Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
11-20-2015, 05:20 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(11-20-2015 08:53 AM)Spec-Chum Wrote:  Here's the original EDID bin file:
http://1drv.ms/1l90UJ1
That's a .dat file with the extension block missing. I need the full EDID as a .bin file. I want to see if there's anything in the extension block that might be needed.

(11-20-2015 01:47 PM)Spec-Chum Wrote:  Does sound like a similar thing, yeah. I'm not an expert by any means but it's almost like CRU is creating a non-standard EDID so it's falling back onto a failsafe.
The EDID is completely standard. You can export it and open it with any EDID editor to check. Using range limits to control FreeSync is something AMD came up with.

(11-20-2015 08:53 AM)Spec-Chum Wrote:  Just importing the original .dat file into CRU and not touching it also disables FreeSync lol
I get the feeling it's because CRU defines range limits with GTF supported while your monitor does not. If that's the case, I will have a fix tomorrow.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-20-2015, 05:57 PM (Last edited: 11-20-2015, 06:06 PM by Spec-Chum)
(11-20-2015 05:20 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-20-2015 08:53 AM)Spec-Chum Wrote:  Here's the original EDID bin file:
http://1drv.ms/1l90UJ1
That's a .dat file with the extension block missing. I need the full EDID as a .bin file. I want to see if there's anything in the extension block that might be needed.

(11-20-2015 01:47 PM)Spec-Chum Wrote:  Does sound like a similar thing, yeah. I'm not an expert by any means but it's almost like CRU is creating a non-standard EDID so it's falling back onto a failsafe.
The EDID is completely standard. You can export it and open it with any EDID editor to check. Using range limits to control FreeSync is something AMD came up with.

(11-20-2015 08:53 AM)Spec-Chum Wrote:  Just importing the original .dat file into CRU and not touching it also disables FreeSync lol
I get the feeling it's because CRU defines range limits with GTF supported while your monitor does not. If that's the case, I will have a fix tomorrow.

Oops, sorry.

I think I've done this one right? https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FF...file%2cbin

Let me know what you need me to test...

Is the GTF thing something I can edit out manually?

Another thing as well, Phoenix doesn't like the EDID created for this monitor, always says it's corrupted, same with one saved via CRU.
11-20-2015, 06:41 PM
Bug RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
I'm having the same issue as Spec-Chum with my Asus MG279Q and R9 290. Once I edited the FreeSync range, the FreeSync option disappears from Catalyst Control Center.
11-21-2015, 03:38 AM
(11-20-2015 06:41 PM)RichardD Wrote:  I'm having the same issue as Spec-Chum with my Asus MG279Q and R9 290. Once I edited the FreeSync range, the FreeSync option disappears from Catalyst Control Center.
Try this: cru-1.2.4.zip
11-21-2015, 04:10 AM
(11-20-2015 05:57 PM)Spec-Chum Wrote:  I think I've done this one right? https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=FF...file%2cbin
That's still missing the extension block. Did you use MonInfo? http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

(11-20-2015 05:57 PM)Spec-Chum Wrote:  Let me know what you need me to test...
Try this: cru-1.2.4.zip

(11-20-2015 05:57 PM)Spec-Chum Wrote:  Is the GTF thing something I can edit out manually?
Yes, but not with Phoenix. It defines range limits the same way, and the option your monitor uses doesn't exist with EDID version 1.3.

(11-20-2015 05:57 PM)Spec-Chum Wrote:  Another thing as well, Phoenix doesn't like the EDID created for this monitor, always says it's corrupted, same with one saved via CRU.
Does it say it's corrupted or does it say it's not Version 1 Revision 3? Phoenix only supports version 1.3, while DisplayPort monitors use version 1.4, so it's saying certain values may be reported incorrectly.

AW EDID Editor supports version 1.4: http://www.analogway.com/en/products/sof...id-editor/
11-21-2015, 09:37 AM (Last edited: 11-21-2015, 10:11 AM by Spec-Chum)
I used MonInfo yes, not sure why it didn't work properly.

1.2.4 works in that FreeSync is available now! However, 85hz is now saying out of range lol

Ah, quick update, keeping the range at 30-75hz makes 85hz work again and it's still saying freesync is available, but only up to 75hz I assume.

It doesn't seem to like the upper range being changed. Gives me an out of range error on 85hz.

Just tested, FreeSync works as normal when you select 75hz refresh rate but as soon as you select 85hz it turns off, even though it shows as enabled in CCC.

I was kinda hoping it'd work up to 75hz but alas, no, monitor shows mode as "normal" instead of "FreeSync".

OK, keeping the range 30-85hz and selecting a 75hz refresh rate makes FreeSync work as expected, obviously only up to 75 hz.

Looks like it doesn't like 85hz with FreeSync enabled, gives out of range error.
11-21-2015, 10:43 AM
(11-21-2015 09:37 AM)Spec-Chum Wrote:  I used MonInfo yes, not sure why it didn't work properly.

1.2.4 works in that FreeSync is available now! However, 85hz is now saying out of range lol

Ah, quick update, keeping the range at 30-75hz makes 85hz work again and it's still saying freesync is available, but only up to 75hz I assume.

