[Help] Black screen even after reset-all.exe
11-29-2023, 12:14 PM (Last edited: 11-29-2023, 12:16 PM by Monlevad)
[Help] Black screen even after reset-all.exe
Hi, yesterday I bought a USB-C DisplayPort (DP Alt Mode) cable in order to make use of the FreeSync function in my monitor (MSI Optix G27CQ4). I noticed some flickering going on while gaming and did some digging online to fix it. Stumbled upon a post mentioning the use of CRU to amplify the FreeSync range and potentially solve the flickering problem. So then, through CRU, I changed my FreeSync range from 48-165 to 35-165. I noticed the flickering was reduce, but still there. Then, suddenly black screen for 1-2 seconds. Did some more digging and decided to undo the changes I made. Booted the laptop on safe mode, ran the reset-all.exe and got the confirmation that values were reset to default. Rebooted. About 10 minutes later, while watching youtube, screen goes black and stays black. Unplugged the USB-C DisplayPort from my laptop, plugged it back and screen was alive again.
So now I'm a bit clueless, if reset-all.exe on SafeMode was not able to fix the black screens, did I potentially damage my monitor?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-29-2023, 04:24 PM
RE: [Help] Black screen even after reset-all.exe
That doesn't sound like anything CRU did. Black screens often happen when the cable is not good enough, but I also see a lot of complaints online about the G27CQ4 having flickering and black screen issues, so it might just be a design flaw with the monitor.
11-29-2023, 04:49 PM
(11-29-2023 04:24 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  That doesn't sound like anything CRU did. Black screens often happen when the cable is not good enough, but I also see a lot of complaints online about the G27CQ4 having flickering and black screen issues, so it might just be a design flaw with the monitor.

I appreciate the reply.
I am going to try and plug back the HDMI and see if the problem is solved. Indeed it’s really hard to tell if the problem comes from the CRU adjustments or the new cable as they are so close to each other time wise. I was thinking about restoring my system to 5 days prior and check if the issue is still there, do you think that’s a fair alternative?
11-29-2023, 06:10 PM
System restore shouldn't be necessary. CRU only creates EDID overrides, and it's easy to verify reset-all.exe removed the override. CRU would show a "*" after the monitor name/active status if an EDID override were still present, and your changes would still be visible. You can also use RegEdit to search the registry for "EDID_OVERRIDE" to verify there are no overrides present.