Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-11-2013, 08:17 PM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
Might be true, but have read many times with AMD the downsampling is done by the monitor. As an evidence can be presented the limitations - if the gpu scales it, then you can have 5000000x30000000 image if you have the required power and memory to handle it and will not depend on the monitor, but with AMD different monitors have different maximums and the connection to the monitor provides limitation too. If it was gpu both of these issues will be nonexistent, so it looks indeed monitor does it, which brings me to why I can't make it work with CRU.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2013, 10:11 PM
If you use the downsampling tool, the higher resolution is scaled down by the GPU. The downsampling tool uses an AMD-specific method to add custom resolutions.

If you use CRU, the higher resolution is sent to the monitor. CRU uses EDID overrides to tell the video driver what resolutions are supported by the monitor. CRU would need to work completely differently to be able to support vendor-specific downsampling methods.
08-11-2013, 10:26 PM
(08-11-2013 02:38 AM)qgshadow Wrote:  But if i go in monitor settings and look at available refresh rate i see 60 and 120 and 120hz at the bottom.
That's normal. Windows lists the refresh rates from lowest to highest.

(08-11-2013 02:38 AM)qgshadow Wrote:  What i noticed is, if i reboot and go directly to advanced monitor settings it will say 120hz but i know that it's not 120hz and if i click apply it will change to "real" 120hz... and the funny thing is that the Nvidia control panel shows 60hz on reboot but Advanced monitor shows 120hz even tho its a lie...
That sounds like a driver issue. What monitor and video card?
08-12-2013, 07:08 AM
(08-11-2013 10:11 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  If you use the downsampling tool, the higher resolution is scaled down by the GPU. The downsampling tool uses an AMD-specific method to add custom resolutions.

If you use CRU, the higher resolution is sent to the monitor. CRU uses EDID overrides to tell the video driver what resolutions are supported by the monitor. CRU would need to work completely differently to be able to support vendor-specific downsampling methods.

Thanks for the response, but why then different monitors can go to different maximum resolutions and why the connector(dvi/hdmi) limits the maximum resolution? I mean if it scales by the gpu these should both be nonexistent as limitations, but they are there (with AMD).
08-12-2013, 01:33 PM
(08-11-2013 10:26 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-11-2013 02:38 AM)qgshadow Wrote:  What i noticed is, if i reboot and go directly to advanced monitor settings it will say 120hz but i know that it's not 120hz and if i click apply it will change to "real" 120hz... and the funny thing is that the Nvidia control panel shows 60hz on reboot but Advanced monitor shows 120hz even tho its a lie...
That sounds like a driver issue. What monitor and video card?

Overlord Tempest OC
780gtx SLI

it used to save refresh rate on reboot on windows 7 but since I installed windows 8 it doesn't save :\
08-12-2013, 07:22 PM
(08-12-2013 01:33 PM)qgshadow Wrote:  Overlord Tempest OC
780gtx SLI

it used to save refresh rate on reboot on windows 7 but since I installed windows 8 it doesn't save :\
Is the driver patched?

Try installing the Tempest driver: https://www.monitortests.com/tempest.zip

You have to temporarily disable driver signature enforcement to install it in Windows 8: http://sixcolumns.com/t/how-to-disable-a...dows-8/151

Then install it using the Device Manager: Right-click "Generic PnP Monitor" -> Update Driver Software... -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> Have Disk... -> Browse for the .inf file -> OK -> Next -> Install this driver software anyway
08-12-2013, 07:32 PM
(08-12-2013 07:08 AM)Flex Wrote:  Thanks for the response, but why then different monitors can go to different maximum resolutions and why the connector(dvi/hdmi) limits the maximum resolution? I mean if it scales by the gpu these should both be nonexistent as limitations, but they are there (with AMD).
Driver limits don't have to make sense. They probably didn't intend for custom resolutions to be used to scale down higher resolutions.

Most monitors will tell you what resolution the monitor is actually receiving, usually in the info section of the monitor's OSD.
08-12-2013, 08:13 PM
(08-12-2013 07:22 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 01:33 PM)qgshadow Wrote:  Overlord Tempest OC
780gtx SLI

Is the driver patched?

Try installing the Tempest driver: https://www.monitortests.com/tempest.zip

You have to temporarily disable driver signature enforcement to install it in Windows 8: http://sixcolumns.com/t/how-to-disable-a...dows-8/151

Then install it using the Device Manager: Right-click "Generic PnP Monitor" -> Update Driver Software... -> Browse my computer for driver software -> Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer -> Have Disk... -> Browse for the .inf file -> OK -> Next -> Install this driver software anyway

Thanks i'll try that when I get home.

On a side note, I was wondering is there any advantage/disadvantage to use LCD Normal / Recuded Timing for my monitor. I know my monitor works fine with both Timing Presets. In that case should I stick with the normal timings?
08-12-2013, 09:04 PM
"LCD standard" allows the video card to clock down normally when idle, but it uses a lot of bandwidth. If "LCD standard" works for you without artifacts, then you're lucky. Most people have to use "LCD reduced" to get a stable 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz, and some monitors can't even handle that.

NVIDIA cards are more tolerant of lower blanking periods, so you can probably reduce the vertical total to 1475 while still allowing it to clock down. Horizontal total can be set to 2704. That will reduce the bandwidth needed and provide a more stable signal when dealing with such high pixel clocks.
08-12-2013, 10:26 PM
(08-12-2013 09:04 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  "LCD standard" allows the video card to clock down normally when idle, but it uses a lot of bandwidth. If "LCD standard" works for you without artifacts, then you're lucky. Most people have to use "LCD reduced" to get a stable 2560x1440 @ 120 Hz, and some monitors can't even handle that.

NVIDIA cards are more tolerant of lower blanking periods, so you can probably reduce the vertical total to 1475 while still allowing it to clock down. Horizontal total can be set to 2704. That will reduce the bandwidth needed and provide a more stable signal when dealing with such high pixel clocks.

Yea the Tempest OC are pretty beast..

but yea i installed the driver but it doesn't change anything. But what i noticed is not on every reboots it resets... sometimes it stays at 120hz and some other times i have to put at 120 myself... kinda weird.