CRU 1.3 preview
10-06-2016, 11:25 AM (Last edited: 10-06-2016, 11:34 AM by mtrai)
RE: CRU 1.3 preview (P2)
Yes I have tried min/max from 70/75 and worked my way down to min 30 and still got the blanking, once I turn down the max from 75 to 70 no more blanking. So then I once again tested 70 max all the way down to 30. Then the last step was leaving the min at 30, and started adding 1 hz increments to the max to to find out it works up to 74, but then at 75 just starts blanking only when full screen freesync is engaged.

Note it does not blank if freesync is disabled in 3d applications or games.

I was thinking it might be a scaler limit as you mentioned or tweaked firmware. I was not sure which timing parameter to change as I hardly spend much time really overclocking my monitors other then to about 75

With all this I am not yet sure how the windmill demo determines the freesync range but when I set it to max of less then 74 the demo then limits the max to 55 FPS it seems, not sure if artificial or not within windmill demo. two things about the windmill demo it is older and does not support crossfire, only single gpu will run in the windmill demo, however other crossfire 3d fullscreen will work that are aware of crossfire.

2nd thing about the windmill demo it was not meant as a test for the public but was designed specifically to showcase at some trade show freesync on laptops via the eDP port within the laptop. So I am having a bit of doubt about how useful.

Going to try the G-sync pendulum demo.

I also read in the last couple days somewhere and wish I could remember where but it was from AMD on freesync over HDMI that AMD would be providing a "proprietary" edid block for freesync over HDMI just might need to see if that could be found or read from an edid.

Thanks again for all your work over the years, and I know this is and was not a design for CRU or you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2016, 03:35 AM (Last edited: 10-07-2016, 03:37 AM by falkentyne)
(10-02-2016 09:57 AM)loccothan Wrote:  
(10-01-2016 09:43 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(09-30-2016 08:46 AM)loccothan Wrote:  YES it is working also in Full Screen Mode
But for my CRT I Have to set Freesync in range: 60-120
Can you take a video with FreeSync on and with FreeSync off? The change in flicker as the refresh rate changes should be visible in the video if FreeSync is actually working.

(09-30-2016 08:46 AM)loccothan Wrote:  Here you can see if it work
Download the windmill Freesync Demo for Radeons:
https://www.asuswebstorage.com/navigate/...B5EDFFC66Y
I can't test this until I get a FreeSync-capable video card. What adapter are you using with your CRT?

This is German made Vivanco Active HDMI->VGA with 295 Pix.Clock
http://www.vivanco.com/Homepage/Products...rettyPhoto
I know this is strange, but FS really working Idea

You need FS GPU capable + LCD/LED/CRT monitor.
FS comunicate with GPU to render more fluent FPS in Game.
Simply put -> its better with FS ON than OFF

And Bro, i don't have a must to force somebody else to bolieve what i've experience, but its working im sure of that.
I think than everyone need to test this on his own and then elaborate.

And Big THX for your work !!

UPD. I made some Testing with Frame Times etc.
programs used:

FRAPS + of course The FLA Calculator ( http://www.gpureport.cz/Windows/FLAcalcu...lator.aspx )
Best experience when Gaming is when Freesync is ON and V-Sync OFF (Yes for all Games i've tested, FS have always better Frame Times and more Stable FPS overall)

The Witcher III Ultra with Ubersampling On
http://i65.tinypic.com/zl56bt.jpg
http://i65.tinypic.com/29fczuv.jpg

Shadow Of Mordor Dx11
http://i68.tinypic.com/wi26pu.jpg

Far Cry 4 DX11
http://i68.tinypic.com/lwnk7.jpg

Heroes VII DX9
http://i63.tinypic.com/oh45e.jpg

ME DX11.1
http://i67.tinypic.com/zulbnn.jpg

From my observations i've noticed that Gameplays have More FPS and those FPS are very 'Stable'.
Here is all i can do.
If you need i can upload for you FRAPS Output Frame Times File.

How exactly do you get freesync working, then?
It just says "AMD freesync: Not supported."
Does this require displayport or DVI? I'm using displayport ON A 144HZ LCD (Benq XL2720Z).
10-07-2016, 03:57 AM
(10-07-2016 03:35 AM)falkentyne Wrote:  How exactly do you get freesync working, then?
Does this require displayport or DVI? I'm using displayport ON A 144HZ LCD (Benq XL2720Z).
It requires HDMI. I'll post some findings tomorrow.
10-07-2016, 04:17 AM (Last edited: 10-07-2016, 04:18 AM by falkentyne)
(10-07-2016 03:57 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  
(10-07-2016 03:35 AM)falkentyne Wrote:  How exactly do you get freesync working, then?
It requires HDMI. I'll post some findings tomorrow.

