Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
10-17-2016, 09:50 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Hello, i have purchased a LG 34UM88 last week.

Im big disappointed because this monitor is 60 Hz capable, and i thought it was 75 Hz. I have an AMD r9 390 and i do activate the freesync option in the monitor OSD and raedon panel control. I do use a displayport cable.

With this normal setup i can just reach 60 Hz in the monitor windows control panel.

With CRU software i create a new custom resolution and now im able to use the 75 Hz in the windows monitor control panel.

As i understand when i use this software im overclocking the monitor. But there is a problem, when i use the 75 Hz rate, allowed by CRU, the windmill freesync software shows really weird when seeing the red bar in test pattern.

Windmill:

https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/...B5EDFFC66Y

When i use the test pattern selecting 60 Hz ( in the windows monitor panel ) it runs smooth and fine.

When i use this other test:

http://www.testufo.com/#test=framerates&...ne&pps=960

It runs much better in 60 Hz than 75 Hz.

What does that it mean?? Am i frameskipping?? Do i need to upset the voltage with CRU or another software to make the overclock usable? This monitor cant be overclocked?? Do i have to switch off the freesync to be overclocked capable?

Best regards and thank you!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2016, 07:19 AM
as soon as i add the hdmi data block to my dvi-monitor (xstar dp2710) and restart the driver it goes out range. any tipps on how to prevent that?
10-18-2016, 08:12 AM
(10-18-2016 07:19 AM)Screemer Wrote:  as soon as i add the hdmi data block to my dvi-monitor (xstar dp2710) and restart the driver it goes out range. any tipps on how to prevent that?
Try a lower refresh rate. You'll probably have to use half the refresh rate of whatever your monitor can handle with dual-link DVI.
10-18-2016, 08:14 AM
(10-17-2016 09:50 AM)casetero Wrote:  As i understand when i use this software im overclocking the monitor. But there is a problem, when i use the 75 Hz rate, allowed by CRU, the windmill freesync software shows really weird when seeing the red bar in test pattern.
Make sure to edit the FreeSync range to allow 75 Hz. Use the "Edit..." button at the top to edit the range limits, and make sure "Include if slot available" is checked. Then restart and try the windmill demo.

(10-17-2016 09:50 AM)casetero Wrote:  What does that it mean?? Am i frameskipping?? Do i need to upset the voltage with CRU or another software to make the overclock usable? This monitor cant be overclocked?? Do i have to switch off the freesync to be overclocked capable?
If the monitor is skipping frames, there's nothing you can do. The monitor might only be able to handle 75 Hz correctly with FreeSync, which isn't active on the desktop.
10-18-2016, 08:15 AM
(10-17-2016 08:37 AM)astro_noms Wrote:  I'm running a R9 270x with two LG ultrawides - a UM57 and a UM 58 on Windows 10. When I hook either of them up to the card with the HDMI cable, they work fine at 2560x1080. However, since the card only has one HDMI output, one of the monitors has to go through either a DP-HDMI or a DVI-HDMI cable. Neither one of those options (or using a DP-HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable) gives me anything above 1920x1080. The only way I can get it to work is to use the integrated GPU on my motherboard, which in turn makes it impossible to use things like Photoshop without unplugging one of the monitors (I get a GPU error and things crash the moment I start to do anything other than open a file).

So, CRU is the only option that's left. But. I've tried using CRU to set a custom resolution, but the new resolution isn't showing up in the list of resolutions in the display options of in the "All Modes" section of the display adapter properties. I've tried various refresh rates, I've tried resetting CRU and using the Radeon software to set a custom resolution (apparently the settings used for the other monitor are "not compatible" with this one, which is *identical). If I switch the cables, the monitors behave in exactly the same manner.

I'm 95% sure I'm doing something wrong, but I have no idea what that could be. Does anyone have any idea how to make this work? Confused
You need to read the part about pixel clock limits in the first post because that's the problem.
10-18-2016, 09:10 AM (Last edited: 10-18-2016, 11:05 AM by Screemer)
(10-18-2016 08:12 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-18-2016 07:19 AM)Screemer Wrote:  as soon as i add the hdmi data block to my dvi-monitor (xstar dp2710) and restart the driver it goes out range. any tipps on how to prevent that?
Try a lower refresh rate. You'll probably have to use half the refresh rate of whatever your monitor can handle with dual-link DVI.
thx. will try later.

just out of curiosity why can he get 66hz with fs enabled over dvi: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=...tcount=156

that would result in more than 240MHz pixelclock.

€dit: tried it with 1920*1080 and 60Hz and i don't get an out of range error but can't enable freesync after a driver restart.
10-18-2016, 05:28 PM
(10-18-2016 09:10 AM)Screemer Wrote:  just out of curiosity why can he get 66hz with fs enabled over dvi: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=...tcount=156

that would result in more than 240MHz pixelclock.
He said his monitor can handle 117 Hz with dual-link DVI, so that's around 58.5 Hz with single-link DVI. The limit won't be exactly half, so he can probably push a little more. He did say he was getting occasional green line artifacts at 66 Hz, so he was already pushing the limits. He only did this for testing, not for continuous use.

AMD cards support up to 297 MHz pixel clock with HDMI, but these monitors were not designed to handle higher pixel clocks with a single-link connection.

(10-18-2016 09:10 AM)Screemer Wrote:  €dit: tried it with 1920*1080 and 60Hz and i don't get an out of range error but can't enable freesync after a driver restart.
What do you mean by out of range error? The overclockable X-Star doesn't have an OSD, so it can't display an error. It doesn't have a scaler either, so it shouldn't be able to display 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz.
10-18-2016, 06:06 PM
ToastyX Wrote:

Make sure to edit the FreeSync range to allow 75 Hz. Use the "Edit..." button at the top to edit the range limits, and make sure "Include if slot available" is checked. Then restart and try the windmill demo.

-----

Fuck me!! Now it works smooth like butter at 75 Hz. Thank you for this masterpiece of software man!!
10-19-2016, 01:32 PM
Hi, i have a Samsungp2470hn and I can't get more than 61hz with it. Any advice?
10-19-2016, 04:13 PM
(10-19-2016 01:32 PM)Laincito Wrote:  Hi, i have a Samsungp2470hn and I can't get more than 61hz with it. Any advice?
Use it at 60 Hz.