AMD screen tearing multiple monitors using multiple ports
07-04-2018, 05:06 AM
AMD screen tearing multiple monitors using multiple ports
Hi,

Awesome software.

I have a MSI rx580 8GB card and 2 x LG 27mp68vq freesync (1920 x 1080p) and 1 x LG 34um59 freesync (2560 x 1080p) monitors that i am using as a 3 monitor set for sim racing , i have since found out the hard way that i can't get the monitors to sync their refresh rates as i can get either the 34um59 fine and the 2 x 27mp68vq with tearing or both the 27mp68vq fine and the 34um59 with tearing.

The 34 has only hdmi x 2 as input and the 27's have 1 x hdmi , 1 x dvi and 1 x vga (i know i should have researched this more and bought monitors with dp inputs)
The card has 2 x hdmi and 2 x displayport and 1 x dvi (i have tried all combinations except dvi with the same result). I have both passive and active dp to hdmi adapters. I am using the hdmi inputs on all 3 monitors.

I believe it's because whichever i define in eyefinity as the preferred monitor sets the timing for all 3 , but there are slight timing differences between the hdmi and dp .

eg
34um59 refresh rate is 74.991hz and because it's the preferred monitor it outputs that frequency across both hdmi and dp but the 27mp68vq is 74.975hz(from memory) via hdmi .
My theory is i should be able to create a custom resolution with 74.991hz for both the 27mp68vq via hdmi to make them sync with the 74.991hz refresh rate being output to all 3.

Will this work as i expect ? or other suggestions for a fix would be appreciated.

Thanks

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2018, 04:13 PM
RE: AMD screen tearing multiple monitors using multiple ports
The only way to make sure all monitors can be synchronized is to make the horizontal/vertical totals and the refresh rate exactly the same, but there's still no guarantee that the video card will be synchronized across the different ports.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply