Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
01-25-2014, 08:48 PM (Last edited: 01-25-2014, 08:49 PM by aufkrawall)
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello,
thanks for CRU, it's a great tool.

But since I have installed Windows 7, I'm having an annoying issue.
I am on a GTX 670 SLI and I used CRU to force the display to 75Hz (unchecked include extension block).
After a restart the display runs with 75Hz, but Windows still offers just 60Hz in the display settings. Nvidia Control Panel reports 75Hz.
Anything I can do about it?
It's somewhat nasty because it prevents madVR to enter fullscreen exclusive mode.

I already tried the reset tool and completely uninstalled the Nvidia driver, both didn't help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-25-2014, 09:43 PM
(01-20-2014 02:16 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-18-2014 06:28 PM)viking Wrote:  The method described above worked great until recently (my original post here: https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Threa...29#pid1229 ).
The setting no longer sticks in NVIDIA Control Panel when I switch between the "monitors". I tried to reset and re-import but it didn't help.

Not sure what could have happened to make this stop working. The import appears to work as EXP0901- EP-HDMI-RX (transmitter/receiver) has the same listed resolutions as the MEID08E - AE3000 (the projector).
If you imported the projector's EDID into the receiver's configuration and the extension blocks are enabled, then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

(01-18-2014 06:28 PM)viking Wrote:  Would it maybe work if I used device manager to import the inf instead? If I try this, how could I later undo it?
It's worth a try. Make sure you install the file with the projector disconnected so that it overrides the receiver's EDID. You can uninstall the file in the device manager by right-clicking on the monitor and choosing "Uninstall" from the menu.
1.There is a check-mark in the extension block. After I imported the Projector EDID using CRU, the transmitter listed the projector's resolution. Thus, everything seemed OK. However, the NVIDIA control panel setting didn't stick when turning on/off the projector (when projector is off it shows the transmitter EP-HDMI-RX; when it is on it shows the projector AE3000).

Note that the name change is desirable because I set AE3000 as the default device for the Sound (in Windows Sound Panel). When the projector is off the AE3000 is removed and the Sound automatically reverts back to the PC Speakers.

2. I next tried to import the INF file into the registry and the name of the EP-HDMI-RX then changed to AE3000 as expected. In this case, the NVIDIA control panel setting did stick when turning on/off the projector as I wanted! However, although this solution solved the NVIDA issue, the Sound no longer reverts back to the PC speakers because the AE3000 device is never removed.

Thus, I would need to use CRU rather than the registry to import the EDID. I just don't understand why it doesn't work anymore (it used to work). Can it be that my current NVIDA driver looks at the name of the attached device and the setting is therefore lost when the name changes? How can I troubleshoot this?
01-26-2014, 04:09 AM
(01-25-2014 09:43 PM)viking Wrote:  Note that the name change is desirable because I set AE3000 as the default device for the Sound (in Windows Sound Panel). When the projector is off the AE3000 is removed and the Sound automatically reverts back to the PC Speakers.
Have you tried changing just the name while leaving the IDs matched? You can change the name in CRU using the "Edit..." button at the top. Make sure you have no more than three detailed resolutions because it needs a slot to save the name.
01-26-2014, 04:25 AM
(01-25-2014 08:48 PM)aufkrawall Wrote:  But since I have installed Windows 7, I'm having an annoying issue.
I am on a GTX 670 SLI and I used CRU to force the display to 75Hz (unchecked include extension block).
After a restart the display runs with 75Hz, but Windows still offers just 60Hz in the display settings. Nvidia Control Panel reports 75Hz.

That sounds like the NVIDIA driver bug mentioned in the main post:

(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Note for NVIDIA users: GeForce Experience is known to cause issues with EDID overrides such as resolutions being listed in the NVIDIA control panel but not in the Windows screen resolution settings. Either uninstall "NVIDIA GeForce Experience" through the Windows control panel, or install the NVIDIA driver without GeForce Experience by using the custom install option.

Alternatively, if you want to use GeForce Experience, enable the extension block and import this file: https://www.monitortests.com/blank-extension.dat
01-26-2014, 02:24 PM
(01-26-2014 04:25 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-25-2014 08:48 PM)aufkrawall Wrote:  But since I have installed Windows 7, I'm having an annoying issue.

