Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
04-13-2017, 05:52 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(04-13-2017 11:07 AM)iyyama Wrote:  got a new monitor that will only run at 30hz at 4k resolution, not gaming but still too low.
was hoping to get a higher framerate using CRU but get an access violation when trying to open it. Anyone know to avoid the access violation?
I actually deleted the msvcrt.dll file as it was suggested to me but still same error...
i attached a picture of the error. thank you
CRU is not going to get you a higher frame rate, but I'm concerned about why the program won't open for you. What video card do you have? Do any of the older versions work? Does anything else happen after the access violation? Do you see the program window at all even if it's blank? Who suggested to delete msvcrt.dll? Where did you delete it from?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2017, 02:59 AM (Last edited: 04-14-2017, 03:20 AM by Kert)
Can anyone point me to a guide or tell me how to test whether my non-freesync monitor (BENQ xl2411t old revision) supports freesync? I got a DP cable now (instead of DVI and shitty HDMI)
Thank you!

UPD: RIP attempts. I didn't realize my monitor doesn't have DP.
04-14-2017, 11:10 AM
(04-13-2017 05:52 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-13-2017 11:07 AM)iyyama Wrote:  got a new monitor that will only run at 30hz at 4k resolution, not gaming but still too low.
was hoping to get a higher framerate using CRU but get an access violation when trying to open it. Anyone know to avoid the access violation?
I actually deleted the msvcrt.dll file as it was suggested to me but still same error...
i attached a picture of the error. thank you
CRU is not going to get you a higher frame rate, but I'm concerned about why the program won't open for you. What video card do you have? Do any of the older versions work? Does anything else happen after the access violation? Do you see the program window at all even if it's blank? Who suggested to delete msvcrt.dll? Where did you delete it from?

why i cant get a higher refresh rate on the monitor, isnt that the point of CRU?
My Graphics card is ATI Radeon 5850.
Actually managed to open version 1.2 yesterday and change the resolution to 2880-1620, which is 3/4 of the maximum resolution, which is a good size and mouse was quite smooth. However i couldnt activate the sound on the monitor anymore, any idea why that could be?
i just put msvcrt.dll and access error in google and some guy suggested to delete it as its not an important file, but still had the same error.

thanks for your help
04-14-2017, 12:26 PM (Last edited: 04-14-2017, 12:26 PM by loccothan)
Rainbow RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Heart Happy HolyDays Heart

ZEN k17 8/16 4.01 GHz / Crosshair Hero VI / Predator 4133 CL19 1T / ATI Vega 64 XTX LiquiD / SB Z + MOD / XTR|SeaSonic 780 Platinum / CM WC Nepton 280L with Cold-Water MOD / Samie 850Evo 512GB System & RAID 0 + 2nd. 850Pro 512GB as Cache / Corsair 750D / ProLite XUB2792QSU-B1 10Bit > http://loccothan.blogspot.com
04-14-2017, 01:38 PM
For some reason, entries that are over a 450mhz pixel clock, will not show up in the Nvidia control panel. Anyone got any ideas on that? I ahve a 1080 ti with newest drivers, running windows 10.
04-14-2017, 05:36 PM
(04-14-2017 01:38 PM)ttnuagmada Wrote:  For some reason, entries that are over a 450mhz pixel clock, will not show up in the Nvidia control panel. Anyone got any ideas on that? I ahve a 1080 ti with newest drivers, running windows 10.
Is that with DVI? HDMI? DisplayPort? What monitor?
04-14-2017, 05:36 PM
(04-14-2017 11:10 AM)iyyama Wrote:  why i cant get a higher refresh rate on the monitor, isnt that the point of CRU?
Actually managed to open version 1.2 yesterday and change the resolution to 2880-1620, which is 3/4 of the maximum resolution, which is a good size and mouse was quite smooth. However i couldnt activate the sound on the monitor anymore, any idea why that could be?
i just put msvcrt.dll and access error in google and some guy suggested to delete it as its not an important file, but still had the same error.
I meant at the native resolution. It doesn't make much sense to use a monitor at a lower resolution for desktop use because the interpolation will affect text quality.

Are you using HDMI? 5000-series cards don't even support 4K resolutions with HDMI unless you use my pixel clock patch.

As for sound, older versions of CRU couldn't read extension blocks, so you have to add audio support manually or import this file: hdmi-audio.dat

Run this and give me the debug.txt file so I can see where in the loading sequence it's failing: CRU-debug.zip
04-14-2017, 05:40 PM
(04-14-2017 02:59 AM)Kert Wrote:  Can anyone point me to a guide or tell me how to test whether my non-freesync monitor (BENQ xl2411t old revision) supports freesync? I got a DP cable now (instead of DVI and shitty HDMI)
It doesn't, and the FreeSync trick only works with HDMI anyway.
04-14-2017, 08:23 PM (Last edited: 04-14-2017, 10:15 PM by ttnuagmada)
(04-14-2017 05:36 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-14-2017 01:38 PM)ttnuagmada Wrote:  For some reason, entries that are over a 450mhz pixel clock, will not show up in the Nvidia control panel. Anyone got any ideas on that? I ahve a 1080 ti with newest drivers, running windows 10.
Is that with DVI? HDMI? DisplayPort? What monitor?

DVI-D. Monitor is an Overlord Temptest x270OC. I can do it fine from the Nvidia custom res options, but I cant use DSR that way. It's weird, the refresh rate wont show up as an option until i put the pixel clock under 450mhz, at which point it shows up.
04-15-2017, 01:11 AM
(04-14-2017 05:36 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(04-14-2017 11:10 AM)iyyama Wrote:  why i cant get a higher refresh rate on the monitor, isnt that the point of CRU?
I meant at the native resolution. It doesn't make much sense to use a monitor at a lower resolution for desktop use because the interpolation will affect text quality.

Are you using HDMI? 5000-series cards don't even support 4K resolutions with HDMI unless you use my pixel clock patch.

As for sound, older versions of CRU couldn't read extension blocks, so you have to add audio support manually or import this file: hdmi-audio.dat

Run this and give me the debug.txt file so I can see where in the loading sequence it's failing: CRU-debug.zip

connected via display port not hdmi, sound worked for a couple of hours though on the 2880 resolution. i realise the text quality is not as good but native resolution is just too small for my purpose.

not sure i understand where to import the audio support file to, i cant even open it.

sorry not very good with computers, thanks