Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-03-2015, 06:01 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-31-2015 03:54 PM)francescobabbaro Wrote:  Hi, I'm trying to solve the bug of GTA V about the refresh rate of 1080p locked at 59 hz.
I've tried to set only one detailed resolution (1920x1080p, both 60.000 hz and 59.94 hz, LCD standard) deleting all other resolutions, standard ones included. I've tried to set only one standard resolution (1920x1080p, 60 hz) deleting all other, detailed included. I've tried to set both standard and detailed resolutions setting as previous said, but nothing works. (Rebooted system after any change). Can you help me, please? I'm becoming crazy! Thanks a lot. (Sorry for my bad English).
(Amd video card, 15.10 beta drivers.).
AMD's driver automatically adds 59 Hz as an alias of 60 Hz for TV resolutions like 1920x1080. I haven't found a way around that, but that shouldn't matter because they're the same refresh rate.

If the game is stuttering at 59 Hz, then it's broken. Games aren't supposed to rely on the listed refresh rate to determine the frame rate, and vsync should automatically synchronize with the actual refresh rate.

Are you using vsync? If the game's vsync is causing stuttering, disable vsync in the game and enable it through the driver instead. CCC allows you to set options for individual games under Gaming > 3D Application Settings.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2015, 12:15 AM
(11-03-2015 06:01 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-31-2015 03:54 PM)francescobabbaro Wrote:  Hi, I'm trying to solve the bug of GTA V about the refresh rate of 1080p locked at 59 hz.
I've tried to set only one detailed resolution (1920x1080p, both 60.000 hz and 59.94 hz, LCD standard) deleting all other resolutions, standard ones included. I've tried to set only one standard resolution (1920x1080p, 60 hz) deleting all other, detailed included. I've tried to set both standard and detailed resolutions setting as previous said, but nothing works. (Rebooted system after any change). Can you help me, please? I'm becoming crazy! Thanks a lot. (Sorry for my bad English).
(Amd video card, 15.10 beta drivers.).
AMD's driver automatically adds 59 Hz as an alias of 60 Hz for TV resolutions like 1920x1080. I haven't found a way around that, but that shouldn't matter because they're the same refresh rate.

If the game is stuttering at 59 Hz, then it's broken. Games aren't supposed to rely on the listed refresh rate to determine the frame rate, and vsync should automatically synchronize with the actual refresh rate.

Are you using vsync? If the game's vsync is causing stuttering, disable vsync in the game and enable it through the driver instead. CCC allows you to set options for individual games under Gaming > 3D Application Settings.

I don't think any game in windows 7 I've ever seen uses the AMD CCC setting for vsync. Maybe it works for games that don't have a vsync setting but I never got this to work in any game. In windows XP, the AMD CCC setting always applied.
11-04-2015, 02:23 AM
(11-04-2015 12:15 AM)falkentyne Wrote:  I don't think any game in windows 7 I've ever seen uses the AMD CCC setting for vsync. Maybe it works for games that don't have a vsync setting but I never got this to work in any game. In windows XP, the AMD CCC setting always applied.
Damn it. Why is everything broken? Maybe try RadeonPro instead.
11-04-2015, 07:21 AM (Last edited: 11-04-2015, 07:38 AM by Fidelity)
Hey guys, i'm using a BenQ XL2430T with a dual-link DVI and was able to reach with manual timings:

1920x1080 @ 129Hz

Horizontal / Vertical
Front porch: 88 / 4
Sync width: 44 / 5
Total Pixels: 2165 / 1500
Sync Polarity: + / +

Refresh Rate: 193.50kHz / Pixel Clock: 418.93MHz

Should i use +/- for the polarity or there's no problem in keeping it +/+?

Checking by myself, i noticed that the automatic timings in the LCD - standard preset for 144Hz give a refresh rate of 166.610kHz, and if i change from 144 to 165.500Hz it goes up to 193.471kHz.. So what it means?
The monitor says it's at 129hz but it is working like a 165hz?

