the XL2411T. BenQ Z-series monitors are not compatible.

(10-26-2016 12:24 AM)Farflame Wrote:  What worries me more is, the first time I tried, I cancelled after about 10,000 passes, tried to uninstall everything but when I turned my PC back on, I can't get all of the monitor modes/refresh rates back. I tried uninstalling it through it's own panel but it still seems to be lingering.
Using strobelight-setup.exe to reset the display and rebooting should remove the EDID override and bring the original refresh rates back. It doesn't change anything else. If strobelight-setup.exe doesn't show a * in the display list, then there isn't anything left to remove.

You can also try running reset-all.exe that comes with CRU:
https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...tility-CRU
10-26-2016, 04:44 PM
Thanks, worked it out. As you say, there's nothing actually 'installed', I just had to reset all the monitor modes.

Thanks for your help.
10-27-2016, 11:05 PM
Hello, I have ASUS mg248q and video card from ati, can somehow configure LightBoost?
10-28-2016, 01:05 AM
(10-27-2016 11:05 PM)Billy Wrote:  Hello, I have ASUS mg248q and video card from ati, can somehow configure LightBoost?
No, only the monitors listed in the first post are supported.
10-28-2016, 06:41 AM (Last edited: 10-28-2016, 06:43 AM by falkentyne)
(10-26-2016 12:24 AM)Farflame Wrote:  I tried installing this for my Benq XL2411 but I'm having problems. I followed the instructions but after running Strobelight.exe I've been waiting for about an hour for it to complete the setup (currently over 20,000 passes). I'll assume at this stage that it's gone wrong?

What worries me more is, the first time I tried, I cancelled after about 10,000 passes, tried to uninstall everything but when I turned my PC back on, I can't get all of the monitor modes/refresh rates back. I tried uninstalling it through it's own panel but it still seems to be lingering.

So I guess what I'd like to know is, should the first test take anywhere near this long? Am I right in assuming that this is broken?

And secondly, how do I fully uninstall this and get my monitor back to it's previous modes/refresh rates?

After doing what ToastyX says, just use the XL2411Z's own blur reduction mode. Lightboost mode on the XL2411Z does have much lower overdrive ghosting (the panel, after all, is the same panel as used on the VG248Q, so Lightboost overdrive quality should be similar on both), but if you don't have an Nvidia video card, just use Benq blur reduction. You can get the same "crosstalk" level as Lightboost mode, by installing two custom resolutions, and using a "Vertical Total=1500" tweak, at 100hz and 120hz refresh rates, with the timings of front porch (48,3), sync width (32,5), HT 2080 and VT 1500. You need the pixel clock patcher installed for this. Make sure the "Strobe Phase" setting in the XL2411Z's service menu is set to "000". Strobe Duty=009 is a good starting point.

If you have an Nvidia video card and still want to use Lightboost for some reason, use ToastyX CRU, change the monitor's product ID to ACI27F8. This will change the monitor ID to Asus 120hz 3d LCD in the Nvidia stereovision tab (after rebooting). Then reboot and run the NVidia 3d vision setup. If it's not already installed, it should be in the NVidia driver extracted folder location somewhere. Once that's done, you need to 'test' 3d by doing the 3d test and then installing the lightboost custom resolutions:

100hz: porch 48,3
sync: 32,5
HT: 2080
VT: 1138

For 120hz: VT 1149.

Once you test one of these resolutions, Lightboost should turn on and you can control it with strobelight.
10-30-2016, 01:35 AM (Last edited: 10-30-2016, 01:53 AM by Inu)
I suddenly can't get this to work at all after it working for seemingly years. Even with Wins10 update it was working fine.

BENQ xl2420tx
Geforce 660ti

Not really sure what it could be.

EDIT: Something else i noticed. Generally when i reinstall strobelight
it'll do the "PASSES: 333 <--number going up" thing. Hasn't done that at all.
I do see the icon in the mini task bar though.
10-30-2016, 03:27 AM
(10-30-2016 01:35 AM)Inu Wrote:  I suddenly can't get this to work at all after it working for seemingly years. Even with Wins10 update it was working fine.

BENQ xl2420tx
Geforce 660ti

Not really sure what it could be.

EDIT: Something else i noticed. Generally when i reinstall strobelight
it'll do the "PASSES: 333 <--number going up" thing. Hasn't done that at all.
I do see the icon in the mini task bar though.
If the icon shows up, then LightBoost is already unlocked. If the monitor isn't strobing, reinstall the refresh rates and reboot. If that doesn't work, unplug the monitor's power for a minute to reset it and try again. If it still doesn't work, rename strobelight.exe to strobelight-debug.exe and give me the debug.txt file.
10-30-2016, 05:59 AM (Last edited: 04-29-2017, 04:20 AM by Inu)
The monitor unplugging did the trick!!! Thanks Toastyx i owe you a beer!

EDIT: Just for my future information----

Installed refresh rates.
Unplugged
Installed refresh rates.
Restarted.