X-star DP2414 144Hz overclocking questions
12-17-2015, 02:42 AM
X-star DP2414 144Hz overclocking questions
Hello. I've recently bought a X-star DP2414 monitor from ebay. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/331620416893?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT)

I recieved it yesterday and started testing.

First thing i've noticed is my video card (gtx 980) doesn't go into idle mode (using 3 monitors) so i'm using this workaround: http://www.overclock.net/t/964370/howto-...idia-cards

With that fixed i've started overclocking. I've installed CRU and NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher but nothing above 144Hz worked with Nvidia Inspector - Multi Display Power Saver active, my screen just turned grey. (I guess video card was clocked too low for it to maintain > 144Hz?)

With Nvidia Inspector closed i've found out my limit is 202 Hz. Anything above and my desktop items start moving from side to side.

The more i increase the overclock over 144Hz, the brighter the screen becomes and i'm getting faintly visible scan lines in the top right corner, but they don't bother me.

My question is what's a safe overclock for this monitor? Are those scan lines a sign that the monitor can't handle the increased frequency?

I'll attach my CRU settings below. Thank you.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-18-2015, 04:58 AM
RE: X-star DP2414 144Hz overclocking questions
(12-17-2015 02:42 AM)grassk Wrote:  First thing i've noticed is my video card (gtx 980) doesn't go into idle mode (using 3 monitors) so i'm using this workaround: http://www.overclock.net/t/964370/howto-...idia-cards

With that fixed i've started overclocking. I've installed CRU and NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher but nothing above 144Hz worked with Nvidia Inspector - Multi Display Power Saver active, my screen just turned grey. (I guess video card was clocked too low for it to maintain > 144Hz?)
Modern video cards need a large enough vertical blanking period to give enough time to retrain the memory between refreshes without corrupting the screen. When using multiple monitors, there's no guarantee all the monitors will refresh at the same time, so the memory clock can't change unless they are all synchronized. Even if they are, the driver might not correctly handle retraining the memory with multiple monitors at higher refresh rates, which is why you see the gray screen.

(12-17-2015 02:42 AM)grassk Wrote:  The more i increase the overclock over 144Hz, the brighter the screen becomes and i'm getting faintly visible scan lines in the top right corner, but they don't bother me.

My question is what's a safe overclock for this monitor? Are those scan lines a sign that the monitor can't handle the increased frequency?
I can't comment on safety, but some 144 Hz monitors like the ASUS VG248QE show the same lines and brightening at 144 Hz and with LightBoost enabled at 120 Hz.
12-18-2015, 02:32 PM
Thanks for your answers.

Is there any way/point to decrease the vertical blanking in order to get the video card to downclock without the use of Nvidia Inspector? Or are my settings fine like this?

The monitor panel is AUO M240HW01 V8 which is the same as ASUS VG248QE, BenQ XL2411T, BenQ XL2420T, BenQ XL2411Z. Would 10Hz under the maximum overclock be a good refresh rate to keep it while gaming? What would you keep it at knowing that 202Hz is the max? (I won't blame you if it blows up, i'm just intrested in the opinions of people more experienced than me :>)
12-20-2015, 04:47 AM
(12-18-2015 02:32 PM)grassk Wrote:  Is there any way/point to decrease the vertical blanking in order to get the video card to downclock without the use of Nvidia Inspector? Or are my settings fine like this?
You'd want to increase the vertical blanking, not decrease it, but the video card won't clock down with multiple monitors regardless.

(12-18-2015 02:32 PM)grassk Wrote:  The monitor panel is AUO M240HW01 V8 which is the same as ASUS VG248QE, BenQ XL2411T, BenQ XL2420T, BenQ XL2411Z. Would 10Hz under the maximum overclock be a good refresh rate to keep it while gaming? What would you keep it at knowing that 202Hz is the max? (I won't blame you if it blows up, i'm just intrested in the opinions of people more experienced than me :>)
I would just use 200 Hz as a nice round number, or use 192 Hz to get a multiple of 24 FPS for movies. The 202 Hz limit is probably a timing controller limit and not a physical panel limit. It might be able to handle more if you tweak the timing parameters, and reducing the totals might reduce the lines and brightening effect.
12-20-2015, 06:40 PM
(12-20-2015 04:47 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(12-18-2015 02:32 PM)grassk Wrote:  Is there any way/point to decrease the vertical blanking in order to get the video card to downclock without the use of Nvidia Inspector? Or are my settings fine like this?
You'd want to increase the vertical blanking, not decrease it, but the video card won't clock down with multiple monitors regardless.

(12-18-2015 02:32 PM)grassk Wrote:  The monitor panel is AUO M240HW01 V8 which is the same as ASUS VG248QE, BenQ XL2411T, BenQ XL2420T, BenQ XL2411Z. Would 10Hz under the maximum overclock be a good refresh rate to keep it while gaming? What would you keep it at knowing that 202Hz is the max? (I won't blame you if it blows up, i'm just intrested in the opinions of people more experienced than me :>)
I would just use 200 Hz as a nice round number, or use 192 Hz to get a multiple of 24 FPS for movies. The 202 Hz limit is probably a timing controller limit and not a physical panel limit. It might be able to handle more if you tweak the timing parameters, and reducing the totals might reduce the lines and brightening effect.

You should read these threads.
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2475
http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2458

I guess you can go up to the point where the monitor just turns completely white.
12-20-2015, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the answers. The new max i've been able to reach with the timings from falkentyne's first link was 208 Hz. I think i will settle for 200 Hz. Should i pick those custom timings(attached below) or go for the LCD standard timings?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)