Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
08-13-2013, 12:38 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-12-2013 10:26 PM)qgshadow Wrote:  but yea i installed the driver but it doesn't change anything. But what i noticed is not on every reboots it resets... sometimes it stays at 120hz and some other times i have to put at 120 myself... kinda weird.
Is the video driver patched? I assume it is because you're able to add 120 Hz with CRU. Did you use the full patch?

Also, check CRU with SLI disabled vs. enabled to make sure there aren't two different configurations.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2013, 12:18 AM
(08-13-2013 12:38 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 10:26 PM)qgshadow Wrote:  but yea i installed the driver but it doesn't change anything. But what i noticed is not on every reboots it resets... sometimes it stays at 120hz and some other times i have to put at 120 myself... kinda weird.
Is the video driver patched? I assume it is because you're able to add 120 Hz with CRU. Did you use the full patch?

Also, check CRU with SLI disabled vs. enabled to make sure there aren't two different configurations.

Yes i did use the full patch and my SLI is always enabled. But i decided to stop investigating since changing the refresh rate every once in a while isnt that much bothering.
08-14-2013, 11:21 PM (Last edited: 08-15-2013, 04:14 AM by Stylook)
Hi,

First of all would like to thank ToastyX for his work to help us use the next gen monitor requirements for today's usage:

Would like to know after installed full patched and used the cru, the NVCP native selection of higher refresh rate 96hz to 120hz would not allowed 32bit color depth but only 16bit color depth. But if I used NVCP on custom selection of refresh rate 96hz to 120hz, the 32bit color depth could be selected. Is this expected? Here are the processes:

I have got the Qnix QX2710 and my GPU is EVGA GTX 690:

My First Attempt without Pixel Patch & CRU:

1. NVCP - under customs to test frequencies, 97hz, 110hz, 115hz and 120hz. The selections were all shown under customs.

2. Precision X - I am not sure what it will do, but in any case I just move the slider of the Pixel clock. Whatever I selected in the NVCP it will shown on the Pixel Clock slider, so I don't think I need to do anything else right? So, I didn't really need to adjust the Precision Pixel Clock.

3. Catleap 2b inf file - I installed this on generic monitor under device manager. (Could change this to qnix.zip driver from this forum later, if necessary)

Thats it, so far in BF3 the 120hz selection is shown, playing it was real fun now everything looks very clear from a distance lol.

However, I am having problem with SC2, I am using GTX 690. If I select, in the NVCP for disabled multi-gpu and select PhyX auto, the game started out fine in 120hz, but when I select in the NVCP activate multi-GPU functionality on 'Maximize 3D performance', SC2 just could not start properly and I have to close the SC2 window under desktop after contrl-alt-del.I would like to use dual gpu functionality if possible for the SC2. It's not just SC2 has problem starting up, the LA Noire also got problem at start-up if I activate multi-gpu.

2nd Attempt:
1. I installed the NVidia full patch 1.2 (latest)
2. Used CRU to put in the refresh rates as native in NVCP. (I didn't notice at the native if select anything from 96hz to 120hz, I will not be able to choose 32bit color depth, only 16bit). But if I select refresh rate at custom area for 96hz to 120hz the 32bit color depth could be enable.

This attempt has made to run SC2 at 96hz to 120hz without any intermittent lag. Also LA Noire could start properly.

So, that's my system I have to select the custom refresh rate at the NVCP to allow 32bit color depth. Not at the native selection. Is this expected?

Thank you.
08-15-2013, 02:36 PM
That's normal. If you use the NVIDIA control panel to add a refresh rate, it will be added as a custom resolution, so you have to select the custom resolution to set 32-bit color. Using the pixel clock slider is the same as using the NVIDIA control panel, so you don't need to use both.

If you delete the custom resolutions from the NVIDIA control panel and use CRU by itself, the refresh rates will be added as part of the native resolution.
08-15-2013, 11:19 PM (Last edited: 08-16-2013, 12:38 AM by Stylook)
(08-15-2013 02:36 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  That's normal. If you use the NVIDIA control panel to add a refresh rate, it will be added as a custom resolution, so you have to select the custom resolution to set 32-bit color. Using the pixel clock slider is the same as using the NVIDIA control panel, so you don't need to use both.

If you delete the custom resolutions from the NVIDIA control panel and use CRU by itself, the refresh rates will be added as part of the native resolution.

Hi ToastyX, thanks man. I just found that out. Apologies, I was trying to get the hang of the system. Yeah, when I deleted the customs and used the native I could select the 32bit Color Depth. Strange thing is that now my 120hz under native is a bit inconsistently unstable, some lines started to appear on Desktop, games at 120hz BF3 & SC2 lines are starting to appear more obviously. Strange is that when used the NVCP customs the BF3 120hz selected was ok. I guest I need to slowly adjust the config.

