Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
01-20-2014, 02:16 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(01-18-2014 06:28 PM)viking Wrote:  The method described above worked great until recently (my original post here: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...29#pid1229 ).
The setting no longer sticks in NVIDIA Control Panel when I switch between the "monitors". I tried to reset and re-import but it didn't help.

Not sure what could have happened to make this stop working. The import appears to work as EXP0901- EP-HDMI-RX (transmitter/receiver) has the same listed resolutions as the MEID08E - AE3000 (the projector).
If you imported the projector's EDID into the receiver's configuration and the extension blocks are enabled, then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

(01-18-2014 06:28 PM)viking Wrote:  Would it maybe work if I used device manager to import the inf instead? If I try this, how could I later undo it?
It's worth a try. Make sure you install the file with the projector disconnected so that it overrides the receiver's EDID. You can uninstall the file in the device manager by right-clicking on the monitor and choosing "Uninstall" from the menu.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2014, 02:31 AM (Last edited: 01-20-2014, 02:37 AM by Bklynnykid)
(01-20-2014 02:03 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-18-2014 02:44 PM)Bklynnykid Wrote:  I upgrade my GPU to the R 7750 and the "no audio over hdmi" is back. I get my custom resolution but no audio.
Here are the steps I took so far:
(1) Completely cleaned AMD drivers using the DDU tool from 3dGuru
(2) Reinstalled AMD drivers
(3) Set custom resolution with CRU and using the dat file you provided
(4) Set custom resolution with CRU with extension block unchecked and deleted the dat file you provided (will not work with it checked)

The driver doesn't need to be patched with this card but I tried that as well just to see if it would work. I used all of the steps outlined above with the driver patched as well.

Current config:
- Radeon HD 7750
- CRU custom res of 2560x1600@60Hz via HDMI
- Include extension block unchecked
- Latest AMD driver
- Driver NOT patched

I ran the EDID utility and attached the output files.
The EDID doesn't change with the video card. You shouldn't have to do anything differently.

The extension block must be enabled for audio to work. Does audio work at 1920x1080 with the hdmi-audio-5.1-192.dat file? If you run reset-all.exe and reboot, does audio work at 1920x1080? Does audio work with the hdmi-audio.dat file?

It was enabled the entire time with both dat files. Not sure what happened, but it started working all of a sudden. The only thing I did was remove my PC from my domain and re-add it to the domain to fix another issue. After the restart audio was working. What ever it was, I'll take it.

But to answer your question, at the default HDMI resolution of 1920x1200@60Hz audio always works and I do not have to use any dat files. It only fails when I use my custom resolution without a dat file. Any idea why that happens? My Dell U3011 supports a max resolution of 2560x1600@60Hz. If I do not use the dat file, I have to uncheck the extension block in order to get my custom resolution to work.
01-21-2014, 01:26 AM
(01-20-2014 02:31 AM)Bklynnykid Wrote:  But to answer your question, at the default HDMI resolution of 1920x1200@60Hz audio always works and I do not have to use any dat files. It only fails when I use my custom resolution without a dat file. Any idea why that happens? My Dell U3011 supports a max resolution of 2560x1600@60Hz. If I do not use the dat file, I have to uncheck the extension block in order to get my custom resolution to work.
That's because audio support is defined in the extension block, so it needs to be enabled for audio to work. AMD's driver also listens to the HDMI pixel clock limit in the extension block, which is why the file is needed to for the custom resolution to work with the extension block enabled. The file overrides the limit and includes the audio support information. The limit override only works with some monitor/GPU combinations, which is why the patch is needed in some cases.
01-21-2014, 01:28 AM
(01-18-2014 09:57 AM)lols90 Wrote:  ive got an problem with my monitor lg flatron w2443t
i want a higher refresh rate but i used every tool&trick and none of them worked.
it doesnt matter what changes i do in cru
for example im adding a custom resolution 2560x1440p@60hz
after that i reboot my computer and its still 1080p(nativeres.) and when i open up the screen resolution settings from windows, there is no 1440p res. to select.
Make sure the highest resolution is listed first even if it's not native. You can use the arrow buttons to move them around. If the extension block is enabled, try disabling it.

(01-18-2014 09:57 AM)lols90 Wrote:  it also shows me 6 monitors instead of just one. also the generic pnp monitor has changed to default monitor for some reason.
Where did that happen?

(01-18-2014 02:54 PM)lols90 Wrote:  like I said it doesn't matter what I change in cru.

even if I setup a res. like this > 1920x1080p@61hz it will give me the same problem, thats just 1 hz more.

it seems that my computer cannot save these custom settings.

does this happen because of the drivers or is it just my monitor not accepting custom res./refresh rates ?
That's a driver issue. I don't know why you are having this problem.

(01-18-2014 02:54 PM)lols90 Wrote:  EDIT: just tried your tool on a new fresh winvista os and its working very nice. thank you toastyX!!
It should work with Windows 7. Something was getting in the way with your old setup, but I don't know what it could be.
01-21-2014, 03:48 AM (Last edited: 01-21-2014, 06:17 AM by JonnyRedHed)
For me and my setup, my highest res is 2560x1440@75 (in games only), native should be 1080p, but now 2560x1440 shows in NV control panel (native) and in windows (recommended). 2560x1440 is at the top of CRU. Does setting something at the top of the CRU list automatically mark it as 'native' in the NV control panel and 'recommended' in the windows panel. (Win7)

Is there a way to mark any entry as native, such as 1920x1080 (1080p) for me on my plasma screen. Does it matter?

