Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-11-2014, 01:28 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-03-2014 11:39 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 10:00 PM)mikey32230 Wrote:  Anyways, since this switch only allows the computer to see 1 monitor at a time, both are categorized as the same generic non-pnp monitor. When i switch between monitors, the computer continues to think that the same generic non-pnp monitor is there. Thus no resolution changes occur between switching.

I'm stuck because even if i did force a resolution for my dell monitor to stop it from being a generic non-pnp monitor, then when i switch to the sony tv, the resolution will stay at whatever the dell monitor is set to because the computer thinks its that same monitor.
Without DDC, both monitors will be treated as the same monitor. You can still add the resolutions for both monitors, then switch the resolution manually before you switch the monitor. You can also use keyboard shortcuts to change the resolution: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/17604/cha...-shortcut/

(08-03-2014 10:00 PM)mikey32230 Wrote:  Any suggestions? i'll try to get a replacement switch, to see if this one is just faulty, but i think this is just how it is. This is what im using: http://tinyurl.com/k98d4vl

This is the only vga switch, reasonably priced. Any help at all i would appreciate if you know of anything.
If the switch really does support DDC, then it could be a problem with the cables. Make sure the cables have all 15 pins. Older cables don't have the pin needed for DDC, and some cheap cables might have dummy pins that aren't connected. If the monitor is detected properly without the switch, then the problem is probably the switch.

Okay i made a little bit of progress. I got a replacement MT-ViKi vga switch. This one seems to do a slightly better job. When i have either the dell monitor or Sony TV hooked up it will recognize it has a generic pnp monitor. However, if i switch from my Dell monitor to the Sony TV the resolution will stay at 1280 x 1024 (75hz) instead of switching to the Sony TV native resolution of 1280 x 768. BUT, if i go to control panel > Displays > Screen resolution and click the Detect button. The Native resolution of the current display gets recognized.

Do you know anything about this? why windows isnt auto-detecting the display change?

Is there anything CRU can do about it?

I could use the Hot key resolution changer if need be, but im so close to an automatic resolution switch. I just don't know why windows isnt doing it. Perhaps, its still the switch not commuicating / prompting for the change. I do have the lastest drivers for an AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2014, 02:13 AM
(08-11-2014 01:28 AM)mikey32230 Wrote:  Okay i made a little bit of progress. I got a replacement MT-ViKi vga switch. This one seems to do a slightly better job. When i have either the dell monitor or Sony TV hooked up it will recognize it has a generic pnp monitor. However, if i switch from my Dell monitor to the Sony TV the resolution will stay at 1280 x 1024 (75hz) instead of switching to the Sony TV native resolution of 1280 x 768. BUT, if i go to control panel > Displays > Screen resolution and click the Detect button. The Native resolution of the current display gets recognized.

Do you know anything about this? why windows isnt auto-detecting the display change?

I could use the Hot key resolution changer if need be, but im so close to an automatic resolution switch. I just don't know why windows isnt doing it. Perhaps, its still the switch not commuicating / prompting for the change. I do have the lastest drivers for an AMD Radeon HD 7500 Series.
Windows relies on the graphics driver to detect the display change, and the graphics driver relies on the DDC line to detect displays. Either the switch is not switching the DDC line properly, which is probably not the problem because that is a passive switch, or the graphics driver is not handling sudden DDC changes properly. It might not detect a new display without a physical disconnection, so I don't know what can be done about that. If the switch had three ports, I would ask you to try switching to the third unused port for a second before switching to the other monitor.
08-11-2014, 02:20 AM
(08-10-2014 12:40 PM)lureb74 Wrote:  Hi

is there an advanced guide somewhere available?

Because when I try:

- higher hz than 60hz at 1920x1080p on my monitor, I have only noisy and unstable screens

- on my projector, I get noisy and unstable screens when trying lower hz than 25hz (my target is to fit 24p) at 1920x1080i (540p interlaced).

I want to try to set different values in manual mode, so I wonder if there's a way to get the knowledge on how to set manual values WITHOUT LITTERALLY TOAST MY MONITOR AND PROJECTOR! Smile

Cheers, Lorenzo
There's no way to know what values your projector will accept and display properly when trying unsupported refresh rates. If the projector supports 24 Hz, then the "LCD standard" timing option should work. If not, you might have to use the 25/50 Hz or 30/60 Hz values. The only difference between them is the horizontal front porch, and you can switch back to the "Manual" option to change the refresh rate without affecting the values. If that still doesn't work, then the projector might not be able to handle 24 Hz.
08-11-2014, 02:33 AM
(08-11-2014 01:19 AM)purmou Wrote:  I had been searching for weeks on the solution to my problem. Nvidia + HDTV = chaos. In the Control Panel it uses the "HDTV" connector as opposed to "DVI," which would give me a clear image. My temporary solution was to just disable the nvidia driver on my computer, which worked, but then I got weird issues--my computer wouldn't go to sleep, for example. So this software SAVED MY LIFE. I'm now using my nvidia driver and this software somehow makes the control panel detect my TV as a DVI connection and doesn't run image processing anymore. Yay!

I only have one question. Every time I restart the PC, I get the processed image again and need to go to the control panel and apply the resolution manually. Is there a way to automate that?
I don't see how that can happen if it's already set to the correct resolution. That sounds like a driver bug.