I'm new to the forum so i don't know how to post prints, but i have a link on imgur: http://imgur.com/bsP9P7Z

Windows 10 Pro, GTX 750 with driver 358.50. I've installed the patch for the driver in the past, but formated the computer many times after it, now i'm completely stock, with no mods to the original driver from nvidia.
Sorry for my bad english in case i made any mistake!
11-04-2015, 11:37 AM (Last edited: 11-04-2015, 11:39 AM by falkentyne)
(11-04-2015 07:21 AM)Fidelity Wrote:  Hey guys, i'm using a BenQ XL2430T with a dual-link DVI and was able to reach with manual timings:

1920x1080 @ 129Hz

Horizontal / Vertical
Front porch: 88 / 4
Sync width: 44 / 5
Total Pixels: 2165 / 1500
Sync Polarity: + / +

Refresh Rate: 193.50kHz / Pixel Clock: 418.93MHz

Should i use +/- for the polarity or there's no problem in keeping it +/+?

Checking by myself, i noticed that the automatic timings in the LCD - standard preset for 144Hz give a refresh rate of 166.610kHz, and if i change from 144 to 165.500Hz it goes up to 193.471kHz.. So what it means?
The monitor says it's at 129hz but it is working like a 165hz?

I'm new to the forum so i don't know how to post prints, but i have a link on imgur: http://imgur.com/bsP9P7Z

Windows 10 Pro, GTX 750 with driver 358.50. I've installed the patch for the driver in the past, but formated the computer many times after it, now i'm completely stock, with no mods to the original driver from nvidia.
Sorry for my bad english in case i made any mistake!

Hi,
You are using the wrong timings.
You are using the 60hz timings for 100-130hz; this must not be done.
These timings may or will cause image corruption because the scaler is being pushed too hard when you are using VT tweaks. Its fine without VT tweak but you can check "LCD standard" first to see your porch, sync and HT are too high.

For 100hz and higher, change 88/4 to 48/3 for front porch.
Change 44/5 to 32/5 for sync width
change horizontal total to 2080.
Vertical total is fine if you want to use VT tweak.

LCD reduced is for refresh rates higher than 129hz if you get black screen out of range error, you must use VT 1098 from 130 hz - 145 hz. You can not use "VT tweak" at 130hz+. Firmware will not allow it.

Toastyx can explain why 100hz/120hz don't use 88,4 and 44,5 and 2200 HT. If you check in CRU with "LCD standard" and enter 60hz you will see the timings. If you change 60hz to 100hz, you will see porch, sync and HT values change to lower.

This will also lower the pixel clock too. 125hz with VT 1500 should be around 396 MHz pixel clock with (48,3) front porch, and (32,5) sync width and (2080) HT.

Don't worry about polarity and don't change kHz manually. this is set by combination of other values.
11-04-2015, 04:03 PM
(05-06-2015 01:27 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  It adjusts the timing parameters to reduce the pixel clock when trying higher refresh rates. It's mostly useful for keeping 1920x1080 @ 72-77 Hz under 165 MHz, 1920x1080 @ 144 Hz under 330 MHz, and for reducing the pixel clock at 2560x1440 @ 100+ Hz with the Catleap/Tempest/QNIX/X-Star monitors.

It also uses CVT-RB for TV resolutions, but it won't do that at 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz because the pixel clock is so high. I might end up adding an "LCD native" option since the CEA timing parameters for TV resolutions are the same for 30/60/120 Hz, and then "LCD standard" can use CVT-RB for 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz without affecting the "LCD reduced" option.

Are you able to share the formula?
11-05-2015, 04:49 AM (Last edited: 11-05-2015, 05:18 AM by Fidelity)
Quote:Hi,
These timings may or will cause image corruption because the scaler is being pushed too hard when you are using VT tweaks. Its fine without VT tweak but you can check "LCD standard" first to see your porch, sync and HT are too high.

LCD reduced is for refresh rates higher than 129hz if you get black screen out of range error, you must use VT 1098 from 130 hz - 145 hz. You can not use "VT tweak" at 130hz+. Firmware will not allow it.

Toastyx can explain why 100hz/120hz don't use 88,4 and 44,5 and 2200 HT. If you check in CRU with "LCD standard" and enter 60hz you will see the timings. If you change 60hz to 100hz, you will see porch, sync and HT values change to lower.

This will also lower the pixel clock too. 125hz with VT 1500 should be around 396 MHz pixel clock with (48,3) front porch, and (32,5) sync width and (2080) HT.