That sounds like the NVIDIA driver bug mentioned in the main post:

(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  Note for NVIDIA users: GeForce Experience is known to cause issues with EDID overrides such as resolutions being listed in the NVIDIA control panel but not in the Windows screen resolution settings. Either uninstall "NVIDIA GeForce Experience" through the Windows control panel, or install the NVIDIA driver without GeForce Experience by using the custom install option.

Alternatively, if you want to use GeForce Experience, enable the extension block and import this file: https://www.monitortests.com/blank-extension.dat
Thanks a lot. Smile
01-27-2014, 06:26 AM (Last edited: 01-27-2014, 06:28 AM by Algeriano)
First of all, thank you very much for this app Smile

I followed the instructions but its not working for me for some reason

I have a laptop with dual graphic cards:
Intel HD Graphics 4000 + nVidia GeForce GT 650M

I connected an Acer AL1916W LCD Monitor

but my Windows 8 is not offering me any resolution but 1024*768

however my monitors native resolution is 1440*900

I used your app as instructed

I added the resolution "1440*900" into both "Detaild Resolutions" and "Standard Resolutions" boxes

when I reboot I find out that there is a star next to my monitors name but I still can't find the options neither on Windows nor nVidia's control panel

so sorry if this is a repeated question

Cheers
01-27-2014, 12:51 PM
got 120fps working guys Wink
though you still have to enable product mode to get rid of the input not support mesage Wink
but the monitor is fully capable (even if there is frame skipping i cant see it in movies and games and on desktop Big Grin

[Image: http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/843/0tbw.png]

though i have a Q toasty sometimes when i reboot my computer i will get no display when i return to windows i have to when windows loads i can see it on my other monitor but this monitor stays black until i unplug then plug back in the display port cable then the display works.
could it be a slight sync issue ???? anything i can change to make the resolution sync better.

2560x1080p @120
01-27-2014, 10:57 PM
(01-27-2014 06:26 AM)Algeriano Wrote:  First of all, thank you very much for this app Smile

I followed the instructions but its not working for me for some reason

I have a laptop with dual graphic cards:

I connected an Acer AL1916W LCD Monitor

but my Windows 8 is not offering me any resolution but 1024*768

however my monitors native resolution is 1440*900

I used your app as instructed

I added the resolution "1440*900" into both "Detaild Resolutions" and "Standard Resolutions" boxes

when I reboot I find out that there is a star next to my monitors name but I still can't find the options neither on Windows nor nVidia's control panel

so sorry if this is a repeated question

Cheers

Same problem here. Dual video cards, no additional options in Windows display settings, NVidia panel only shows 3D settings, and no additional options in Intel graphics display settings (this is actually were resolution/color is controlled outside of the Windows display settings).

Drivers updated and current for Intel and nVidia, and I went ahead and ran the refresh rate patcher for nVidia too, even though I think the custom resolution has to come from the Intel graphics.

Thanks in advance for the help, looking forward to getting this working with you great tool!

Info:
HP Envy 15 with Intel i7 4700 @ 2.4GHz
Monitor: Dell U2711, native resolution 2560x1440 (listed correctly in tool)
Graphics1: Intel HD Graphics 4600
Driver: 10.18.10.3277
Graphics2: nVidia GeForce GT 740M
Driver: 9.18.13.3221 (uninstalled/wiped/clean reinstall)
01-28-2014, 02:43 PM
(01-27-2014 06:26 AM)Algeriano Wrote:  I have a laptop with dual graphic cards:

(01-27-2014 10:57 PM)cnutt Wrote:  Same problem here. Dual video cards, no additional options in Windows display settings, NVidia panel only shows 3D settings, and no additional options in Intel graphics display settings (this is actually were resolution/color is controlled outside of the Windows display settings).

Please read the requirements:

(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
  • Intel's graphics driver does not support EDID overrides
  • Laptops with switchable graphics are not supported

You have to use Intel's CustomModeApp.exe: http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029478.htm
01-28-2014, 08:33 PM
Hi,

Which timings should i test with a Panasonic ST30 in 1920x1080 @47.952 Hz ?

I tried all 3 Automatic options (LCD until CRT) and i got a black screen.
I'm pretty sure my Panasonic Plasma can take 48Hz but it's quite long to search timings because of the necessary reboot.

Can you help me ?

Thanks a lot