Thanks, ToastyX. I'll wait. No dice at all on all three connections Sad

I tried a regular HDMI cable and when I added a freesync range, Radeon settings said it was a DVI-D connection instead of HDMI...hmph...(before adding the freesync range, it said HDMI).

But if this is guaranteed working with that strange adapter...this is bigger news than that "Gsync on Laptops" thing...
10-07-2016, 04:52 AM
(10-07-2016 04:17 AM)falkentyne Wrote:  I tried a regular HDMI cable and when I added a freesync range, Radeon settings said it was a DVI-D connection instead of HDMI...hmph...(before adding the freesync range, it said HDMI).
You need to add an HDMI support data block.
10-07-2016, 07:27 AM
Ugh, I tried that and the Freesync option appeared but my monitor just black screened a few seconds after the AMD Freesync demo started, and would occasionally flash "out of range" randomly for like half a second :/ Even when I set the freesync range to 50-60hz.

I have a feeling it would work if I could get it to activate over Displayport Sad Oh well.
10-07-2016, 08:58 AM (Last edited: 10-07-2016, 09:07 AM by mtrai)
(10-07-2016 07:27 AM)falkentyne Wrote:  Ugh, I tried that and the Freesync option appeared but my monitor just black screened a few seconds after the AMD Freesync demo started, and would occasionally flash "out of range" randomly for like half a second :/ Even when I set the freesync range to 50-60hz.

I have a feeling it would work if I could get it to activate over Displayport Sad Oh well.

Active adapter may or may not be required. I can help you out if you need.

It is a bit finicky and not always straight forward in enabling. What I did at the start was disable all but the monitor I was testing on. I disabled crossfire and went from there.

YOu do have to import the HDMI data block in the other CRU sticky thread, you cannot just add data blocks. After you import that data block then you have to add freesync and I add the HDMI 2.0 ( not sure if it is really needed or not) Also you may or may not have to patch the drivers. With that said there are some other things that come up.

See here my thread with step by step pics. http://www.overclock.net/t/1612992/enabl...-more-work

If ToastyX or others need I can post the series here as well.

Here were some musing and findings I posted over at guru3d last night that should help explain this freesync over HDMI situation and why it partially works.

Alrighty after a lot of changing things with my lcd panel I have figured out a few things and also done a lot of deep digging on the web to find freesync over hdmi info from AMD.

For my panel it does indeed work with a few cavets that need to be mentioned:

Freesync over HDMI can work with any LCD that already has the proper type of asic controller chip, the difference being several things. There is nothing special about these chips AMD went the route of using existing ones as a cost measure for the monitor. They did write custom firmware specifically for these chips in the monitor and proprietary edid data blocks.

1. What we are adding in the ove ride edid is only partial freesync info for the asic chip, it will work somewhat depending on which one is in your monitors control board.

2. For full freesync and what I mean here is for full freesync in the asic controller chip you need the custom firmware.

3. Freesync over HDMI is already fully implemented in the crimson drivers.

With all this said in my case, I using it on an LG 29UM58 ultra wide screen, going by specs it does vertical of 48 -75 but we already know the lower range can be extended on freesync.

I was having an issue with freesync being enabled at 48 to 75, but remember this is not full implementation, I tried so many combinations of ranges and what I found is my working freesync range is 30 to 74, yep 30 to 74 any other combination with the max at 75 causes blanking when freesync engages. This leads me to believe it is full implementation but only partial as I do not have the firmware update.

The curious thing was last night I was looking at the freesync over hdmi monitor list at amd and a there was a new entry for lg which was not there a few days ago, the LG 29um58a ( which does not exist) but the from appearances it the same as my 29um58.

We only have a partial freesync/hdmi edid data block without the monitor firmware. We will either need one or the other, with the firmware being the preferred one. ToastyX can explain the asic chip route that AMD choose better then I could ever do it.

Case in point I have 3 monitors and 1 HD 4k TV hooked up to my system I can enable freesync on 2 of the monitors and the TV. No matter what it will not enable and work one monitor, incidentally it not my oldest one either. This leads me to also believe the driver does indeed have some check for the correct asic chips in the monitor. I can't prove anything I say I believe.
10-07-2016, 01:08 PM (Last edited: 10-07-2016, 02:15 PM by Screemer)
@ToastyX: Do you think that you can get Freesync working with DVI as well?

could it be working with a active dp->dvi-adapter? u know what i'll give it a try. saddly my acctel adapter has a max. refreshrate of ~72Hz and is nowhere near the ~115Hz my Monitor could do.

€dit: doesn't work dp->dvi-adapter. but worth the try.
10-08-2016, 12:17 AM
I posted this over at Guru3D: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5343089

ToastyX Wrote:I got an RX 480 and did some testing.

Good news: It's real! FreeSync is actually working and changing the refresh rate on the fly.