Don't worry about polarity and don't change kHz manually. this is set by combination of other values.

Yeah, i didn't notice that my timings were according to the LCD Native preset. About the HT, does 2160 give me any benefit over 2080? Like a little reduction in blur, or something like the VT tweak? Changed the timings and it looks almost fine. Using 2080 HT i can see horizontal lines on the screen, if i up it to 2160 it goes away, that's why i set it that way, even with the correct timings they appear... Any problem to keep it at 2160? I only notice artifacts at 2175+ so i bumped down to 2160 for safety, but i don't actually know if it's safe or not, thanks for the help!
11-05-2015, 08:28 AM (Last edited: 11-05-2015, 09:47 AM by falkentyne)
(11-05-2015 04:49 AM)Fidelity Wrote:  
Quote:Hi,

Yeah, i didn't notice that my timings were according to the LCD Native preset. About the HT, does 2160 give me any benefit over 2080? Like a little reduction in blur, or something like the VT tweak? Changed the timings and it looks almost fine. Using 2080 HT i can see horizontal lines on the screen, if i up it to 2160 it goes away, that's why i set it that way, even with the correct timings they appear... Any problem to keep it at 2160? I only notice artifacts at 2175+ so i bumped down to 2160 for safety, but i don't actually know if it's safe or not, thanks for the help!

Increasing the HT has NO benefit whatsoever except putting extra pressure on the scaler. I'm not sure if it will affect certain Vertical totals causing frameskipping or not; if you want I can test that for you. Usually if a certain vertical total causes frameskipping (you can see it EASILY with blur reduction on, in Test UFO->Alien invasion....if you see the image "jump" repeatedly or every several seconds its frameskipping), then try another VT in the range of 1497-1502.

I'm not sure if HT affects that or not. However raising the HT does raise the pixel clock so its not certain what's causing what. NO effect on blur reduction.
Usually there's no 'danger' as far as I know....if it has artifacts then its too high. But usually you should keep the HT at default, and lower it if you want a lower pixel clock.

The only thing that makes the "overdrive" better is by turning on blur reduction first and then setting "AMA" to high AFTER enabling blur reduction. On XL2411Z and XL2420Z (and MAYBE XL2430T, u can test for urself ok?), it lowers the overdrive inverse ghosting by about 10%. On XL2720Z, it lowers it by a drastic 50% (much better), but you have to drop the contrast lower to avoid too much normal ghosting.

*edit* ok changing HT does NOT affect frameskipping is a certain VT frameskips (e.g. VT 1502 at 85hz refresh rate, VT 1501 is perfect on XL2720Z).
11-06-2015, 06:55 AM (Last edited: 11-06-2015, 07:00 AM by Fidelity)
Quote:Increasing the HT has NO benefit whatsoever except putting extra pressure on the scaler. I'm not sure if it will affect certain Vertical totals causing frameskipping or not; if you want I can test that for you. Usually if a certain vertical total causes frameskipping (you can see it EASILY with blur reduction on, in Test UFO->Alien invasion....if you see the image "jump" repeatedly or every several seconds its frameskipping), then try another VT in the range of 1497-1502.

I'm not sure if HT affects that or not. However raising the HT does raise the pixel clock so its not certain what's causing what. NO effect on blur reduction.
Usually there's no 'danger' as far as I know....if it has artifacts then its too high. But usually you should keep the HT at default, and lower it if you want a lower pixel clock.

The only thing that makes the "overdrive" better is by turning on blur reduction first and then setting "AMA" to high AFTER enabling blur reduction. On XL2411Z and XL2420Z (and MAYBE XL2430T, u can test for urself ok?), it lowers the overdrive inverse ghosting by about 10%. On XL2720Z, it lowers it by a drastic 50% (much better), but you have to drop the contrast lower to avoid too much normal ghosting.

*edit* ok changing HT does NOT affect frameskipping is a certain VT frameskips (e.g. VT 1502 at 85hz refresh rate, VT 1501 is perfect on XL2720Z).

