Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-06-2013, 09:30 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-06-2013 08:35 PM)Boildown Wrote:  Note that the top entry of 105Hz didn't work. Not sure if its the single-link DVI or the capture card that is the limitation. I plan to attempt 96Hz tonight, since people like to stream at 48Hz (which would be half). Clearly a single-link DVI connection can handle a lot more than the specs would have you believe. It would be nice if a lot more video drivers would allow you to exceed the spec at your own risk, similar to overclocking a CPU. That failing, we have CRU and the Pixel Clock Patcher Smile .
If it's connected to a dual-link DVI port on your video card, then you're probably hitting the single-link to dual-link switchover point. The patcher only raises the switchover point to 230 MHz to avoid affecting most dual-link DVI monitors. The video card sends a dual-link signal beyond that point, which probably won't work with the capture card. This won't happen if you use the HDMI port on your video card with an HDMI/DVI cable/adapter.

Here is a modified version of the patcher that changes the switchover point to 300 MHz: https://www.monitortests.com/nvlddmkm-pa...le-1.2.zip

You will have to run it twice to restore from backup and repatch the driver. The problem is this modification will also send a single-link DVI signal to the 120 Hz monitor. The monitor might be able to handle that anyway. If not, you'll have to use an HDMI/DVI cable/adapter for the capture card.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-06-2013, 10:10 PM (Last edited: 08-06-2013, 10:13 PM by genidoi)
Is there any way to recover from bad CRU settings? Basically I set some settings that were posted on overlord forums for 120hz, except I set the refresh rate at 110hz, and when I reboot my monitor went through (what I'm assuming is) a predefined troubleshooting script that changes the colour from red to green to blue to the colours of the rainbow to shades of grey and repeats. I then rebooted and now it's not displaying anything at all. If I take out my GPU and put it in on board it will go through that troubleshooting script as well but isn't affected by a reboot.

I had this same problem once before when I reinstalled my drivers without patching them, and in despair and stupidity deleted the 60hz profile in order to "force" my monitor to use 120hz. I solved it by installing a spare gtx 660 I had lying around, which I have since sold. I haven't done anything of the sort this time though so why is this happening?

Specs:

X Star 2560x1440 korean pls monitor (verified ocable to 120hz)
Msi 7950
Windows 7 x64
Extreme 4 mobo
08-06-2013, 10:35 PM (Last edited: 08-06-2013, 11:21 PM by Boildown)
(08-06-2013 09:30 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 08:35 PM)Boildown Wrote:  Note that the top entry of 105Hz didn't work. Not sure if its the single-link DVI or the capture card that is the limitation. I plan to attempt 96Hz tonight, since people like to stream at 48Hz (which would be half). Clearly a single-link DVI connection can handle a lot more than the specs would have you believe. It would be nice if a lot more video drivers would allow you to exceed the spec at your own risk, similar to overclocking a CPU. That failing, we have CRU and the Pixel Clock Patcher Smile .
If it's connected to a dual-link DVI port on your video card, then you're probably hitting the single-link to dual-link switchover point. The patcher only raises the switchover point to 230 MHz to avoid affecting most dual-link DVI monitors. The video card sends a dual-link signal beyond that point, which probably won't work with the capture card. This won't happen if you use the HDMI port on your video card with an HDMI/DVI cable/adapter.

Here is a modified version of the patcher that changes the switchover point to 300 MHz: https://www.monitortests.com/nvlddmkm-pa...le-1.2.zip

You will have to run it twice to restore from backup and repatch the driver. The problem is this modification will also send a single-link DVI signal to the 120 Hz monitor. The monitor might be able to handle that anyway. If not, you'll have to use an HDMI/DVI cable/adapter for the capture card.

Its a single-link DVI port on the video card that goes to the capture card.

I have a GTX 680, which has:
1 HDMI (unused), 1 DisplayPort (unused), 1 dual-link DVI (120Hz Monitor), 1 single-link DVI (capture card).

I don't really want to send a single-link signal to my 120Hz monitor connection, but that's still interesting information. In a bit I'll try setting the Hz down slightly so it falls at or just under 230 MHz and see what happens. Also the 96Hz setting.

I could use the DisplayPort for my 120Hz monitor instead (I have a BenQ with both inputs), but I can't see a display that way until it gets into Windows, the video card defaults to DVI for the Bios and bootup.
08-06-2013, 10:54 PM
(08-06-2013 10:35 PM)Boildown Wrote:  Its a single-link DVI port on the video card that goes to the capture card.

1 HDMI (unused), 1 DisplayPort (unused), 1 dual-link DVI (120Hz Monitor), 1 single-link DVI (capture card).
GTX 680 cards usually have two dual-link DVI ports.
08-06-2013, 11:18 PM (Last edited: 08-06-2013, 11:24 PM by Boildown)
(08-06-2013 10:54 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-06-2013 10:35 PM)Boildown Wrote:  Its a single-link DVI port on the video card that goes to the capture card.

