Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
07-25-2013, 07:46 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
I will work on adding support for non-PnP monitors. It has to be handled a little differently, but it seems doable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2013, 11:07 PM (Last edited: 07-25-2013, 11:11 PM by paulkon)
Can't thank you enough for this brilliant utlity!

I recently bought a usb powered displayport to dual link dvi adapter which says that it supports 2560x1600@120Hz with reduced video blanking resolution. Does this correspond to using LCD reduced in CRU? Are there any side effects to using LCD reduced? And lastly, have you seen success with using an active adapter and with an overclocked 120Hz monitor? The max pixel clock listed for this adapter is 330Mhz which doesn't make sense if they advertise 2560x1600p@120Hz but maybe it'll work with the pixel clock patcher?

I plan to use this with a Qnix on a GTX 670. Going for a triple Qnix setup on a single card. I'll only be gaming on one monitor at a time so hopefully it won't be an issue.

Thanks ToastyX!
07-26-2013, 02:38 PM
"LCD standard" corresponds to CVT reduced blanking except for HDTV resolutions.

"LCD reduced" is non-standard based on what works with various monitors. It's meant to be an easier way to get higher refresh rates working with some monitors. The only side effect is the video card's memory clock can't be reduced on idle if the vertical blanking is too low because the switch is done during the blanking period. NVIDIA is more tolerant of shorter blanking periods than AMD/ATI.

You will be limited by the adapter. I don't know any adapter that can handle 2560x1600 @ 120 Hz or even 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz. The best I've heard is around 100 Hz with the Accell adapters, but even that's not guaranteed. Most adapters are designed to handle up to 330 MHz only, and some badly-made adapters can't even handle that.
07-26-2013, 08:48 PM (Last edited: 07-26-2013, 08:50 PM by Nazar)
(07-25-2013 07:46 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  I will work on adding support for non-PnP monitors. It has to be handled a little differently, but it seems doable.
Since after using that created by MonInfo .INF driver I was able to make further adjustments to the resolutions via CRU, I've also tried a few more things (because CRU's interface is more user-friendly than the one of Phoenix, and it allows some things which Phoenix doesn't). So, after I made some changes I thought about saving a new .INF file directly from CRU, so I could use it on my others computers to have a ready one-time install solution for a specific monitor. But it appears that the .INF file created by CRU is not working the same way as the one created by MonInfo. I wasn't able to add support for all those custom created resolutions on the other system by simply installing the .INF driver created by CRU. However, when I opened that file by MonInfo and then used the MonInfo option to create an .INF file, then this file started to work and provide support for all custom resolutions (after being installed as a monitor driver)... Hope this helps you to improve the CRU functionality. And thanks again for all your work and support!
07-30-2013, 03:41 PM
I have just donated via paypal because this find is gonna change the world..
Another testimonial guys. This REALLY works.. This has changed my life.. The last CRT I owned was a 19 inch view-sonic. One day I decided I was gonna get with the "Jones" and get me an LCD cuz my mate had a BenQ LCD and it was flat and stuff and cool and stuff.. I got a 19" view-sonic LCD.... My gut dropped when I realized what technology I had stepped into.. The motion blur was horrendous. At the time I was playing Unreal Tournament and I went backwards in game play. I really couldn't see anything. I was so upset.. As technology progressed over the years speeds of the LCDs have gotten quicker.. The fastest LCD I have owned is my just now superseded Acer GD245HQ 2ms 3d (non-lightboosted) 23.6 inch triple way monitor.. (3 side by side) monitor(s). Up until just yesterday I thought I was at the cutting edge... Surely to get a 1ms monitor cant be worth the money, nor the hassle.. "I'm at the tier" or so I thought. Until reading up on this new light-boost hack , tweak, ABSOLUTE AWESOMENESS that has been discovered. I went out a bought a single ASUS VG278HE monitor to see it for my own eyes. Holy F(^&ing S&%t.. Is all I can say.. I am once again back to the days of my Unreal Tournament on a 19"monitor but now the luxury of a 27".. Without a doubt this is the 7th wonder of the world. This find has brought LCDs back into the realm of gaming as we once new it.. Have no fear people. This works on the monitors that have been outlined... You will never look back.. I can now sell my 3 ACER monitors to re-coupe the cost of the ASUS and live happy. So far Ive tested Dirt 3, Battlefield 3, BioShock, Crysis 3 and the gameplay has changed people. It sis so smooth and crisp. You can see everything on the screen, as it moves, and clearly. No blurriness.. Once the blurriness kicks in your brain just switches it off., Have you noticed the latest ad campaign tactics of blurring out the surroundings of the picture that the ad makers don't want you to concentrate on? Thats what happens in game play.. Now with this light boost set in place you can see everything even if its moving.. Do it.. Do it now... It is awesome.. Now to test M.A.M.E. :thumb:
07-31-2013, 05:47 AM
Thanks for your support. Did you use CRU or did you use Strobelight? I'm just wondering because this is the CRU thread.
08-01-2013, 01:23 AM
Hi there,
I am new to this. Does CRU work with Intel 945GM graphics card as well? I am using windows 8.
After adding 1280*1024 to standard resolution and clickling OK and rebooting, nothing changes.
The resolution stays the same.
Kindly help.
08-01-2013, 11:47 AM
(08-01-2013 01:23 AM)vrindia Wrote:  Does CRU work with Intel 945GM graphics card as well?
No, Intel's driver does not support EDID overrides.
08-05-2013, 10:17 AM
(07-31-2013 05:47 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  Thanks for your support. Did you use CRU or did you use Strobelight? I'm just wondering because this is the CRU thread.
I used CRU for the initial setup and to get lightboos up and running. . But I also now use Strobelight and have it set to start up on windows startup so I can use the Ctrl+Alt+-/+ hotkey to turn lightboost on and off between resolutions.
08-06-2013, 08:35 PM (Last edited: 08-06-2013, 08:38 PM by Boildown)
I just want to mention, I've successfully used the CRU utility along with NVIDIA Pixel Clock Patcher to successfully send a 90Hz 1080p signal to a Datapath VisionRGB-E1s video capture card. This is used for streaming video games via cloned display using Open Broadcaster Software, and is done over a single-link DVI connection. Meanwhile I play the game at 120Hz and 1080p (over a dual-link DVI to a 120Hz monitor, no CRU patching required).

[Image: http://imgur.com/BbyY4rx.jpg]

Note that the top entry of 105Hz didn't work. Not sure if its the single-link DVI or the capture card that is the limitation. I plan to attempt 96Hz tonight, since people like to stream at 48Hz (which would be half). Clearly a single-link DVI connection can handle a lot more than the specs would have you believe. It would be nice if a lot more video drivers would allow you to exceed the spec at your own risk, similar to overclocking a CPU. That failing, we have CRU and the Pixel Clock Patcher Smile .