By the way, why only allowed 4 detailed resolutions to be put into the native? Is the reason just to use one highest possible resolution to be put into the native?
08-16-2013, 05:06 PM (Last edited: 08-16-2013, 05:09 PM by bertuslakkis)
Hello ToastyX, first of all thank you for this great tool!

I have a couple of questions about how CRU works.
Here is a screenshot of how I currently have CRU setup (I copy/pasted these same settings to my 2nd monitor):
[Image: yUVzozT.png]

Currently I only use the 8 Standard resolutions for my two Compaq P1220's (Detailed resolutions are blank) I do it like this for this reason:
In games where you cannot select your refresh rate, it doesn't force them if I use Detailed resolutions.
Is this the intended behavior? If not then how should I use Detailed resolutions vs Standard resolutions?

Because of the limitation of only 8 Standard resolutions I cannot force refresh rates for all resolutions I want, like some of the lower 1024x768 resolutions, etc.
Is there a way to get more then 8 Standard resolutions? Maybe disable some of the Established resolutions?

Thanks!
08-16-2013, 06:39 PM (Last edited: 08-16-2013, 06:48 PM by MEW2K)
Video RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
[Image: 39rReW1.png]

Hi,

I got some issues with CRU or the Nvidia Pixel Clock Patch.

GPU: GTX 690
Nvidia Version: 326.41
Monitor: X-STAR DP2710

To get past the 400 limitation I used the patch for SLI cards as suggested, more specific "nvlddmkm-patcher-full.exe"

The patcher found all limits, and the patch was successful, after the reboot I opened CRU and added the custom resolutions as shown in the picture. I copied the standard "59,950hz" option, then I went to "ADD" and pasted the settings and only changed the "refresh rate" from 59 to 96.

After I was done, I rebooted again, but when I got back and tried to change the resolution from the standard "59hz" to the custom "96hz" it didn´t even show in the dropdown list?!

Please take a look at the picture for all the settings, thanks in advance!
08-16-2013, 10:40 PM
(08-16-2013 06:39 PM)MEW2K Wrote:  The patcher found all limits, and the patch was successful, after the reboot I opened CRU and added the custom resolutions as shown in the picture. I copied the standard "59,950hz" option, then I went to "ADD" and pasted the settings and only changed the "refresh rate" from 59 to 96.

After I was done, I rebooted again, but when I got back and tried to change the resolution from the standard "59hz" to the custom "96hz" it didn´t even show in the dropdown list?!
If you run the patcher again, does it say "already patched" for all the limits? If not, try patching in safe mode.

If it's patched properly, are the refresh rates listed in the NVIDIA control panel?
08-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Big Grin RE: Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)
(08-16-2013 10:40 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(08-16-2013 06:39 PM)MEW2K Wrote:  The patcher found all limits, and the patch was successful, after the reboot I opened CRU and added the custom resolutions as shown in the picture. I copied the standard "59,950hz" option, then I went to "ADD" and pasted the settings and only changed the "refresh rate" from 59 to 96.

If you run the patcher again, does it say "already patched" for all the limits? If not, try patching in safe mode.

If it's patched properly, are the refresh rates listed in the NVIDIA control panel?

Hi and thanks for your time ToastyX!

Yes, if I run the patcher again it says "already patched" on all the limits.

The refresh rates are listed in Nvidia CP, but as I want the monitor to run at lets say 96hz in games as well, it wouldn´t work to change it within Nvidia CP right?

Thanks again for your time sir!
08-17-2013, 12:09 AM
(08-15-2013 11:19 PM)Stylook Wrote:  Strange thing is that now my 120hz under native is a bit inconsistently unstable, some lines started to appear on Desktop, games at 120hz BF3 & SC2 lines are starting to appear more obviously. Strange is that when used the NVCP customs the BF3 120hz selected was ok. I guest I need to slowly adjust the config.
Check to see if you're using the same timing parameters. "LCD standard" timing in CRU uses too much bandwidth at 120 Hz. "LCD reduced" timing uses less bandwidth, but the video card might not clock down when idle if the vertical blanking is too low.

The NVIDIA control panel on "Automatic" uses the timing parameters for 60 Hz, which has a vertical total of 1481. You can probably set that to 1475 while still allowing the video card to clock down. I believe the QNIX can handle a horizontal total of 2664, which would reduce the bandwidth further.

(08-15-2013 11:19 PM)Stylook Wrote:  By the way, why only allowed 4 detailed resolutions to be put into the native? Is the reason just to use one highest possible resolution to be put into the native?
CRU uses EDID overrides, and the base EDID only has four slots for detailed timing descriptors. It's possible to add more by creating an extension block, but CRU doesn't have that functionality yet. I plan to add that ability eventually.