Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
11-21-2013, 11:06 PM
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
I wanted to test it on my Asus VE247T

I can run strobelight-setup.exe just fine, and I've installed what I need, but when I try to run strobelight.exe it says:

Code:
[2013-11-22 00:01:06.316] LOAD(AMD): LoadLibrary("atiadlxx.dll") = ERROR 126
[2013-11-22 00:01:06.316] LOAD(AMD): LoadLibrary("atiadlxy.dll") = ERROR 126
[2013-11-22 00:01:06.317] LOAD(NVIDIA): NvAPI_Initialize() = SUCCESS
[2013-11-22 00:01:06.320] INIT: No compatible displays found.
[2013-11-22 00:01:07.357] INIT: No compatible displays found.
[2013-11-22 00:01:08.611] INIT: No compatible displays found.
[2013-11-22 00:01:09.104] INIT: No compatible displays found.

Is there a way to bypass this check and force it load on my monitor?
I have a very bad ghosting problem on this model.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2013, 03:39 AM
The VE247T does not support LightBoost. It will not help with your ghosting problem.
11-23-2013, 02:53 PM
I installed "Strobelight Beta 3 by ToastyX" (checked 120 and 121 Hz, it was checked by default), copied "strobelight.exe" to autoload folder, reloaded computer. After reload I see window with label "No strobed refresh rates found". When I play games, I see no effect of strobelight, I think it doesn't work. Why is this, can anyone help?
11-23-2013, 08:57 PM
I need more information. What GPU? What monitor? How is it connected? What version of Windows?

If you have an NVIDIA GPU, make sure GeForce Experience is not installed.
11-24-2013, 01:36 PM (Last edited: 11-24-2013, 02:31 PM by doomsaint)
installed .exe and put .exe in startup. Rebooted and when windows loads up, I lose my desktop. The wallpaper is still there but nothing else. I cannot access anything. Ive tried restarting and cancelling the initialization after unplugging monitor but I still lose my desktop. Im completely locked out of my system!! Please help!!

Is this just initialization time? How long can it take? ...makin me panic lol.

(11-24-2013 01:36 PM)doomsaint Wrote:  installed .exe and put .exe in startup. Rebooted and when windows loads up, I lose my desktop. The wallpaper is still there but nothing else. I cannot access anything. Ive tried restarting and cancelling the initialization after unplugging monitor but I still lose my desktop. Im completely locked out of my system!! Please help!!

This is on the Asus vg248qe and my gpu is msi 7970.

(11-24-2013 01:36 PM)doomsaint Wrote:  installed .exe and put .exe in startup. Rebooted and when windows loads up, I lose my desktop. The wallpaper is still there but nothing else. I cannot access anything. Ive tried restarting and cancelling the initialization after unplugging monitor but I still lose my desktop. Im completely locked out of my system!! Please help!!

This is on the Asus vg248qe and my gpu is msi 7970.

I had to boot into safe mode and uninstall to get my desktop back. left it like that for an hour. Any tips? Windows 7.
11-24-2013, 05:07 PM (Last edited: 11-24-2013, 05:41 PM by steve47co1)
Hi Toasty,

Great program! Installed it yesterday and it worked flawlessly; control/alt +/-, ctrl/alt F10, F11, F12 worked great. Games were amazing - no blur and at 120z, STALKER COP is a new game.

This morning, I booted my computer and it started with the green light on my BenQ XL2420T in the lit position. Tried the ctrl/alt +/- ; no result. The lightboost function is on and will not turn off unless I uninstall the program.

Evga GTX 770, Win 7, 8GB RAM, latest Nvidia drivers - 331.82, using Display Port connection from the card to the monitor. (Question - should I use the Nvidia settings to control brightness, contrast or gamma or let other applications control these setting in the Nvidia control panel? Regardless of which one I use, ctrl/alt doesn't work anyway.)

Help! I love the program for games, but not for text.

Thank you.
11-24-2013, 06:41 PM

If the taskbar is missing, then something is preventing Explorer.exe from loading properly. Strobelight doesn't do anything that would cause that to happen. Initializing the VG248QE usually takes less than two minutes and would not block the desktop from loading.

Nothing in the Startup folder should be able to prevent Explorer.exe from loading. The only thing I can think of is maybe some antivirus program is blocking Explorer.exe for some reason.
11-24-2013, 07:07 PM
(11-24-2013 05:07 PM)steve47co1 Wrote:  This morning, I booted my computer and it started with the green light on my BenQ XL2420T in the lit position. Tried the ctrl/alt +/- ; no result. The lightboost function is on and will not turn off unless I uninstall the program.
Make sure GeForce Experience is not installed. The refresh rates should be available in both the NVIDIA control panel and the Windows screen resolution settings.

Is "Strobing off" available in the menu? When you press Ctrl Alt +/-, does the refresh rate actually change?

(11-24-2013 05:07 PM)steve47co1 Wrote:  Question - should I use the Nvidia settings to control brightness, contrast or gamma or let other applications control these setting in the Nvidia control panel?
Strobelight doesn't use those settings, so it doesn't matter. "Other applications" just means don't mess with the current color settings, while "Use NVIDIA settings" means use the custom color settings.
11-24-2013, 07:17 PM (Last edited: 11-24-2013, 08:43 PM by steve47co1)
(11-24-2013 07:07 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-24-2013 05:07 PM)steve47co1 Wrote:  This morning, I booted my computer and it started with the green light on my BenQ XL2420T in the lit position. Tried the ctrl/alt +/- ; no result. The lightboost function is on and will not turn off unless I uninstall the program.
Make sure GeForce Experience is not installed. The refresh rates should be available in both the NVIDIA control panel and the Windows screen resolution settings.

Is "Strobing off" available in the menu? When you press Ctrl Alt +/-, does the refresh rate actually change?

(11-24-2013 05:07 PM)steve47co1 Wrote:  Question - should I use the Nvidia settings to control brightness, contrast or gamma or let other applications control these setting in the Nvidia control panel?
Strobelight doesn't use those settings, so it doesn't matter. "Other applications" just means don't mess with the current color settings, while "Use NVIDIA settings" means use the custom color settings.

Hi Toasty,

Thanks for the quick response. Answers to your questions:

1. GeForce Experience not installed. The refresh rates show up in all menus as 120hz.
2. "Strobing off" is greyed out in the menu.
3. Pressing "Ctrl/Alt +/-" does nothing even though I checked all 3 boxes for 120, 110, and 100hz when I installed the program.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the beta 3 version - picked my 3 refresh rates - rebooted - only one refresh rate - 120 - shown - Strobing Off still greyed out.

Does that help?
11-25-2013, 12:38 AM
You need to add a non-strobed refresh rate such as 121 Hz to be able to turn strobing off.

I don't know why the other refresh rates are not showing up, especially since you had it working before. Check the device manager under display adapters and make sure there are no mirror drivers or anything other than your video card.