Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
07-07-2016, 04:00 AM (Last edited: 07-07-2016, 04:02 AM by Tao)
RE: Strobelight - LightBoost Utility for AMD/ATI and NVIDIA
(07-06-2016 10:07 PM)GodderDam Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 06:54 PM)Tao Wrote:  Greetings,

I have moved to Windows 10 and have a GTX 780 and an Asus VG278H.

I currently am running my sound through HDMI to an AV receiver. *This ends up being a two monitor setup since I need to use the dual link DVI for 3D.

When I install strobelight, it disables the audio over HDMI on my video card. Video over HDMI works fine. I get it back when I uninstall strobelight (reset the display).

Is there a work around or could a patch be implemented?

Also note that Strobelight.exe needs to be manually added to the startup in Win 10, but the strobelight does start up automatically even without the exe running.

I'm not the most acknowledged tech person here, but isn't hdmi cables somewhat limited in bandwidth matters? Maybe it won't support strobelight + audio. Have you tried Dual DVI cables or Display Port? They have far more bandwidth. DVI being only for video, DP for both video and audio.

The strobe light is going through the DVI connection. To clarify: I only have one monitor, but Windows assumes a video connection when using HDMI. You have to have both audio and video, so I get a 'ghost' monitor in my display setup. Either way, the resolution set to go through the HDMI connection is 1280x720x60hz. Nothing too crazy, and it is a 4k cable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2016, 04:48 AM
(07-06-2016 06:54 PM)Tao Wrote:  I currently am running my sound through HDMI to an AV receiver. *This ends up being a two monitor setup since I need to use the dual link DVI for 3D.

When I install strobelight, it disables the audio over HDMI on my video card. Video over HDMI works fine. I get it back when I uninstall strobelight (reset the display).

To simplify setting up multiple monitors, the setup program groups monitors with the same name. In the setup program, are both connections grouped as one monitor "(2 active)" or are they listed separately? If both connections are grouped together, you'll need to use CRU to edit the configurations separately. The easiest thing to do would be to run CRU with just the dual-link DVI connected, which should show as "(active)" in CRU. Then delete all the non-active monitor entries and run restart.exe. That will reset everything except the dual-link DVI connection, which will hopefully restore the audio with the HDMI connection.
07-07-2016, 04:56 AM
(07-06-2016 04:39 PM)GodderDam Wrote:  Now I know I can try to adjust brightness and color in NVCP, OK, but my question is:
Can I run LB in my VG248QE @ 60hz?
The VG248QE can't strobe at 60 Hz.
07-07-2016, 02:08 PM
(07-07-2016 04:48 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 06:54 PM)Tao Wrote:  I currently am running my sound through HDMI to an AV receiver. *This ends up being a two monitor setup since I need to use the dual link DVI for 3D.

To simplify setting up multiple monitors, the setup program groups monitors with the same name. In the setup program, are both connections grouped as one monitor "(2 active)" or are they listed separately? If both connections are grouped together, you'll need to use CRU to edit the configurations separately. The easiest thing to do would be to run CRU with just the dual-link DVI connected, which should show as "(active)" in CRU. Then delete all the non-active monitor entries and run restart.exe. That will reset everything except the dual-link DVI connection, which will hopefully restore the audio with the HDMI connection.

What is CRU? The solution I understand, I just don't know what this program is.

Windows sees the same monitor, but assumes they are two separate ones that are identical models.

-I run the vg278h on DVI
-I also have it connected to the AV receiver via HDMI (for watching TV). However with video pass through, the computer sees it again behind the receiver.

It is a weird situation, but I am stuck with a second ghost monitor whether or not I have it connected to the receiver (if unplugged, it lists the receiver model as the display device).

Anyway I will try what you suggest. I just need to know what CRU is first.

Thanks.
07-10-2016, 04:19 PM
(07-07-2016 02:08 PM)Tao Wrote:  What is CRU? The solution I understand, I just don't know what this program is.
CRU is here on this site: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-14-2016, 08:39 AM
Hi ToastyX! Just wanna say thanks for the great program!

I'm using BenQ XL2411T and it has helped me so much.

And just a quick question, when using strobelight beta4, do we have to play games in fullscreen mode? or can we play in windowed borderless? does it have any effect in any way? Because I just had this feeling my monitor isn't strobed when i go fullscreen when playing games..
07-14-2016, 04:16 PM
(07-14-2016 08:39 AM)VolkFrost Wrote:  And just a quick question, when using strobelight beta4, do we have to play games in fullscreen mode? or can we play in windowed borderless? does it have any effect in any way? Because I just had this feeling my monitor isn't strobed when i go fullscreen when playing games..
It doesn't matter as long as the monitor is running at the correct refresh rate. The monitor should tell you in the OSD whether or not it's running in 3D mode.

If the game doesn't let you set the refresh rate and it doesn't use the desktop refresh rate, then running it in a full-screen borderless window is one way around that.
07-15-2016, 05:56 AM
please help - I used this thing and now my second monitor doesn't work - keeps saying no signal I change no setting other then using this utility - I configured it only for the asus monitor I have I also have a Gateway FHD monitor - Please advise - I cant get a picture to my second monitor now!!! I uninstalled the app- tried reinstalling it and setting up different refresh rates for my second monitor hopin that would fix it all to no avail!!!!
07-15-2016, 02:16 PM
(07-15-2016 05:56 AM)voltz420 Wrote:  please help - I used this thing and now my second monitor doesn't work - keeps saying no signal I change no setting other then using this utility - I configured it only for the asus monitor I have I also have a Gateway FHD monitor - Please advise - I cant get a picture to my second monitor now!!! I uninstalled the app- tried reinstalling it and setting up different refresh rates for my second monitor hopin that would fix it all to no avail!!!!
I don't see how that could happen. The setup program should not affect other monitors, and "Reset this display (uninstall)" removes all changes for the monitor. You can verify this with CRU.

You should not install refresh rates on the second monitor because they won't be compatible except for 60 Hz. Make sure you reset the second monitor and reboot before doing anything else.

What video card do you have? Is the second monitor detected and enabled? Check the Windows display settings or press Win+P and make sure the monitors are set to extend.

If that doesn't work, reinstall the video driver after using DDU: http://www.wagnardmobile.com/?q=display-...aller-ddu-
07-16-2016, 07:42 AM
Hi ToastyX,

Love your utility and have been using it with my ASUS VG248QE for a couple years now. Recently I've bought an HTC Vive and I noticed that my GPU, a 980TI, is not downclocking like it normally does.

I've run DDU and done a clean install and it downclocks fine. But when I install the Strobelight refresh rates, it does not downclock but stays pegged at 1100 MHz. Using the latest NVIDIA drivers (368.81) and have tried playing with power settings to no avail. Any advice?

Thanks.