I did that test and didn't notice any frameskipping, it's all smooth. I don't really know how to explain this, at VT 1502 and with blur reduction ON, the image looks so clear that you can actually see the individual pixels and the lines they are in, i play CS:GO and it's easy to notice when you look at a smoke grenade or looking at a piece of skin in movies, i think it's related to the pixel clock, because when it goes down it seems to disappear, but the brightness also goes down so i'm not really sure. *thinking about it, it looks like when you go near the tv and see all the pixels crammed in there* I sit at 3 to 4 inches from the screen and it's clearly visible when watching movies or playing CS. More ↑↑↑ HT, Less ↓↓↓ effect. My settings on the monitor:

Blur reduction(ON) - Strobe Duty: 15 (Max is 25/ 0~25)
Strobe Phase: 0 (I can reach 49 before the monitor blacks out)
Black eQualizer: 0
Color Vibrance: 9
Low Blue Light: 0
Instant Mode: On
Auto game mode: Off
-----------------------------
Picture Mode: Standard
Brightness: 100
Contrast: 52
Sharpness: 5
Gamma: 5
Color temp: R:98 / G:100 / B:99
AMA: High

Like i said, using 2080 i notice it very easily and the more i go up in the HT the less i can see. If you know anything about it, let me know! Thanks for all the help!
11-06-2015, 07:47 AM (Last edited: 11-06-2015, 08:24 AM by falkentyne)
(11-06-2015 06:55 AM)Fidelity Wrote:  
Quote:Increasing the HT has NO benefit whatsoever except putting extra pressure on the scaler. I'm not sure if it will affect certain Vertical totals causing frameskipping or not; if you want I can test that for you. Usually if a certain vertical total causes frameskipping (you can see it EASILY with blur reduction on, in Test UFO->Alien invasion....if you see the image "jump" repeatedly or every several seconds its frameskipping), then try another VT in the range of 1497-1502.

I did that test and didn't notice any frameskipping, it's all smooth. I don't really know how to explain this, at VT 1502 and with blur reduction ON, the image looks so clear that you can actually see the individual pixels and the lines they are in, i play CS:GO and it's easy to notice when you look at a smoke grenade or looking at a piece of skin in movies, i think it's related to the pixel clock, because when it goes down it seems to disappear, but the brightness also goes down so i'm not really sure. *thinking about it, it looks like when you go near the tv and see all the pixels crammed in there* I sit at 3 to 4 inches from the screen and it's clearly visible when watching movies or playing CS. More ↑↑↑ HT, Less ↓↓↓ effect. My settings on the monitor:

Blur reduction(ON) - Strobe Duty: 15 (Max is 25/ 0~25)
Strobe Phase: 0 (I can reach 49 before the monitor blacks out)
Black eQualizer: 0
Color Vibrance: 9
Low Blue Light: 0
Instant Mode: On
Auto game mode: Off
-----------------------------
Picture Mode: Standard
Brightness: 100
Contrast: 52
Sharpness: 5
Gamma: 5
Color temp: R:98 / G:100 / B:99
AMA: High

Like i said, using 2080 i notice it very easily and the more i go up in the HT the less i can see. If you know anything about it, let me know! Thanks for all the help!

Hi,
You sort of contradicted yourself in your last post. First you said "the higher the pixel clock, the more "pixels" you can see on the screen (is this true?).

Then you said "More HT, less effect". I don't understand what this means. This sounds like you just said the exact opposite of what I wrote in the above sentence.

When you use the VT tweak, look on windows at a GREY background. Aida64 has a grey background image on its monitor test but the free version has an annoying watermark. You can try using the GREEN test on Eizomonitor test.....

http://www.eizo.be/support/monitortest.html

When you increase the HT do you notice a scanlines type effect on the all green background in the eizo test? Is this what you are describing?

Are you saying you LIKE having a high HT over a 2080 HT, with a VT 1502??

I never noticed any sort of...um....."seeing pixels clearer" like you said. I only know that if the pixel clock gets too high, you get image corruption (shimmering/flickering pixels).

is *THIS* the effect you are seeing?
[Image: Xtmd1Yu.jpg]

(this is 125hz, VT 1497, pixel clock 389.22 (displayport).
you can see a scanlines effect. Notice every few horizontal rows, a line of pixels is brighter than the ones around it?)

Here is 120hz (120.5hz actually, default VT (1144)).
Notice everything looks more even and any scanlines effect of alternating lighter pixel rows is almost completely gone?

[Image: HD69EUj.jpg]