GTX 680 cards usually have two dual-link DVI ports.

I just checked and you're correct, I was incorrectly assuming that because one was DVI-I and the other DVI-D, that one was dual and the other was single, but they're both dual-link.

I just tested and this was successful:

[Image: http://imgur.com/J5Pf23q.jpg]

Yet this was not:

[Image: http://imgur.com/tBr3zJ6.jpg]

For the record 96Hz was also successful. Many people stream at 48Hz (for some reason this is supposed to be better than 45Hz, even though to me 45Hz seems like a more natural fraction of 60/120Hz that the monitor probably runs at), so if there's a benefit to streaming at half of the input, this is a good thing.

So that confirms your theory on the 230 MHz limit being the limit. This capture card gets more amazing by the minute on what it can do on a single-link DVI connection.

Right now I'm going to stream with 90Hz input but at LCD Standard timings instead of LCD Reduced that I used last night. 210.98 Mhz. I have no idea if that makes any difference but it sounds better in my head.

Why would using your 1.2 patch cause my other adapter to go single-link? Would it affect the DisplayPort?
08-06-2013, 11:40 PM
(08-06-2013 11:18 PM)Boildown Wrote:  Why would using your 1.2 patch cause my other adapter to go single-link? Would it affect the DisplayPort?
The switchover point affects all dual-link DVI ports. It won't affect DisplayPort.
08-06-2013, 11:44 PM
(08-06-2013 10:10 PM)genidoi Wrote:  Is there any way to recover from bad CRU settings?
You should be able to boot into safe mode and run CRU or reset-all.exe from there.
08-11-2013, 02:38 AM (Last edited: 08-11-2013, 03:00 AM by qgshadow)
Hi Toastyx, If my Refresh rate isnt saved on reboot what am i supposed to do?

I am running windows 8 64bit
i see two refresh rate in cru for my active monitor one at 60 hz and one at 120hz, the one at 120hz is on top.

But if i go in monitor settings and look at available refresh rate i see 60 and 120 and 120hz at the bottom.

In Nvidia Panel i see 120hz and 60hz and 120hz is at the top. I am currently lost because it used to work on windows 7 no problem but now since i installed windows 8 it doesnt save on reboot.

Edit : What i noticed is, if i reboot and go directly to advanced monitor settings it will say 120hz but i know that it's not 120hz and if i click apply it will change to "real" 120hz... and the funny thing is that the Nvidia control panel shows 60hz on reboot but Advanced monitor shows 120hz even tho its a lie...
08-11-2013, 03:19 PM
(06-11-2013 09:27 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  ...
(06-08-2013 05:52 PM)Albert Kike Wrote:  By the way, I'm using AMD GUI downsampling tool, and I'm able to get a maximum resolution of 2720x1700 @ 60Hz with no problems at all -- through HDMI.
Downscaling doesn't send the higher resolution to the monitor. CRU adds monitor resolutions.

Hey all. I'll probably get shot for asking the question, but it is life or death situation anyway with AMD completely killing the current ways to downsample and both of the games I currently play don't have AA and forcing it makes horrible things to happen.
From all I have read:
NVIDIA does the downsampling at the gpu level, monitor goes native resolution image
AMD does send higher resolution to the monitor and it is monitor's job to downsample it, and here the usual limits takes place - moitor capabilities, the connector bandwidth, etc

I have tried on my U2412m downsampling tool and it worked (12.11 beta drivers). Same settings with CRU, or actually any pixel above the default resolution results in monitor message of "Unsupported video mode". If AMD downsampling really sends higher resolution to the monitor, is there, even a tiny bit of chance CRU can be used for that too?

Thanks for reading my stupid question Angel
08-11-2013, 05:07 PM
(08-11-2013 03:19 PM)Flex Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 09:27 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  ...
(06-08-2013 05:52 PM)Albert Kike Wrote:  By the way, I'm using AMD GUI downsampling tool, and I'm able to get a maximum resolution of 2720x1700 @ 60Hz with no problems at all -- through HDMI.
Downscaling doesn't send the higher resolution to the monitor. CRU adds monitor resolutions.

Hey all. I'll probably get shot for asking the question, but it is life or death situation anyway with AMD completely killing the current ways to downsample and both of the games I currently play don't have AA and forcing it makes horrible things to happen.
From all I have read:
NVIDIA does the downsampling at the gpu level, monitor goes native resolution image
AMD does send higher resolution to the monitor and it is monitor's job to downsample it, and here the usual limits takes place - moitor capabilities, the connector bandwidth, etc

I have tried on my U2412m downsampling tool and it worked (12.11 beta drivers). Same settings with CRU, or actually any pixel above the default resolution results in monitor message of "Unsupported video mode". If AMD downsampling really sends higher resolution to the monitor, is there, even a tiny bit of chance CRU can be used for that too?

Thanks for reading my stupid question Angel

From what i understand a monitor doesnt have the processing power to downsample, only way to downsample is thru GPU