I found with CRU on my system that the NV HD audio seems to go into a sort of error if I edit my CRU listing and re-import the hdmi-audio.dat file again. Upon reboot the Nvidia TV output says 'Digitaloutput-4' and the sample rate format section drop down is greyed out and locked to 16bit 48khz. I then remove the NV HD audio driver, reset CRU, reboot, and add all entries again and import the hdmi-audio.dat file again, reboot. I did have 4 entries which might have caused it, using just 3 entries seems to all work, add a 4th to the top CRU section and my HD audio goes into error like I mention above.
01-21-2014, 04:36 PM
need your help toasty as im stuck....
--------------------------------------------------
Monitor : AOC 29" 2560x1080p @60hz.... 21:9 Aspect : LG Panel.
Connection : crossfire 7900 series cards ~ mini displayport to displayport cable.

Theoretically i should have no pixel limits but for some reason i do.

Resolutions that work so far :

2560x1080 native resolution @*72hz (*judder free 24hz bluray playback) or 75hz or 76hz or 85hz
2560x1440 works @60hz (Aspect ratio is out looks stretched
2560x1600 works @60hz (Aspect ratio is out looks more stretched
3000x1440 works @60hz (Aspect ratio is out looks nearly right
3440x1440 works @60hz (Aspect ratio correct 21:9 Perfect) (Even though the quality is great, could do with making the text more sharp.)

All of the above work without any issues and without driver patched as displayport does not need it though i might be wrong as for some reason i am hitting a pixel clock limit for some reason.

im trying to get 100-120hz working @ native
i can get 100hz working perfectly with a pixel clock :300.25mhz
now when i try to go for 120hz i can only seem to get 109hz locked with a pixel clock at :327.00mhz this is where im stuck i can not for the life of me get over 327mhz im stuck and for 120hz i need over 370+mhz why am i stuck here
i figure its pixel limit as when i try to add the resolution i get a adl display_mode timing override failed using the downsampling GPU....
also the other issue is listed above is there any way to make the text ultra sharp or more sharp than it already is, i have tried cleartype on and off ...... i wonder why im hitting a limit though :/
01-22-2014, 04:04 AM (Last edited: 01-22-2014, 04:06 AM by Bklynnykid)
(01-21-2014 01:26 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-20-2014 02:31 AM)Bklynnykid Wrote:  But to answer your question, at the default HDMI resolution of 1920x1200@60Hz audio always works and I do not have to use any dat files. It only fails when I use my custom resolution without a dat file. Any idea why that happens? My Dell U3011 supports a max resolution of 2560x1600@60Hz. If I do not use the dat file, I have to uncheck the extension block in order to get my custom resolution to work.
That's because audio support is defined in the extension block, so it needs to be enabled for audio to work. AMD's driver also listens to the HDMI pixel clock limit in the extension block, which is why the file is needed to for the custom resolution to work with the extension block enabled. The file overrides the limit and includes the audio support information. The limit override only works with some monitor/GPU combinations, which is why the patch is needed in some cases.

Looks like checking GPU scaling was causing the issue. The "no audio over HDMI" came back and unchecking GPU Scaling in CCC immediately fixed the issue without even rebooting the PC. Have you seen this behavior before?
01-22-2014, 05:30 AM
(01-22-2014 04:04 AM)Bklynnykid Wrote:  

Looks like checking GPU scaling was causing the issue. The "no audio over HDMI" came back and unchecking GPU Scaling in CCC immediately fixed the issue without even rebooting the PC. Have you seen this behavior before?

That wasn't it. Lost audio again after a reboot. However, Checking/Unchecking GPU scaling restores audio immediately. I am going to put the HD 6750 back in and see how it does. Looks like this 7750 may be having issues, which is unfortunate.
01-22-2014, 03:15 PM
Hey Toasty, Just signed up to say thanks for all the work you're doing to help us downsample.

I do have an issue though, With AMD Cat 12.11 I was able to downsample my monitor to 2720x1530 from a default resolution of 1920x1080, I've patched the pixel clock using the latest patcher and tried using the updated CRU and adding 2720x1530 manually.

My problem though is that after rebooting, when I select the new resolution I get a black screen with the following message

Quote:DVI Out Of Range
94.5kHz / 60Hz

I'm currently using a Sapphire HD 7950 OC edition and my monitor is an LG Flatron W2261VP

Needless to say, I'm getting increasingly frustrated with trying to downsample and not finding any solutions other than install Cat 12.11 beta 4 and sticking with it, The problem is though.. That BF4 specifically keeps throwing an error about running out of date drivers when I do that, Plus I get worse performance under Cat 12.11 B4.

Are there any solutions to make my monitor "take" the downsampled resolution without resorting to downgrading to really old betas?

Thanks!
01-22-2014, 07:29 PM
(01-22-2014 05:30 AM)Bklynnykid Wrote:  
(01-22-2014 04:04 AM)Bklynnykid Wrote:  

That wasn't it. Lost audio again after a reboot. However, Checking/Unchecking GPU scaling restores audio immediately. I am going to put the HD 6750 back in and see how it does. Looks like this 7750 may be having issues, which is unfortunate.

Experienced the same issue with both cards. Must be an AMD driver issue at this point.