Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-09-2013, 07:38 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hi All,

I have a ASUS MX279h monitor and was able to set the refresh rate form 60Hz to 74Hz. Above 74Hz there's no signal. HDMI interface was used. Any chance of getting a higher refresh rate, what do you think? I used the NVControl Panel not yet tried this app.

Should the manual adjustment of the timings help? If yes what values should I try?

The problem is htat I don't know what they mean like:
Active Pixels, Front Porch, etc....

Maybe I will really have to try the CRU. Smile

1920x1080@60Hz is the default setting just as usual.

Many thanks for the help in advance!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2013, 09:28 PM
(04-09-2013 07:38 AM)H377F13LD Wrote:  I have a ASUS MX279h monitor and was able to set the refresh rate form 60Hz to 74Hz. Above 74Hz there's no signal. HDMI interface was used. Any chance of getting a higher refresh rate, what do you think? I used the NVControl Panel not yet tried this app.

Should the manual adjustment of the timings help? If yes what values should I try?
Did you try the "LCD reduced" option in CRU? You can use the same settings with the NVIDIA control panel. Don't worry about the back porch or blanking. Those are calculated from the other values.

(04-08-2013 06:38 AM)Kanade Wrote:  However, after testing various playbacks the judder is still there. In fact, it got worse when I changed it to 72Hz...
If 72 Hz is worse, then either the monitor is skipping frames or there's a video playback issue. If the tearing test line is smooth, then it's not the monitor. Keep in mind 23.976 FPS will always be choppy unless you use SVP, but there shouldn't be judder at 71.928 Hz.

(04-08-2013 07:27 PM)Mangix Wrote:  Is there a point to decreasing the timings even further? I did some tests and it turns out that I can do 1080p75 at a 159Hz pixel clock but I have no idea if there is any benefit to doing this.
It might help at higher pixel clocks if there was a signal quality problem, but otherwise, it doesn't make a difference.
04-10-2013, 07:27 AM
(04-08-2013 10:48 PM)Kanade Wrote:  Potplayer is basically: MPC-HC + fancy skin support + more granular control over filters being use for each file container and video/audio format + more.
I'm not using it since it doesn't have skin support (even MPC-BE fails at this support) as well as there is no immediate difference in using either of these two players.
FYI, I have MPC-HC lite installed as well and with same settings as my potplayer the videos have the exact juddering for panning shots.

Its all because of my monitor's inability to support certain refresh rate.
I'm skeptical of the last statement as I've seen really badly mastered anime before. I lean towards the problem being the source content than your setup.

As for PotPlayer, last time I used it it had very low quality subtitles. One other thing is that the player itself is very complex whereas my setup with mpc-hc tries to keep everything as simple as possible. Simple means less things can go wrong.

Things to try if you believe your setup to be the issue: play around with madVR's settings. Make sure that when you are playing back your video that you are not getting dropped frames. Also play around with exclusive vs. windowed mode. There are two exclusive modes to try: old and new. Some people swear by the old exclusive mode to be the smoothest. For me, it prevents the annoying Windows 7/8 issue where madVR will switch to 59.94Hz where it was previously at 60Hz which happens with the new mode.

Anyway, this is getting way too off-topic here.
04-10-2013, 11:27 AM
@ToastyX
Actually, it didn't make it worse. In fact, it didn't do anything as I can still see the judder.
Now, with that being said is creating custom resolution out of option for me? Or is there something else I can try?

@Mangix
I have both players installed with exact same settings. Both shows the same results with windowed/exclusive.

Really, I don't know what to do here...

I'm actually surprised that I was able to watch this juddering anime for over a year without getting annoyed until recently.
04-10-2013, 04:13 PM
If you can set 72 Hz, then the custom resolution is working. You can check the info page in the monitor's menu to see what refresh rate it's receiving.

If the tearing test line is smooth, then the monitor is handling the refresh rate properly. If the test is fine but videos still have judder, then either there's a video playback issue with your setup, or there's a problem with the source content itself.
04-11-2013, 03:36 AM
(04-10-2013 04:13 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  If you can set 72 Hz, then the custom resolution is working. You can check the info page in the monitor's menu to see what refresh rate it's receiving.

If the tearing test line is smooth, then the monitor is handling the refresh rate properly. If the test is fine but videos still have judder, then either there's a video playback issue with your setup, or there's a problem with the source content itself.

Alright, since CRU is working fine it seems like there is something wrong with my playback setups then.

Thank you for all the help, really appreciate it.
04-16-2013, 05:14 PM (Last edited: 04-16-2013, 05:17 PM by johnboy)
Will this work for my USB Lenovo LT1421 monitor? It uses a Displaylink driver. It only gives me a 1366x768 resolution I want to use 1600x900.

Thanks,
John
04-16-2013, 09:37 PM
Could anyone help me set up a detailed resolution on a 1920x1200 monitor to output 1920x1080?
My set-up is a bit complicated but if you need to know why I can't just change my resolution already, I'm plugged into an Avermedia Live Gamer capture card, which does not support 1920x1200 monitors, and sets my default highest resolution to 1440x900.

So far I have messed with CRU and been able to get my resolution to 1920x1200 but I would like to have the 1920x1080 with bordered top and bottom.

Standard resolution from CRU doesn't give me the border and stretches out the screen.

Do any other users know how to properly set up a Detailed Resolution for outputting 1920x1080 on a 1920x1200 screen? (front porch, sync width, and back porch parameters)
04-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Black bars can't be added with custom resolutions. The monitor has to add them. Many monitors have full/aspect/centered scaling options for this purpose. If yours doesn't, there's nothing you can do to stop it from stretching other than to use a different monitor that has scaling options.

Use "Automatic - LCD standard" and put in 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz to get the industry-standard 1080p timing. Make sure GPU scaling is disabled so it doesn't send 1920x1080 stretched to 1920x1200.

(04-16-2013 05:14 PM)johnboy Wrote:  Will this work for my USB Lenovo LT1421 monitor? It uses a Displaylink driver. It only gives me a 1366x768 resolution I want to use 1600x900.
That depends on whether the driver supports EDID overrides. I haven't played with USB monitors, so I don't know if it will work.
04-26-2013, 08:14 AM (Last edited: 04-26-2013, 08:17 AM by Shenanigans)
Hello all.

First of all thank you ToastyX for this great tool! It has improved my refresh rate for my monitor up until my last graphics card update.
I have a ati hd 6850 video card and an LG W2252TQ monitor.

I used to have an ati HD4850 video card up untill 3 days ago, and a few months back I discovered CRU and was able to set my monitor for 1680x1050 and 75hz refresh rate. It worked swell, up until I got the new video card a few days ago.

So after I changed video cards, I uninstalled the video card drivers, and installed the newest drivers for the HD6850.

Problem is that every time I add custom resolutions with CRU, after reboot, the monitor does not show up in device manager, the "my digital flat panels" option dissapears from AMD control center, and my resolution is just stuck cannot change it(usually at 1680x1050 because this is what I usually try adding), and the refresh rate is still either 60, or in some cases nothing is displayed there. Also, if I open CRU the monitor is no longer displayed as active, as it was before adding the resolutions and rebooting. I want to add that this happens for any custom resolution I try to add with CRU.

I use a single link DVI cable, and the pixel clock for any resolutions I chose never exceeded 160mhz.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!