Unable to OC Catleap Q270
12-15-2014, 02:57 PM
Hey guys, I can't seem to overclock my monitor with the given setup at all:

Monitor: Yamakasi Q270 "2B Extreme OC"
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970, Driver version 344.75

Obviously, I've already attempted overclocking via the various methods outlined on this forum and others. The general setup seems to be:

1. Install Catleap monitor drivers
2. Patch Nvidia drivers
3. Attempt overclock

Of course, I restart the computer between each step just to be safe. However, even after supposedly patching the drivers, I can't seem to overclock my monitor at all. Despite following all the steps, the maximum "overclock" I can manage with this setup is a fairly pathetic 64Hz. Past that, I get a blank screen.

I've tried several things:

Three different DL DVI cables
Rotating the DVI ports on GPU
Restoring patch backups, then repatching
Completely uninstalling Nvidia drivers, then performing a clean installation and then following all the previous steps
Creating custom resolutions in CRU

Am I missing something here? Reading various threads made monitor overclocking seem pretty easy, but I can't seem to even get it working despite my efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-16-2014, 06:20 AM
RE: Unable to OC Catleap Q270
They probably sent you the wrong monitor. That happened a few times with green-sum when 120Hz.net was selling them. There's nothing that would cause a 64 Hz limit other than having the non-overclockable version.
12-16-2014, 03:34 PM
This probably isn't the best realm to be asking this question, but what do you know about green-sum replacements? I know that they don't guarantee a 120Hz overclock, but this seems more like the case of receiving the wrong model.
12-16-2014, 03:37 PM
(12-16-2014 03:34 PM)zosaryk Wrote:  This probably isn't the best realm to be asking this question, but what do you know about green-sum replacements? I know that they don't guarantee a 120Hz overclock, but this seems more like the case of receiving the wrong model.

Recent experience report: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-rep...p=94#r1865
12-16-2014, 04:40 PM
(12-16-2014 03:37 PM)Black Octagon Wrote:  
(12-16-2014 03:34 PM)zosaryk Wrote:  This probably isn't the best realm to be asking this question, but what do you know about green-sum replacements? I know that they don't guarantee a 120Hz overclock, but this seems more like the case of receiving the wrong model.

Recent experience report: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-rep...p=94#r1865

Thanks for that link. Although it's not the exact same scenario, I went ahead and messaged green-sum and am awaiting a reply. I don't really have high hopes, and I'm a little annoyed that this situation could arguably be considered false advertising.

In the meantime, is there any way to verify that I actually do have the correct model?
12-16-2014, 08:30 PM
You might have to bug them a few times because they will try to blame your computer first. When 120hz.net was selling them, the monitors did eventually get replaced with the correct version.
12-19-2014, 05:24 AM
Got a reply.

"We understand that you have done research on your own and have found people who were able to overclock with the same monitor and graphic card. However, As described on the product page, the manufacture can guarantee only the listed graphic cards to be compatible. Other graphic card outside from the list are up to the buyer and cannot be a reason for a return. We've had couple buyers recently who has reported the same issue (same graphic card and monitor), and for that, we decided to add the warning for graphic cards."

Other than that, they're asking me to either ship the monitor back myself or offer a partial refund of $20. Both are pretty sour options. Any advice on what I should do now?
12-19-2014, 08:44 AM
SERIOUSLY?! Last I checked, they failed to even mention cards above the 5xx/6xxx series. More recent cards are widely known to OC these monitors better. Sounds like a total cop-out to me
12-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Yeah, there's the fact that even the latest "compatible" graphics cards listed (GTX 580, Radeon HD 6990) are essentially approaching 4-5 years old now. It's definitely a cop-out, and I'm not really going to stop there.

I sent them a message basically saying that their compatibility list isn't related to overclock-ability, but instead based mainly on the ability to simply output the 2560x1440 resolution at all. It's not the strongest argument, but the half-decade old compatibility list really shouldn't be used to invalidate the issues with my monitor.