DDC Handshake for Nvidia 3D Vision (not lightboost) on 2233RZ
08-04-2014, 11:49 AM (Last edited: 08-04-2014, 03:13 PM by NarcoticV)
RE: DDC Handshake for Nvidia 3D Vision (not lightboost) on 2233RZ
After some radio silence, I am now at home and am trying to get this 2233RZ monitor into the 3D mode.

Unfortunately, it seems just using the special display timings (increased vertical total) does not put the monitor in 3D mode. I used the CRU and played with the vertical total - up to an increase or decrease of 10 the monitor still accepts the signal (but doesn't go into 3D mode). Any more or less and the monitor does not accept the signal.

So I guess the most likely is that this monitor also has an encrypted DDC handshake.

I got my hands on a low-end NVidia card, and should have a DVI splitter and logic analyzer lying around somewhere, so I will try to sniff the DDC communications as you said.

Just wondering: you said you "found a weakness" that allowed a replay attack. Does that mean there is more to it than just replaying the exact same DDC communications that you captured once? Do only certain combinations work or do some other steps need to be taken in addition to the replay?

And how does your Strobelight tool actually know that the attack succeeded? Is there a reply from the monitor only if the handshake was accepted?

--Edit-- With the NVidia card, using the 3D Vision Emulator tool floating around somewhere to fool the NVidia driver into thinking there's an emitter connected, I could get the monitor into 3D mode for the first time.
As I read from others, indeed the OSD menu locks some settings and reports weird refresh rate numbers that don't make sense (185kHz hor refresh rate reported, while the standard 120Hz at this resolution would lead to 130-something).
I heard before the the DDC handshake thing is a one-time transaction, after which the special display resolutions are used to trigger 3D mode. So after enabling and then disabling 3D mode through the driver, I tried again to increase the vertical total timing to trigger 3D mode - again no luck.

Cheers!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: DDC Handshake for Nvidia 3D Vision (not lightboost) on 2233RZ - NarcoticV - 08-04-2014 11:49 AM