Custom Resolution Utility
04-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Custom Resolution Utility
Hello everyone
I want to change the 60 Hz to 75 Hz for my monitor, which is BenQ GW2760HS ( GTX 660 Gigabyte )
Whatever i'm doing, i can't set the Custom Resolution Utility to Automatic LCD Standard. I can only use Automatic LCD Reduced, but if i use this option, the colors seems to be washed out, even if they are untouched in the Nvidia Control Panel or the monitor menu.
I don't know why it's impossible to use Automatic LCD Standard when i change the 60 Hz to 72 or 75. Actually i can, but everything looks crap / unreadable /
I attache here 2 images. One with the options from Automatic LCD Standard and the other one with Automatic LCD Reduced. The values are different. Could that be the reason for the washed out colors ?

http://postimg.org/image/6srekj9nz/

http://postimg.org/image/vt52y9ufb/

Any ideas, guys ?
Thank you in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2014, 01:25 AM
RE: Custom Resolution Utility
(04-09-2014 01:32 PM)sioux Wrote:  I want to change the 60 Hz to 75 Hz for my monitor, which is BenQ GW2760HS ( GTX 660 Gigabyte )
Whatever i'm doing, i can't set the Custom Resolution Utility to Automatic LCD Standard. I can only use Automatic LCD Reduced, but if i use this option, the colors seems to be washed out, even if they are untouched in the Nvidia Control Panel or the monitor menu.
The timing parameters shouldn't affect the colors, but some monitors may behave differently with certain timing parameters. If you're using HDMI, the video driver might be using limited range RGB instead of full range: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=83

(04-09-2014 01:32 PM)sioux Wrote:  I don't know why it's impossible to use Automatic LCD Standard when i change the 60 Hz to 72 or 75. Actually i can, but everything looks crap / unreadable
If you're using a dual-link DVI port on your video card and the pixel clock is greater than 165 MHz, the video card will send a dual-link DVI signal, which won't display properly on a single-link DVI monitor.

I have driver patches that raise that limit:
(09-07-2012 09:06 PM)ToastyX Wrote:  
04-10-2014, 05:29 AM (Last edited: 04-10-2014, 06:35 AM by sioux)
Should i install this Nvidia Pixel Clock Patcher ? Please give me more details about.
I uninstalled Custom Resolution Utility. If i use this tool ( Nvidia Pixel Clock Patcher ) do i have to install it before i install Custom Resolution Utility, or after ?
Thank you very much
LE : i'm using a DVI DVI cable. I tried with this patch, but i have artifacts. Should i try with HDMI HDMI cable ? Would that help ?
04-10-2014, 07:17 PM
(04-10-2014 05:29 AM)sioux Wrote:  Should i install this Nvidia Pixel Clock Patcher ? Please give me more details about.
I uninstalled Custom Resolution Utility. If i use this tool ( Nvidia Pixel Clock Patcher ) do i have to install it before i install Custom Resolution Utility, or after ?
The order doesn't matter. The patcher modifies the video driver to change the pixel clock limits.

(04-10-2014 05:29 AM)sioux Wrote:  LE : i'm using a DVI DVI cable. I tried with this patch, but i have artifacts. Should i try with HDMI HDMI cable ? Would that help ?
Have you tried clicking "Add..." and just changing the refresh rate without using any of the timing options? If that doesn't help, try HDMI. The monitor might behave differently with HDMI.
05-18-2014, 09:21 AM (Last edited: 05-18-2014, 09:22 AM by siouxx)
Hello again, it's me, sioux, i opened this thread but i forgot the password so i made a new nickname.
I tried everything possible, with those patches as well, but the colors are still washed out after i change from 60 Hz to 72 or 75 Hz.
I tried with DVI DVI cable, now i have DVI - HDMI cable. I didn't try HDMI - HDMI cable. Should i, maybe ? Do i have a chance ?
ToastyX, you asked me " Have you tried clicking "Add..." and just changing the refresh rate without using any of the timing options ? "
Yes, i did that, too. No luck.
Please tell me what else i could try. There must be a way to have 75 Hz but with the nice colors i have when i use 60 Hz.
Thank you

LE : I tried to open those 2 links from this page, but they won't open at all

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=83
05-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Changing the refresh rate should not affect the colors. The patch should let you use "LCD standard" or the default timing parameters without making the image unreadable. If that didn't help the colors, then it's probably a monitor or panel limitation.

DVI should not have any color issues. HDMI can have color issues with full range vs. limited range RGB. If the colors are washed out, then you want full range RGB, which can be set for NVIDIA cards using the tool I linked. You might have to use an HDMI-HDMI cable for the option to work. If that doesn't help, then it's probably a monitor or panel limitation that you can't do anything about.

(05-18-2014 09:21 AM)siouxx Wrote:  LE : I tried to open those 2 links from this page, but they won't open at all

http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=83
I'm not having any trouble with the links. Here is a mirror: https://www.monitortests.com/NV_RGBFullRangeToggle.zip
05-19-2014, 01:27 PM
I was able to download and install this tool, but something strange happent.
Before i started to test it, i had everything " normal " i mean 60Hz, nice colors, brightness / contrast / and so on
Ok, i opened Nvidia RGB Full Range Toogle, cliked on SET FULL RANGE ( 0 - 255 ) apply - reboot.
Surprise. After reboot, even if i didn't change the 60Hz, the colors ( light blue especialy ) were washed out again.
And i want to specify what i mean by " washed out colors, etc "
The light blue looks different, whatever i'm doing after that.
It seems that the brightness / contrast / color range / are different.
Very hard to explain, my english isn't so good, by the way.
Someone, on other forum, said

" Try the black levels test. How visible are the first few steps in full mode and limited mode? Your TV might be expecting a limited RGB / YCbCr signal and instead receiving full.

If you set the TV to full range then I believe you will not have that problem anymore. It seems that setting the refresh rate higher switches that setting "

And he posted me a link : http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
I did test it, but i couldn't see nothing "strange" with the black level test.
How should i set the tv ( monitor ) to full range ?
From the OSD monitor menu, i did already. Something is changing the RGB, after i use / test / Nvidia RGB Full Range Toogle or after i change the 60Hz to 75Hz ?
That's the problem i have to solve it. What / why / how / is the RGB changing, and how could i have it back when i change from 60Hz to 75Hz.
05-19-2014, 01:47 PM
Does the monitor have a "full range" option? Where is the RGB changing? This shouldn't affect monitor settings.
05-19-2014, 02:09 PM (Last edited: 05-19-2014, 02:10 PM by siouxx)
Yes, i have the HDMI RGBPC Range
There are 2 options : RGB ( 0 -255 )
RGB ( 16 - 235 )
It's already to RGB ( 0 - 255 )
And i have something else, called " Display Mode " with 2 other options " Full " and " Aspect "
Is set to Full

Here is a very short video with the OSD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbhdCaw_5oQ
05-19-2014, 04:53 PM
You said something is changing the RGB. Where is the RGB changing? In the monitor settings? This should not be complicated. If the monitor is set to full range and the video driver is set to full range, then the colors should not be washed out.

"Display Mode" is for scaling lower resolutions. That wouldn't affect colors.