The information that makes the driver think the display is an HDTV is stored in the extension block, so disabling the extension block or importing the blank-extension.dat file should make the driver treat the connection as DVI instead of HDMI, so I don't see how the processing can reset after rebooting.

Does this happen without GeForce Experience and Samsung Magician installed?
08-11-2014, 02:58 AM
(08-11-2014 02:13 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 01:28 AM)mikey32230 Wrote:  Okay i made a little bit of progress. I got a replacement MT-ViKi vga switch. This one seems to do a slightly better job. When i have either the dell monitor or Sony TV hooked up it will recognize it has a generic pnp monitor. However, if i switch from my Dell monitor to the Sony TV the resolution will stay at 1280 x 1024 (75hz) instead of switching to the Sony TV native resolution of 1280 x 768. BUT, if i go to control panel > Displays > Screen resolution and click the Detect button. The Native resolution of the current display gets recognized.

Windows relies on the graphics driver to detect the display change, and the graphics driver relies on the DDC line to detect displays. Either the switch is not switching the DDC line properly, which is probably not the problem because that is a passive switch, or the graphics driver is not handling sudden DDC changes properly. It might not detect a new display without a physical disconnection, so I don't know what can be done about that. If the switch had three ports, I would ask you to try switching to the third unused port for a second before switching to the other monitor.

The switch only has 2 ports, but it seems that i can push that switch buttons to trigger a state in which neither port is used. Still, that doesnt seem to help windows detect a resolution change.

I saw in your reply to purmou you mentioned having samsung magician uninstalled. I do have a samsung ssd with that software installed, i tried to scan through this thread to references of samsung magician, causing problems, but would that cause any problems here in my case?
08-11-2014, 03:07 AM
(08-11-2014 02:58 AM)mikey32230 Wrote:  The switch only has 2 ports, but it seems that i can push that switch buttons to trigger a state in which neither port is used. Still, that doesnt seem to help windows detect a resolution change.
Then it seems to be a problem with the way the graphics driver or video card does hotplug detection with VGA.

(08-11-2014 02:58 AM)mikey32230 Wrote:  I saw in your reply to purmou you mentioned having samsung magician uninstalled. I do have a samsung ssd with that software installed, i tried to scan through this thread to references of samsung magician, causing problems, but would that cause any problems here in my case?
That's an NVIDIA-specific bug. It doesn't affect AMD.
08-11-2014, 07:30 PM (Last edited: 08-11-2014, 07:51 PM by Nintendo Maniac 64)
You know, it might be a good idea to direct Intel GPU users to the following webpage:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029478.htm

Due to the way the first post is worded, I was under the impression that Intel graphics couldn't handle custom resolutions at all; therefore I was nearly about to spend some money on low-end Radeon GPU purely because I needed custom resolution support.
08-12-2014, 01:05 AM
Is there a way to use CRU to create custom low resolutions? Please don't harass me and ask me why, but I need to be able to create custom resolutions like 640x360, 512x288, 320x240, etc. Please help me, I've been searching the internet far and wide with no luck. However, this tool seems very promising. I am running an AMD Radeon HD 7600G on Windows 8.1.
08-12-2014, 01:08 AM (Last edited: 08-12-2014, 01:22 AM by Nintendo Maniac 64)
Unfortunately I think low resolutions are a limitation of the GPU hardware, not the software.

I'm assuming you're trying to run old games on a CRT at their original intended resolution? You may need to use an old PCI GPU in order to do that - I noticed that 320x240 was possible on an old Radeon 9600 but wasn't possible on a newer Geforce 6800GT nor an integrated Radeon 4200.

(alternatively, you could try running an emulator like DosBox with a CRT shader like those available in RetroArch)

EDIT: Yeah, I just tried on my Trinitron CRT with Radeon 6310 and I just get a black screen if I try to run a game in fullscreen at 320x240 (and for reference, the game in question did indeed support 320x240 due to said game being quite old).
08-13-2014, 12:47 PM
(08-11-2014 02:33 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-11-2014 01:19 AM)purmou Wrote:  I had been searching for weeks on the solution to my problem. Nvidia + HDTV = chaos. In the Control Panel it uses the "HDTV" connector as opposed to "DVI," which would give me a clear image. My temporary solution was to just disable the nvidia driver on my computer, which worked, but then I got weird issues--my computer wouldn't go to sleep, for example. So this software SAVED MY LIFE. I'm now using my nvidia driver and this software somehow makes the control panel detect my TV as a DVI connection and doesn't run image processing anymore. Yay!

I only have one question. Every time I restart the PC, I get the processed image again and need to go to the control panel and apply the resolution manually. Is there a way to automate that?
I don't see how that can happen if it's already set to the correct resolution. That sounds like a driver bug.

The information that makes the driver think the display is an HDTV is stored in the extension block, so disabling the extension block or importing the blank-extension.dat file should make the driver treat the connection as DVI instead of HDMI, so I don't see how the processing can reset after rebooting.

Does this happen without GeForce Experience and Samsung Magician installed?

Thanks for the speedy reply ToastyX. After rebooting again recently, the display was perfect upon startup. I guess there was a hiccup the first time I did it.

Right now, neither GeForce Experience nor Samsung Magician are installed. Neither of them were installed when I first had the issue either.

Could you clarify what the extension block is and how to disable it? I'm not entirely familiar with Nvidia, this is my first time using a computer with a GPU.

Thanks again!