Bad news: The trick only works with HDMI. The driver will not allow FreeSync to be enabled with DVI or DisplayPort using this trick.

Unfortunately, the only monitor I have with HDMI (ASUS VG248QE) blacks out when FreeSync is enabled regardless of the range, and the monitor without a scaler (Yamakasi Catleap 2B) only has dual-link DVI, although it can also handle single-link DVI at lower pixel clocks. I tried using an HDMI-DVI cable and the usual trick of adding an HDMI support data block, but it was still detected as DVI with the RX 480. I also can't test the 14" CRT until I get an HDMI-VGA adapter.

So how do I know it works? I managed to trick the driver into allowing it with the Catleap using a DVI splitter.

First, I had to connect the ASUS to the splitter using a DVI-HDMI cable so it would be detected as HDMI. Then I set everything up and connected the Catleap to the splitter. Unfortunately, using the splitter with HDMI limits the Catleap to single-link DVI, and using a splitter degrades the signal, so I couldn't test it at the Catleap's full resolution without flickering green lines. However, I found that both monitors will display 2560x1080, although the Catleap will repeat the image at the bottom because it doesn't have a scaler.

When I ran the FreeSync windmill demo, the ASUS blacked out while the Catleap handled FreeSync perfectly at 30-60 Hz:

FreeSync ON with VSync OFF showed no tearing or judder as the frame rate changed with the FPS sweep option.
FreeSync OFF with VSync OFF showed tearing.
FreeSync OFF with VSync ON showed judder.

This means FreeSync is possible with DVI if the driver would allow it. I bet this would also work with other overclockable Korean monitors. It might even work with G-SYNC monitors if AMD would allow this to work with DisplayPort.

I'm trying to think of a way to show this is working, but it's hard to come up with a test using a camera because videos have fixed frame rates. I'll brainstorm some ideas and report back.
10-08-2016, 05:45 PM (Last edited: 10-08-2016, 05:51 PM by mtrai)
(10-08-2016 12:17 AM)ToastyX Wrote:  I posted this over at Guru3D: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5343089

ToastyX Wrote:I got an RX 480 and did some testing.

Good news: It's real! FreeSync is actually working and changing the refresh rate on the fly.

Bad news: The trick only works with HDMI. The driver will not allow FreeSync to be enabled with DVI or DisplayPort using this trick.

Unfortunately, the only monitor I have with HDMI (ASUS VG248QE) blacks out when FreeSync is enabled regardless of the range, and the monitor without a scaler (Yamakasi Catleap 2B) only has dual-link DVI, although it can also handle single-link DVI at lower pixel clocks. I tried using an HDMI-DVI cable and the usual trick of adding an HDMI support data block, but it was still detected as DVI with the RX 480. I also can't test the 14" CRT until I get an HDMI-VGA adapter.

So how do I know it works? I managed to trick the driver into allowing it with the Catleap using a DVI splitter.

First, I had to connect the ASUS to the splitter using a DVI-HDMI cable so it would be detected as HDMI. Then I set everything up and connected the Catleap to the splitter. Unfortunately, using the splitter with HDMI limits the Catleap to single-link DVI, and using a splitter degrades the signal, so I couldn't test it at the Catleap's full resolution without flickering green lines. However, I found that both monitors will display 2560x1080, although the Catleap will repeat the image at the bottom because it doesn't have a scaler.

When I ran the FreeSync windmill demo, the ASUS blacked out while the Catleap handled FreeSync perfectly at 30-60 Hz:

FreeSync ON with VSync OFF showed no tearing or judder as the frame rate changed with the FPS sweep option.
FreeSync OFF with VSync OFF showed tearing.
FreeSync OFF with VSync ON showed judder.

This means FreeSync is possible with DVI if the driver would allow it. I bet this would also work with other overclockable Korean monitors. It might even work with G-SYNC monitors if AMD would allow this to work with DisplayPort.

I'm trying to think of a way to show this is working, but it's hard to come up with a test using a camera because videos have fixed frame rates. I'll brainstorm some ideas and report back.

HEHE like I have been saying I really and it is just my opinion that the AMD windmill freesync test is not too valid as it was writting specifically to show off freesync on laptops with a built eDP to the lcd screen. It also has never been updated to use crossfire, I have yet to find a way to force crossfire with this freesync mod in the AMD Windmill Demo. However the freesync works in other crossfire situation.

Anyhow your Catleap testing is sound and that is what matters and you figured the limitations based on how you had to go about it. With this method everyone config will potentially be different.

First world problem is I am having a hard time finding something to really test freesync in crossfire as everything I already push well above my monitors max freesync range.

I found a firmware release for "korean" Monitor/TV that updated for freesync over HDMI but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to open it. Some Wasabi Mango 4k thing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0l8au...FJ3S2JpSDQ