Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-09-2016, 08:14 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(10-09-2016 05:03 PM)Globespy Wrote:  F8 didn't work and with current UEFI BIOS on new motherboards it's no longer possible to boot into safe mode when the OS is on a SSD (as in my case). The only option is to use a Windows recovery drive (thankfully I had one) or do a fresh install of Windows.
I've never heard of this. If you shut off the computer twice without shutting down properly, Windows will give you recovery options that you can use to boot into safe mode: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1013074/

(10-09-2016 05:03 PM)Globespy Wrote:  I'm assuming of you have 64 bit windows you use restart64.exe?
It doesn't matter. Running restart.exe on a 64-bit system will just call restart64.exe.

(10-09-2016 05:03 PM)Globespy Wrote:  I don't think my HDTV can do any custom resolutions, I don't think I'll try anything over its native 120hz. I didn't understand the Nvidia block stuff? In that section it was blank but the box said I had 123 blocks available. I wish there was a video 'how-to' with Nvidia cards and HDTV monitors. That would be really helpful.
You've overthinking this. Just import one of the hdmi.dat files. That takes care of everything.

NVIDIA requires a custom extension block because it doesn't support default extension blocks. There doesn't have to be anything in the custom extension block, but you'll want to include HDMI support to get around the 165 MHz pixel clock limit. CRU 1.3 will be able to read default extension blocks using driver-specific methods, so this won't be necessary anymore.

(10-09-2016 05:03 PM)Globespy Wrote:  I'm a little afraid to try again as I almost borked my system last time around. I consider myself reasonably tech savvy, so I agree with the last post that complete noobs will end up in a bunch of trouble if they don't have a backup drive. Might be worth putting that in the OP that F8 may not work and newer systems using SSD will not be able to have BIOS boot into safe mode.
F8 should work unless the driver crashed. I'm annoyed that Microsoft made safe mode harder to get into since Windows 8. What I would like to do is make restart.exe enable safe mode automatically before restarting the driver just in case something goes wrong, but I haven't found a good way to do that yet.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2016, 12:21 PM
Hoping maybe someone can help me out. I've just set up a new PC Dell Optiplex 5040 (Win 8.1 Enterprise)- and have installed a Gigabyte AMD R7 360 card. I need to push 1080 over a VGA run that is extended with RGBHV signal cables, hence the EDID info is not passed back to the video card from the monitor. In testing, I connected a display directly to the computer, and copied the EDID settings from that monitor instance into the unidentified monitor that was detected when connected through the extension cables. (pasted in as detailed resolution). After restarting the video driver I was able to select the 1920x1080 display resolution for the unidentified/generic PnP monitor..... but after a couple of minutes, the graphics driver keeps crashing every 15-20 seconds. Any thoughts on what I might be able to do differently?
10-12-2016, 03:25 PM
Hi Toasty! Thanks for this wonderful utility! Blush I have a question about it.

I've overclocked my monitor (AOC I2369Vm) from 60Hz to 75Hz, I followed the steps on the first page and the monitor would seem work very well, only one game don't recognizes the overclocked refresh rate.
But have a doubt. At the end of the OC procedure from the first page, I missed a step, the last one. (5. Run restart.exe to restart the graphics driver.)

I haven't run the "restart.exe", but only rebooted the PC. It's a problem? This step is essential for the correct refresh rate overclock? If yes, can I run this exe now?

At the moment (after weeks of testing), the only "strange thing" that had, is on the Nvidia control panel, my monitor is setted always at 75Hz but I don't find the "preferred refresh rate" setting.

[Image: http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/2394449/width/500/height/1000/flags/LL]
*Picture taken from Internet

Why I don't find this option? This setting appears only for 120Hz native monitors or is a driver issue correlated?

Thanks in advance and sorry for my horrible english, I'm Italian Confused
10-13-2016, 12:52 AM (Last edited: 10-13-2016, 01:29 AM by itsmejhonny)
Hey, I hope somebody can help me here...
So I tried overclocking the other day. I used CRU and AMD pixel clock fix while I had DVI single link. I was capped to only 71hz with my S23A300B monitor because I was skipping frames at any higher. OK.. so I thought it had something to do with the cable lagging me behind, so I went to a local electronics store to buy DVI-D Dual Link 28AWG in which I had no difference and I was still capped to 71HZ. I think it's because the cable might be crap (the only store that kind of cable was CanadaComputers and they only had 28AWG so I was limited as to what I can get)

So my question is.. can it be because it's only 28AWG or maybe the brand of the cable is not well known (it's ICAN)? Or am I capped because my monitor says no-no to more than 71hz?

