Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
08-24-2015, 12:45 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(08-23-2015 04:17 AM)Wizard Wrote:  So does this mean that I should try the regular version to see if it will fix the problem?
No, I'm just saying the regular version wouldn't show the message because the default non-strobed 120/110/100 Hz should be available even if the EDID override wasn't loading, but the strobing options won't work correctly.

(08-23-2015 04:17 AM)Wizard Wrote:  Another thing I just thought of. Is it possible that my monitor's driver (the driver for the device under 'Monitors' in the Device Manager) could be interfering with the EDID Override? I installed a windows 8 driver for my VG248QE because there wasn't one for windows 10, and in the past I used a windows 7 one.
Monitors don't need drivers. Monitor "drivers" are just information files, and most don't do anything useful other than set the device name and maybe install a useless color profile, which can be done separately through the color management control panel. EDID overrides are part of the monitor information in the registry, but installing a monitor driver shouldn't interfere with that because most monitor drivers don't have EDID overrides, and strobelight-setup.exe would override that anyway. I just installed the ASUS VG248QE Windows 8 WHQL driver just to make sure.

(08-23-2015 04:17 AM)Wizard Wrote:  Or is it possible that because I have so many scaled resolutions in CRU, it causes windows to not understand the override and ignore it. I only added the ones that were there by default though, but I don't fully understand how the custom extension block works. I'm just grasping at straws here.
The graphics driver processes the override, so this wouldn't be a Windows issue. What scaled resolutions did you add? The graphics driver automatically adds some common lower resolutions as scaled resolutions even if they are not defined. Most of the lower resolutions defined by the ASUS VG248QE should already exist by default.

(08-23-2015 04:17 AM)Wizard Wrote:  EDIT. So I did some more debugging in CRU. Every time I restart my displays with restart64.exe, it will add an inactive monitor EDID profile to the list. Is that a sign that there's something wrong with my monitor driver?
It's normal for there to be one other inactive entry because it switches to the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter driver while restarting. If it keeps creating more and more entries, then something weird is going on.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
3D Vision WITHOUT LightBoost??? - weasel - 02-19-2014, 08:07 AM
RE: GeForce 344.11 - jayache80 - 10-06-2014, 02:25 AM
uninstalling failed? - l8nite - 11-04-2014, 06:21 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA - ToastyX - 08-24-2015 12:45 PM
ASUS MG248Q - TeddyTries - 12-24-2019, 04:27 AM