CRU / Dell P2720D / pixel clock / add monitor data
03-25-2020, 01:44 PM (Last edited: 03-25-2020, 04:04 PM by sempronius)
RE: CRU / Dell P2720D / pixel clock / add monitor data
(03-25-2020 11:12 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  If you have a 2560x1440 @ 60 Hz monitor, and the EDID defines 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz, then "no scaling" will do nothing at 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz with display scaling because the monitor is handling the scaling.

Since "display scaling: no scaling" does not work with the Dell monitor, this would mean that 1920x1080@60Hz is defined by the EDID, as I understand it now... Hope, this is correct.

Quote:If the EDID does not define 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz, the graphics driver automatically adds 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz as a scaled resolution, so "no scaling" will work in that case.

Since "display scaling: no scaling" (and also "GPU scaling: no scaling") works with the HP monitor (centered image with black bars), I conclude that 1920x1080@60Hz is NOT defined by the EDID but added by the graphics driver.

Additionally:
- Using GPU scaling, the pixel clock of the higher (=the native) resolution is still in effect, whilst with display scaling the corresponding pixel clock of the lower resolution is in effect.

- With GPU scaling (if what I wrote about the pixel clock above is true), the stress on the monitor electronics and graphics adapter is still the same as with the native resolution, right? So trying a lower resolution with black bars will not help to keep the GPU temperature lower and the monitor more within its specifications? I guess, this is correct...

Hope, I got all these things right now. :-) Thanks.

Is there a drawback to GPU scaling as opposed to display scaling? Some sites talk of higher input lag and such things but others say that this is nonsense.

I sometimes (for gaming purposes) run the Dell overclocked (from 60Hz to 74Hz), but not for the desktop (reading, working, browsing the web...).
Dell states that overclocking a monitor voids its warranty. Do you think (or know) that this is even detectable?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: CRU / Dell P2720D / pixel clock / add monitor data - sempronius - 03-25-2020 01:44 PM