Edit: More details:
I get 148Mhz at normal refresh rate (1920X1080 @ 60Hz)
I get 178Mhz at different refresh rate (1920X1080 @ 72Hz)
I get 175Mhz at different refresh rate (1920X1080 @ 71Hz)
I get 185Mhz at different refresh rate (1920X1080 @ 75Hz)
10-14-2016, 06:34 AM
(10-12-2016 12:21 PM)trosc Wrote:  Hoping maybe someone can help me out. I've just set up a new PC Dell Optiplex 5040 (Win 8.1 Enterprise)- and have installed a Gigabyte AMD R7 360 card. I need to push 1080 over a VGA run that is extended with RGBHV signal cables, hence the EDID info is not passed back to the video card from the monitor. In testing, I connected a display directly to the computer, and copied the EDID settings from that monitor instance into the unidentified monitor that was detected when connected through the extension cables. (pasted in as detailed resolution). After restarting the video driver I was able to select the 1920x1080 display resolution for the unidentified/generic PnP monitor..... but after a couple of minutes, the graphics driver keeps crashing every 15-20 seconds. Any thoughts on what I might be able to do differently?
If the driver is crashing with an EDID override, then that's a driver bug that needs to be reported to AMD.
10-14-2016, 06:36 AM
(10-12-2016 03:25 PM)killeragosta Wrote:  I haven't run the "restart.exe", but only rebooted the PC. It's a problem? This step is essential for the correct refresh rate overclock? If yes, can I run this exe now?
No, it's not a problem. Rebooting also works, but restart.exe is useful because it has a recovery mode in case you can't see the screen.

(10-12-2016 03:25 PM)killeragosta Wrote:  At the moment (after weeks of testing), the only "strange thing" that had, is on the Nvidia control panel, my monitor is setted always at 75Hz but I don't find the "preferred refresh rate" setting.

Why I don't find this option? This setting appears only for 120Hz native monitors or is a driver issue correlated?
I have no idea. I'm not seeing that option either, but I remember seeing it before.
10-14-2016, 06:37 AM
(10-13-2016 12:52 AM)itsmejhonny Wrote:  So I tried overclocking the other day. I used CRU and AMD pixel clock fix while I had DVI single link. I was capped to only 71hz with my S23A300B monitor because I was skipping frames at any higher.
Are you sure it's only skipping frames past 71 Hz? Monitors that skip frames usually skip frames at any refresh rate higher than 60 Hz. This should be visible simply by moving the mouse cursor.

(10-13-2016 12:52 AM)itsmejhonny Wrote:  So my question is.. can it be because it's only 28AWG or maybe the brand of the cable is not well known (it's ICAN)? Or am I capped because my monitor says no-no to more than 71hz?
The cable can't cause frame skipping. Frame skipping is a monitor limitation. Using a dual-link DVI cable won't make a difference with a single-link DVI monitor.
10-14-2016, 04:25 PM
(10-14-2016 06:34 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-12-2016 12:21 PM)trosc Wrote:  Hoping maybe someone can help me out. I've just set up a new PC Dell Optiplex 5040 (Win 8.1 Enterprise)- and have installed a Gigabyte AMD R7 360 card. I need to push 1080 over a VGA run that is extended with RGBHV signal cables, hence the EDID info is not passed back to the video card from the monitor. In testing, I connected a display directly to the computer, and copied the EDID settings from that monitor instance into the unidentified monitor that was detected when connected through the extension cables. (pasted in as detailed resolution). After restarting the video driver I was able to select the 1920x1080 display resolution for the unidentified/generic PnP monitor..... but after a couple of minutes, the graphics driver keeps crashing every 15-20 seconds. Any thoughts on what I might be able to do differently?
If the driver is crashing with an EDID override, then that's a driver bug that needs to be reported to AMD.

Ok. I just wasn't sure if it was something I wasn't setting right in the config for the 'new' EDID
10-16-2016, 07:57 AM
(10-14-2016 06:36 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-12-2016 03:25 PM)killeragosta Wrote:  I haven't run the "restart.exe", but only rebooted the PC. It's a problem? This step is essential for the correct refresh rate overclock? If yes, can I run this exe now?
No, it's not a problem. Rebooting also works, but restart.exe is useful because it has a recovery mode in case you can't see the screen.

(10-12-2016 03:25 PM)killeragosta Wrote:  At the moment (after weeks of testing), the only "strange thing" that had, is on the Nvidia control panel, my monitor is setted always at 75Hz but I don't find the "preferred refresh rate" setting.

I have no idea. I'm not seeing that option either, but I remember seeing it before.

Thanks a lot Toasty! Smile
10-17-2016, 08:37 AM
I'm running a R9 270x with two LG ultrawides - a UM57 and a UM 58 on Windows 10. When I hook either of them up to the card with the HDMI cable, they work fine at 2560x1080. However, since the card only has one HDMI output, one of the monitors has to go through either a DP-HDMI or a DVI-HDMI cable. Neither one of those options (or using a DP-HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable) gives me anything above 1920x1080. The only way I can get it to work is to use the integrated GPU on my motherboard, which in turn makes it impossible to use things like Photoshop without unplugging one of the monitors (I get a GPU error and things crash the moment I start to do anything other than open a file).

So, CRU is the only option that's left. But. I've tried using CRU to set a custom resolution, but the new resolution isn't showing up in the list of resolutions in the display options of in the "All Modes" section of the display adapter properties. I've tried various refresh rates, I've tried resetting CRU and using the Radeon software to set a custom resolution (apparently the settings used for the other monitor are "not compatible" with this one, which is *identical). If I switch the cables, the monitors behave in exactly the same manner.

I'm 95% sure I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what that could be. Does anyone have any idea how to make this work? Confused