Tempest monitor suddenly flickering randomly at 96hz only
11-17-2015, 10:38 PM (Last edited: 11-17-2015, 10:42 PM by tester68)
Tempest monitor suddenly flickering randomly at 96hz only
My Tempest x270oc is about ten months old now and it's been paired with an existing 30" monitor.

After (I believe it was after, I am certain I'd notice this right away) moving to Windows 10, I have seen intermittent and random flicker when running full screen programs at 96hz. It does not show artifacting or lines - rather it's just quick flashes of elements of what image is already being displayed. It's almost like if you were disconnecting a cable and the signal started to get interrupted.

40,60,96,120hz work on desktop
40,60,96,120hz work in full screen with 96hz being the only resolution to flicker.

I am using the same CRU profiles I did with Windows 7.
My 96hz settings are [Image: http://s27.postimg.org/5ekd0l6ub/Capture.jpg]

The only method I have found to reduce it(not 100%), is to tell the game to run 96hz, but leave the desktop at 60hz. The full screen game overrides the desktop setting anyways - not sure why that would make a difference, possibly placebo.

I have tried new cables, new drivers, reseated graphics cards, switched the port on the graphics card. The only thing left now is to switch to the other graphics card.

Failing that, any thoughts. Could the panel be dying already?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-18-2015, 12:28 AM
RE: Tempest monitor suddenly flickering randomly at 96hz only
If this is happening with AMD cards, then the memory clock might be changing when it shouldn't, such as when using multiple monitors. Are you overclocking the memory clock?

Try "LCD standard" for 96 Hz. I don't know why it would happen at 96 Hz but not 120 Hz. If this is happening with CrossFire, then it's probably a driver issue.
11-18-2015, 08:19 AM (Last edited: 11-18-2015, 08:23 AM by tester68)
I am not overclocking the cards, if any thing they are underclocked slightly (one is. I put it back to default clocks for testing, and it did not resolve the issue). Using the multiple monitors, causes the main card to run full memory speed all the time - that's how AMD GPUs are setup).

I disconnected the second monitor and the problem did not go away.

It would be nice if only a driver issue!

I changed it to a Standard LCD and rebooted. The image seems to be ok on the Desktop - I will test full screen later.
The Horizontal/Vertical is now 2720/1507. With a pixel clock of 393.51
11-21-2015, 11:57 PM
Hi Toasty, thanks again for the recommendation. After using LCD standard, I stopped having the issue - at least in several hours of using it. Having said that, one of my GPUs was on it's last legs and has now died. Since only having the one card in the machine, I've been back to the custom 2704/1450 timings and have had no issues.

When I replace the broken card and go back to using Crossfire, I'll keep an eye out for the flickering again to see if it's caused by Crossfire or by the bad card.