Surround & 4k Scaling Dilemma
05-25-2021, 07:33 AM
RE: Surround & 4k Scaling Dilemma
Well, guess I'll do a quick update on this, I did find a way to get it working. Basically, I have to span the game across my monitors without using surround. I use GPU integer scaling and set the 4k display to 1080p (drops to 95hz though for some reason). Then I run the game in windowed mode, and set it to the 5760x1080 resolution. I use Simple Runtime Window Editor (SRWE) to resize and position the window to fill all three screens. The tough part is getting the game to actually adjust the size of its viewport, rather than just stretching into a blurry mess. The process is different for different games, but I managed to find ways to do it, however janky it was.

As for how it looks, I definitely prefer it over the blurriness from before, but it's not perfect. Of course, the panels are still different, so the colors and contrast aren't quite the same. The 1080p panels also have a noticeable "screen door effect", whereas the integer scaled 4k does not. This leads to the 4k looking more pixelated, since the pixels have a more defined edge and look more square. Overall though, I'm fine with the result, it's an acceptable compromise.

Now I'm interested to try make the 1080p displays run at 4k using DSR, and make the game run in a 11520x2160 window. Obviously not feasible for certain games, but curious how it might look.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Surround & 4k Scaling Dilemma - a1337cookie - 05-25-2021 07:33 AM