ASUS VX248H EDID Flash Failure
01-20-2022, 04:50 AM
ASUS VX248H EDID Flash Failure
Hello i've tried to flash the EDID of my ASUS VX248H monitor but i can't i get write permission denied, i've read a topic where a guy says that he turn BURN IN mode to ON and it enables EDID Write Permission but it does just not work with my monitor, i also have no such option to enable EDID Write Permission on service menu.

Does anyone know a way to enable Write Permission on this monitor ?

Thanks

Service menu picture:

[Image: 1-BE4-EA47-E03-F-489-A-926-E-6234-EDDAFFBC.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2022, 05:27 AM
RE: ASUS VX248H EDID Flash Failure
I've heard of burn-in mode disabling write protection, but that might not apply to your monitor. The only other way I know is to physically modify the hardware to remove the write-protection pin from the EEPROM chip: https://blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/hardware-mod/
01-20-2022, 08:09 AM (Last edited: 01-20-2022, 08:25 AM by kaxapo69)
(01-20-2022 05:27 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  I've heard of burn-in mode disabling write protection, but that might not apply to your monitor. The only other way I know is to physically modify the hardware to remove the write-protection pin from the EEPROM chip: https://blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/hardware-mod/

Yes but i tried it for the BURN IN mode i set it to ON i stay on the service menu and tried to flash but i still got the error, i tried exiting the service menu with it ON also but it stills get write error.

For the physical way, do you think my monitor have the same chip ? if yes im ok to try it ! =)

Thanks

Edit:

Quote:./edit-rw -w -s 0.01 X < edid_120hz-lightboost-only.bin
Note: The small delay (-s 0.01) is necessary, otherwise you get error messages. If you are trying to reflash other monitors, you may need larger values (especially on older models, such as the ASUS VG278H which has very slow I2C). Also, if you ever want to restore your old EDID, this is the same command you use (with the backup .bin file you saved). This is useful when you want to sell your monitor, for example.

PS: i dont tried to use this method of small delay, do you think the error comes from here ? on the tutorial i've watched the guy does not use this method of small delay and it works ?
01-20-2022, 04:01 PM
(01-20-2022 08:09 AM)kaxapo69 Wrote:  PS: i dont tried to use this method of small delay, do you think the error comes from here ? on the tutorial i've watched the guy does not use this method of small delay and it works ?
That would depend on the monitor. Most likely it's just write-protected. If it doesn't have the same chip, you will have to find the datasheet for the chip and see if there's a write-protect pin.
01-21-2022, 12:20 AM
(01-20-2022 04:01 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(01-20-2022 08:09 AM)kaxapo69 Wrote:  PS: i dont tried to use this method of small delay, do you think the error comes from here ? on the tutorial i've watched the guy does not use this method of small delay and it works ?
That would depend on the monitor. Most likely it's just write-protected. If it doesn't have the same chip, you will have to find the datasheet for the chip and see if there's a write-protect pin.

Yes i tried it even with the -s 0.01 option and i still get the error i guess it is just physically write protected =)
01-22-2022, 10:50 AM
Hello ToastyX so i managed to open the monitor and get into the motherboard i also managed to find the 2 little 8 pins chips but while trying my best i could not read what was written on it but im pretty sure there is no "ATML" written on it, it has 8 pins too but i was to scary of breaking the same pin as in the tutorial and the screen dying after that.. here are some pics:

[Image: B95-AFE46-F63-A-4-A07-AA32-E4-BF351-B1-F00.png]

[Image: 9-E8-D17-B3-9-C38-45-A4-B78-E-DE1-ACC06320-A.png]

What are your thoughts on this situation ?

Thanks
01-22-2022, 03:12 PM
The pictures are not clear enough to read the writing. I can barely make it out, but I think it might be an ST brand chip. The pin layout is probably the same for most EEPROM chips. The hard part is figuring out which is pin 7. There's usually an indent or dot to indicate pin 1, but I can't see it in the picture.
01-22-2022, 03:44 PM
Yes i think you are right, i’ m pretty sure i’ve seen a ST icon on the chip and doing a general eeprom research on ST website it is also the pin 7 at least from what i understood.

Take a look:

[Image: FF704583-FEA3-4761-8415-FC0-CEC01-F043.png]