It doesn't seem to like the upper range being changed. Gives me an out of range error on 85hz.

Just tested, FreeSync works as normal when you select 75hz refresh rate but as soon as you select 85hz it turns off, even though it shows as enabled in CCC.

I was kinda hoping it'd work up to 75hz but alas, no, monitor shows mode as "normal" instead of "FreeSync".

OK, keeping the range 30-85hz and selecting a 75hz refresh rate makes FreeSync work as expected, obviously only up to 75 hz.

Looks like it doesn't like 85hz with FreeSync enabled, gives out of range error.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but in the Eizo Foris FS2735 manual, there are two refresh rates for freesync, depending on if you choose high or low range. And if you choose one range, certain refresh rates are "not available"

http://www.eizoglobal.com/products/foris...html#tab03

Look in the manual.
11-22-2015, 10:13 AM
Hi guys, I'm curious if you could troubleshoot what issues I've come upon with my graphics card or just ensure me that what I'm trying to do is not possible.
I have an ASUS R7250-1GD5 card that has a single-link DVI-D slot. I currently have a 144hz monitor running 60hz through the DVI cable it came with.
From what I've done I'm conflicted on whether I could ever reach a higher refresh rate or whether I'll just need to upgrade it. I'm lead to believe I can still find a work around with help.
I've patched the pixel clock and without even having to use the CRU at all I can select the 100,120,144hz options that were previously not there but with trouble. One being that 144hz is not compatible whatsoever which I was not necessarily worried about because 120hz worked alright. Given that my monitor itself will prompt an "incorrect cable" error and repeatably do so when you exit it with the monitor button. BTW I'm trying to figure this out to play CS:GO on so that error message on my monitor in itself is the biggest problem because I can choose 120hz with the pixel clock patched and change it on my CS and achieve the refresh rate I'd desire but cannot actually commit to playing because of the pop-up.
Lastly if the above can be solved I'm curious what I would need to use within CRU to achieve maximum performance. I haven't consistently played the game at 120hz enough with the error message to determine if there are any true stutters or freezes or whatever you would to call it while overclocked or if its my GFX itself. BTW my GFX itself runs well enough that I can achieve 150+ frames consistently to run the desired refresh rates.
I'm very curious if you have any solutions or if I can now just upgrade my system given your information, thanks so much guys.
11-23-2015, 06:31 PM
(11-22-2015 10:13 AM)Marsh Wrote:  I've patched the pixel clock and without even having to use the CRU at all I can select the 100,120,144hz options that were previously not there but with trouble. One being that 144hz is not compatible whatsoever which I was not necessarily worried about because 120hz worked alright. Given that my monitor itself will prompt an "incorrect cable" error and repeatably do so when you exit it with the monitor button.
If you can't dismiss the message, then there's nothing you can do. The monitor is expecting a dual-link signal at 120 Hz, but you're sending it a single-link signal by using the patch. If you don't mind using a lower resolution, you can try adding 1440x810 @ 120 Hz. That's just under 165 MHz pixel clock with the "LCD standard" timing option.

(11-22-2015 10:13 AM)Marsh Wrote:  Lastly if the above can be solved I'm curious what I would need to use within CRU to achieve maximum performance. I haven't consistently played the game at 120hz enough with the error message to determine if there are any true stutters or freezes or whatever you would to call it while overclocked or if its my GFX itself. BTW my GFX itself runs well enough that I can achieve 150+ frames consistently to run the desired refresh rates.
Monitors don't stutter or freeze. Some monitors skip frames at anything other than 60 Hz, but that wouldn't apply to a 120 Hz monitor.
11-23-2015, 08:20 PM
(11-23-2015 06:31 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(11-22-2015 10:13 AM)Marsh Wrote:  I've patched the pixel clock and without even having to use the CRU at all I can select the 100,120,144hz options that were previously not there but with trouble. One being that 144hz is not compatible whatsoever which I was not necessarily worried about because 120hz worked alright. Given that my monitor itself will prompt an "incorrect cable" error and repeatably do so when you exit it with the monitor button.
If you can't dismiss the message, then there's nothing you can do. The monitor is expecting a dual-link signal at 120 Hz, but you're sending it a single-link signal by using the patch. If you don't mind using a lower resolution, you can try adding 1440x810 @ 120 Hz. That's just under 165 MHz pixel clock with the "LCD standard" timing option.

(11-22-2015 10:13 AM)Marsh Wrote:  Lastly if the above can be solved I'm curious what I would need to use within CRU to achieve maximum performance. I haven't consistently played the game at 120hz enough with the error message to determine if there are any true stutters or freezes or whatever you would to call it while overclocked or if its my GFX itself. BTW my GFX itself runs well enough that I can achieve 150+ frames consistently to run the desired refresh rates.
Monitors don't stutter or freeze. Some monitors skip frames at anything other than 60 Hz, but that wouldn't apply to a 120 Hz monitor.

Not being able to close the cable error is really bizarre on an Asus monitor.
The Asus VG248QE gives the "incorrect cable" error also if you use the pixel clock patcher and patch the single link limits, and you use 1920x1080@85hz, but you can just press "Exit" and enter the OSD and the error won't appear again until you change resolutions.